FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz Germany - cross border fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/2009636-hertz-germany-cross-border-fee.html)

belfordrocks Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Hertz Germany - cross border fee

Hi all,

Wondering about Hertz Germany's "cross border fee" for rentals within Germany. I am planning a rental within Germany where I do not plan to cross the border but will be in border cities/towns. I see that they have a 600 euro "fine" for breaches of this but am concerned that in the case I take a wrong turn etc that inadvertently lands me in Austria for a short amount of time. Does anyone have experience with how this is levied/enforced - are the cars GPS tracked for instance, and the penalty automatically applied as soon as the system detects you have exited a border?

Thanks

noah Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

More information is here: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...NS&EOAG=FRAT50

It appears the real issue is
1) Taking a very expensive car outside of Germany (there is a list on the page)
2) Going outside of Germany when you don't tell them

Since you are not intending to travel outside of Germany, then you should be fine. I would just mention that you'll be near the border.

Often1 Feb 18, 2020 3:40 pm

The fee is only EUR 29.75. The penalty fee of EUR 600 exists for taking the vehicle out of Germany without reporting it.

I presume that this is easily checked via GPS.

If it remotely worries you, why not pay the EUR 29.75 and then avoid the risk. Or be careful.

Cymro Feb 19, 2020 1:00 am

It depends where you're going - even when staying in Germany, it's possible for your cellphone (and any cell service attached to the car) to pick up Austrian networks and start roaming.

If you have a particular destination in mind, I may well know it and can say how likely it is you might accidentally cross - but honestly I'd just pay the €36 including VAT if it's a real possibility.

FFlash Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Been to Austria several times without mentioning and no issues, they will not care less.

seawolf Mar 7, 2020 12:22 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 32090638)
Been to Austria several times without mentioning and no issues, they will not care less.

Same here. Been to Netherlands as well.

LondonElite Mar 7, 2020 1:03 am

I wouldn’t worry about this too much. Unless you drive well into Austria this won’t be an issue.

itisme Mar 8, 2020 4:13 pm

they prob more so worry if you travel it to the Eastern European countries where high crime risks. NL/BE/AU etc they couldn't care less and are def not tracking your phone to find you out.

LondonElite Mar 9, 2020 3:40 am

Originally Posted by itisme (Post 32157734)
they prob more so worry if you travel it to the Eastern European countries where high crime risks. NL/BE/AU etc they couldn't care less and are def not tracking your phone to find you out.

They couldn't track your phone, but a lot of rental cars have transponders built in to prevent theft/aid recovery.

Stuttgart21 Mar 9, 2020 6:07 am

Originally Posted by itisme (Post 32157734)
they couldn't care less and are def not tracking your phone to find you out.

There's going to be at least one mobile network card in virtually every car you can rent at Hertz Germany these days.

A318neo Mar 9, 2020 5:02 pm

Just be careful. One rarely crosses the border without knowing though in Geneva it's possible to venture into France if you are not looking, at least 10 years ago it was.

I like Hertz. However, Hertz in Germany is a stickler looking for minor damage on their cars. They caught a scratch and was going to bill me until I pointed out the sticker in the trunk that showed it was pre-existing. They said ok. Everything was fine. At least they inspected the car with me upon returning the car. I think I read in FT that others have had problems with Hertz Germany.

LondonElite Mar 10, 2020 5:07 am

Most European rental agencies are far more careful about minor damage than in the US.