Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

booked/prepaid for 8AM pick up but don't pickup until 1PM, when is return due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I booked and prepaid online for 8:00AM pickup. (8:00AM return two days later)

If my flight doesn't get there until 1PM. If I pickup the car late at 1:00PM, when is return due? Is it the original 8:00AM or 1:00PM?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I booked and prepaid online for 8:00AM pickup. (8:00AM return two days later)

If my flight doesn't get there until 1PM. If I pickup the car late at 1:00PM, when is return due? Is it the original 8:00AM or 1:00PM?

Thanks!
Your return time is always the exact time you picked it up. I think your bigger worry is it being treated as a no-show cancellation. One rental agent told me they'd void it after 2hrs and another told me 4hrs.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tb17
Your return time is always the exact time you picked it up. I think your bigger worry is it being treated as a no-show cancellation. One rental agent told me they'd void it after 2hrs and another told me 4hrs.
even when it's been prepaid?

considering that it will probably be the first time ever that a customers has arrived at this airport late due to irrops flight change, I'll call the Hertz guy over there to see what they can do. (Newark)
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:07 am

Two things:
1) What day is your pickup? Years ago, I had reserved at Hertz LAS for a Sunday 11AM pickup. Due to flight delay and lost baggage I ended up not picking up until close to 1 PM. This happened to be my first experience with the contract being printed at the gate (2010-2011 if I recall) so I tossed the contract and drove off. Get to my destination and read the rental contract to find the rate had tripled. I thought no problem, I'll straighten this out at the return. Apparently the post- 12 noon Sunday pickup triggered my rate to default to the weekday/walk-up rate instead of the weekend rate. No amount of reasoning with the return folks or writing in would convince them to change the rate back to the original. This even after providing copies of the flight delay and lost baggage claim. The last agent that emailed me basically said case closed - I got busted for trying to game the weekend rate like everyone else tries to do.

2) As far as the no-show. Last summer I reserved at car at KEF for a 23:45 flight arrival - picking up at 00:30. Well, when I reserved, I didn't move the 00:30 to the next day. Arrived at KEF Hertz counter to be told they couldn't find my reservation. After digging up my confirmation we realized I had mistakenly booked for 24 hours prior and I was a no-show. They we able to "revive" my no-show reservation and adjust the pick up time one day and keep the same weekly rate. This was not a prepaid and the two agents had to get a guy in the back to come out and fix it but it can be done. YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Doesn't the software adjust to the flight information put on reservation? My LAS reservations seem to "know" when plane arrives as it messages when I land. It seemed to use actual arrival and not scheduled as I've arrived like a half hour late and it seemed to adjust.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Doesn't the software adjust to the flight information put on reservation? My LAS reservations seem to "know" when plane arrives as it messages when I land. It seemed to use actual arrival and not scheduled as I've arrived like a half hour late and it seemed to adjust.
I have never given Hertz or any other car rental company my flight details. Probably a little too paranoid on my part.

However, I'm sure most car rental car companies don't bother with such info. (unless it's a small one or two-airline airport)
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I have never given Hertz or any other car rental company my flight details. Probably a little too paranoid on my part.

However, I'm sure most car rental car companies don't bother with such info. (unless it's a small one or two-airline airport)
It doesn't seem that it would be that hard for the process to be automated and I believe it happens at LAS possibly. I turn on my phone as soon as plane lands.hettz messages don't seem to come until after plane actually arrives at gate. F9 flights from ORD to LAS arrive 11 something Pm and I've reserved times before arrival up to an hour after and system seems to know when my flight actually arrives.
Edit:
Also, regardless of if it actually matches, I'd think your argument for late pickup is better if you had attached flight info and flight shows as arriving around time you show up for pickup.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by rhwbullhead; Feb 4, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hertz has an official late arrival policy. See below. More generous for prepaid rentals.

Also has a late return policy - 12 hours or more late incur a fee. But this one is easy to fix - each day charge is good for a full 24 hours, so if you pick up 5 hours late, you’re covered by the 12 hour rule, but you can always just have them adjust the return time, at time of pickup, to match the pickup time.

*****Airport locations/Railway Stations: Reservations will be held for two (2) hours past the reserved pick-up time, except if you contact your Reservation Centre to change your arrival time. Two (2) hours after the reserved pick-up time the reserved vehicle will be made available for other customers. If you arrive at the location more than two (2) hours after the reserved pick-up time, we will try to provide a vehicle for you, however, availability cannot be guaranteed.

In case of a flight/train delay whereby the new arrival time is outside the pick-up location opening hours, the location will remain open, provided the correct flight/train number is present in the reservation and the carrier or operator has notified the delay and the new arrival time.

Non-airport/railway station locations: Reservations will be held for one (1) hour past the reserved pick-up time, except if you contact your Reservation Centre to change your arrival time. One (1) hour after the reserved pick-up time the reserved vehicle will be made available for other customers. If you arrive at the location more than one (1) hour after the reserved pick-up time, we will try to provide a vehicle for you, however, availability cannot be guaranteed. If the location closes within that one hour period and you fail to pick up the vehicle, the reservation will expire at closing time of the location.

If you are a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Member, the pick-up period will be extended to two hours in each case.

This does not apply to prepaid rentals. For prepaid rentals, the following policy applies:

Airport locations: If you do not arrive at the specified pick-up location for the prepaid rental transaction at the scheduled pick-up time, then the reservation for the transaction will be held only until 11:59 p.m. (local time) on the specified pick-up date, unless the pick-up location closes before 11:59 p.m., in which case the reservation will be held until the closing time of the location.

Non-airport locations: Off Airport locations will hold your reservation for two (2) hours from the reserved pick up time, unless the customer calls their Reservation Centre to change the time of arrival. Two (2) hours after the time of pick up, the reserved vehicle will be made available for rental to another customer. Should the customer arrive after the two (2) hour period, Hertz will attempt to provide a vehicle, but cannot guarantee availability.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.