Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz does track where cars are placed in Ultimate Choice locations

Old Jan 24, 20, 12:33 am
Original Poster

There have been a few discussions about whether Hertz tracks where you picked a car from at Ultimate Choice locations, mainly from Gold/FS members wondering if they can take a car from PC.

After seeing several Hertz employees park cars in PC and walk over to a keypad, I went to see what it was.

https://imgur.com/a/5DE08eW

It looks like it's the same system they use for specific car reservations (i.e. go to this space number), only they're noting what car is in what zone. I don't know if all locations use it or pay attention to it, but the system does exist.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
I know that it would be a difficult thing to implement but I would if National or Hertz implemented a system where if you have a reservation and you qualify for the Ultimate Choice/Emerald Aisle, if you could check the vehicles in those aisles the day of your reservation and maybe choose it ahead of time, I mean if they are already recording where vehicles are parked they have some sort of infrastructure.
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by j_y11789 View Post
I know that it would be a difficult thing to implement but I would if National or Hertz implemented a system where if you have a reservation and you qualify for the Ultimate Choice/Emerald Aisle, if you could check the vehicles in those aisles the day of your reservation and maybe choose it ahead of time, I mean if they are already recording where vehicles are parked they have some sort of infrastructure.
Would definitely be interesting from a consumer perspective, but gets more complicated from the company's perspective. If I look at the list at 10AM and say I want car X, in space 23, how do they hold it for me until my flight arrives at 1PM? They'd have to either do something to mark it clearly that it's taken, or lock it and make me get the keys from the booth. Both take staff time, and it would certainly limit the appeal of "take anything from the XYZ section," since it would become "take anything from the XYZ section, except one of the large number of cars with an "already taken" sign on it." Plus, if my flight gets cancelled, and I don't show up, how long do you hold the car before having to go out and take off the "taken" sign?
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j_y11789 View Post
I agree it would be nice, but it's common to see cars get snatched within 60 seconds of being parked. I've done it myself.
Old Jan 24, 20, 8:21 pm

Unlikely the industry will move to reserving specific cars, most of the time they won't even let us reserve a specific model (i.e. Ford Mustang = Camro/Challenger/Mustang)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
I agree it would be nice, but it's common to see cars get snatched within 60 seconds of being parked. I've done it myself.
Yup, me too. And I've been in the situation where the lot was getting lots of cars just cleaned and prepped, putting my stuff in one car, but watching out of the corner of my eye to see if a better one was coming in.
m907 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Would definitely be interesting from a consumer perspective, but gets more complicated from the company's perspective. If I look at the list at 10AM and say I want car X, in space 23, how do they hold it for me until my flight arrives at 1PM? They'd have to either do something to mark it clearly that it's taken, or lock it and make me get the keys from the booth. Both take staff time, and it would certainly limit the appeal of "take anything from the XYZ section," since it would become "take anything from the XYZ section, except one of the large number of cars with an "already taken" sign on it." Plus, if my flight gets cancelled, and I don't show up, how long do you hold the car before having to go out and take off the "taken" sign?
This also wouldn’t work from a parking space perspective especially for smaller locations. The parking spot will be occupied by a vehicle for way to long for someone who may or may not show up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: