WTAR 740i vs UTAR Camaro SS Conv.

Old Mar 5, 20, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM AMB, Hilton Diamond
It's not a 740 in the luxury department but it is a fun car to drive.
Old Mar 6, 20, 12:18 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by estedman View Post
Sounds like a mean muscle car. Very deep growl.
I still feel weird saying this as I was an f-body fanatic in the early 2000's and considered Mustangs as the inferior competition at the time but I liked the current Mustang GT over the SS that ive driven.. I didn't like the blind spots on the SS and I did think the Mustang sounded better.

I do like the SS and will probably try again but Mustang edged it out based on my last few drives.

I did get a cool pic at the Rio. Parked next to another SS
MartinN86 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 1:05 am

Which Hertz location had that SS?
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:39 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by glostix View Post
I haven't been to LAS since January but I saw Mustang GT and/or SS in the PC lot multiple times in the 5 trips I took Oct-Dec and the one in January. If you look in the LAS thread, I made reports each time about the PC section (and I usually reported when I returned as well and even the one time I rented from Advantage). I've driven the GT several times at LAS in both hardtop and convertible. I only had the SS once but it had low mileage. I think I saw an SS convertible upon return in PC but never had one available during pickup. Again, see the thread for more data points.
Old Mar 6, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I know the differences, but I guess we all tick a bit differently!
The 740 is the best ground transport alternative to a teleporter: it lets you get from A to B with the maximum of comfort. The only way to improve on it is to be in the back seat, with someone else doing the driving. If the goal isn't just getting to B, but actually the trip between A and B, then the Camaro is a much more entertaining way to spend that trip.
Old Mar 6, 20, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glostix View Post
I picked up the Vert SS at PC in ATL last Friday the 28th. I suspect you would never find that sitting there in spring or summer, that weekend was rainy and chilly. Not Vert weather.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I do love the Camaro SS convertibles, but with prices so close, I'd probably stick with the BMW, TBH - $700 a week seems kind of high for the Camaro (I rented one at LAS for a week for $326), and $800 seems pretty low for the 7-series.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 9:56 pm

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
I agree 100%. I grew up in Detroit and came from a GM family of muscle car nuts. Camaro over Mustang forever. Until recently. I had a Camaro SS in Philadelphia from Hertz recently. The power was great, nice steering and handling, but the blindspots were awful. A Mustang or a C7 Corvette are much more livable. Also, why the Camaro does steer and handle well, you do get a sense of its bloat. It's a 3700 lb. car and that weight takes away from the driver feel of it all.
rhwbullhead and m907 like this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrockAdams View Post
I agree 100%. I grew up in Detroit and came from a GM family of muscle car nuts. Camaro over Mustang forever. Until recently. I had a Camaro SS in Philadelphia from Hertz recently. The power was great, nice steering and handling, but the blindspots were awful. A Mustang or a C7 Corvette are much more livable. Also, why the Camaro does steer and handle well, you do get a sense of its bloat. It's a 3700 lb. car and that weight takes away from the driver feel of it all.
??? If anything, the Camaro is smaller and more nimble versus the clumsy and humongous Mustang.
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by jim32190 View Post
??? If anything, the Camaro is smaller and more nimble versus the clumsy and humongous Mustang.
The Mustang is actually livable as a daily driver. The Camaro is almost unusable as anything other than a weekend car. That's part of why it lags so far behind the Mustang in sales.

​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
The Mustang is actually livable as a daily driver. The Camaro is almost unusable as anything other than a weekend car. That's part of why it lags so far behind the Mustang in sales.

​​​​​
I've only tried the Mustang GT Vert for a week, but found it comfy and fun to drive, with a great sound 🔊😁
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was in a SS Convertible for 3-months last summer/fall. Was definitely a fun car, but got uncomfortable over time. It does have some blind spots with the top up, but nothing you canít account for.

I will say, that depending how bad the car was beat on really affects itís drivability. I took the vehicle off the PC lot with about 1,000 miles on the odometer. It needed an oil change and I swapped into another SS Convertible which drove horribly. I called back and picked up my original Camaro SS the next morning. I would not have been happy and thought the Camaro SS was a pos if my only experience was the replacement I drove.
Old Apr 3, 20, 6:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Someone reported Hertz LAX getting a bunch of M4 convertibles. Why not split the difference and take a BMW M4 instead of the Camaro?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: