Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:33 pm

Apparently they are looking for a lifeline
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hertz-in...ions-1.1413110
Wow, 17 billion in debt

I don't understand business well, but Hertz is saying nothing due yet. But I would presume lenders aren't happy with a company that has lots of money borrowed and no income, and might ask it to be returned sooner?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy
Update. The SeaTac Airport location is closed. Only a few staff members but only for returns, no contracts are being written.
new reservation is still accepted online for this place tho
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:10 am

I passed this week by MIA and FLL, both locations had no luxury rentals in PC despite overflowing parking lots. There was BMW X1 and 3 series yesterday in MIA but both locked, staff member came over and said all luxury rentals are being sent back to the dealers. I assume they're cutting out costs by downsizing the fleet starting with the least often rented cars to improve cashflows.
Auto Enthusiast and KenTarmac like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Wish they created some special deals. Happy to rent some fun cars from them for the next months but prices haven't dropped much at all (in UK).
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LPan
I passed this week by MIA and FLL, both locations had no luxury rentals in PC despite overflowing parking lots. There was BMW X1 and 3 series yesterday in MIA but both locked, staff member came over and said all luxury rentals are being sent back to the dealers. I assume they're cutting out costs by downsizing the fleet starting with the least often rented cars to improve cashflows.
I ran into the same situation at AVP upon arrival on Sunday. Granted this is a smaller airport. As a PC member and employee of a VERY large corporate Hertz account I can generally land some nice upgrades. Granted, I've never landed the BMW X1 or 3 series or equivalent but I do expect better run-of-the mill upgrades.

They have no PC isle here so I had to go to the counter, the prick at the counter offered me a Ford Fusion or a Nissan Altima and insisted that I could only get a one class upgrade from an intermediate as "those are the rules." I said "Are you kidding me, no one is flying, you've got a lot full of cars and that's the best you can do?" I asked for an SUV, as I had just dropped off a very nice new Chevy Tahoe that I had in Mississippi (Thanks to the JAN Hertz counter!). He said well, I can offer you a small SUV and offered me a Cherokee and some other SUV. I took the Cherokee.

Regardless of the current situation, It's not at all unusual for me to get a Chrysler 300 Sport or equivalent high end vehicle at the bigger airports. I hate small airport Hertz counters. They're so stingy with the upgrades and insist on charging the $25 / day upgrade fee which is never the case at the bigger airports.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I ran into the same situation at AVP upon arrival on Sunday. Granted this is a smaller airport. As a PC member and employee of a VERY large corporate Hertz account I can generally land some nice upgrades. Granted, I've never landed the BMW X1 or 3 series or equivalent but I do expect better run-of-the mill upgrades.

They have no PC isle here so I had to go to the counter, the prick at the counter offered me a Ford Fusion or a Nissan Altima and insisted that I could only get a one class upgrade from an intermediate as "those are the rules." I said "Are you kidding me, no one is flying, you've got a lot full of cars and that's the best you can do?" I asked for an SUV, as I had just dropped off a very nice new Chevy Tahoe that I had in Mississippi (Thanks to the JAN Hertz counter!). He said well, I can offer you a small SUV and offered me a Cherokee and some other SUV. I took the Cherokee.

Regardless of the current situation, It's not at all unusual for me to get a Chrysler 300 Sport or equivalent high end vehicle at the bigger airports. I hate small airport Hertz counters. They're so stingy with the upgrades and insist on charging the $25 / day upgrade fee which is never the case at the bigger airports.
I’ve been told by 3 HLEs that the upgrade for PC is as available and they didn’t have any full size for me and the most ridiculous thing is they all tried to put me in a Sentra (which is definitely undoubtedly the worst choice in the entire class) when I booked an intermediate, all happened this year before the cononavirus

also very early this year in JFK, the pc lot only had a caravan, five star had multiple minivans, gold nearly empty. I reserred a premium but eventually after 30 min wait drove away with a corolla. Lower your expectation for this company, honestly I got more upgrades when I was nothing or simply a gold member than I’m a PC
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:49 pm

JAN is corporate. AVL is an independent licensee. That's probably part of the reason why they didn't let you keep the same car, or offer you something comparable to it.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
JAN is corporate. AVL is an independent licensee. That's probably part of the reason why they didn't let you keep the same car, or offer you something comparable to it.
Thanks for the clarification on location types. It seems all the small airports are "independent licensees". But yeah, that would explain the difference in service.

Stay safe - and healthy out there everyone!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification on location types. It seems all the small airports are "independent licensees". But yeah, that would explain the difference in service.

Stay safe - and healthy out there everyone!
Definitely not all. Most of them are corporate. The major exception is airports in Western states - Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah (except SLC) are almost all run by a company called Overland West, which has better service and selection than Hertz corporate locations. Everywhere else in the country, franchises are few and far between.
Auto Enthusiast and KenTarmac like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
Hertz has begun to shift all customers renting from Dollar/Thifty to the Hertz counter and lot. They have started blocking Thifty/Dollar stalls with overflow cars as seen in the picture below. They have also started a practice where they park two - three vehicles horizontally in the front and back of a group of traditionally stacked cars that were recently returned - not sure what that's all about. Presumably cars that have yet to be initially disinfected?

Reserved lot has been organised by class/vehicle type which I've never seen before and saw a number of cars with NY tags lined up in a row.
Garage is eerily quiet - rented Wed - Thurs and Fri - Sun this week and noticed numerous cars in gold lot in their same spot Sunday as they were Wednesday.
Lots of semis there too - are they taking cars to satellite lots?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by isiegel3
Hertz has begun to shift all customers renting from Dollar/Thifty to the Hertz counter and lot. They have started blocking Thifty/Dollar stalls with overflow cars as seen in the picture below. They have also started a practice where they park two - three vehicles horizontally in the front and back of a group of traditionally stacked cars that were recently returned - not sure what that's all about. Presumably cars that have yet to be initially disinfected?

Reserved lot has been organised by class/vehicle type which I've never seen before and saw a number of cars with NY tags lined up in a row.
Garage is eerily quiet - rented Wed - Thurs and Fri - Sun this week and noticed numerous cars in gold lot in their same spot Sunday as they were Wednesday.
Lots of semis there too - are they taking cars to satellite lots?
They're probably trying to maximize available space to store cars. What location is this? Lots of East Coast/industrial Midwest states are getting one-ways from people trying to get out of New York.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 4, 2020 at 6:16 pm Reason: image removed from quote
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:48 am

It would be nice if you could post a photo of the cars with NY plates lined up together. It sounds like the cars that came from NY may have been selected for extra intensive cleaning, and/or quarantined. I think someone mentioned that in the TPA thread.

Also don't forget that using NY plates as a primary indicator of potential contamination alone is not enough. The car might have started out at LGA in August, and have "lived" in, say, Charlotte for the past 6 months. Likewise, a car might have MN plates, but could have most recently come from EWR last week.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
It would be nice if you could post a photo of the cars with NY plates lined up together. It sounds like the cars that came from NY may have been selected for extra intensive cleaning, and/or quarantined. I think someone mentioned that in the TPA thread.

Also don't forget that using NY plates as a primary indicator of potential contamination alone is not enough. The car might have started out at LGA in August, and have "lived" in, say, Charlotte for the past 6 months. Likewise, a car might have MN plates, but could have most recently come from EWR last week.
I'll see what I can do - was in the very back of the lot. I believe it was a Cruze, 2 Versas and a Rogue as well as a Chevy Express van or 2.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I rented at MGM last Sunday. The agent called me day of and asked if I was still coming. Once I said I'd just landed he printed my contract for me. He said most people had either cancelled or been no shows. I had a Mid Size SUV reservation and got a 2020 Chevy Equinox Premier with 1,400 miles on it. Absolutely acceptable for a small airport.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, SWA RR ALP-CP, Hertz #1 Gold PC, HH Lifetime Diamond
Considering Hertz’ disdain for the Gold Plus Rewards program and frequent renters, and their repeated, unannounced devaluations of their rewards program points, I wouldn’t expect them to do anything for us in terms of extending status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.