Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DUB (Dublin, Ireland); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at DUB (Dublin, Ireland); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club

I'm a Hertz gold member renting from Dublin Airport (Terminal 1) tomorrow and on a tight schedule. Does anyone know if I go to the airport desk (because "gold" cars are in the short term car park) or just get on the bus to the off-airport site? Any help appreciated, it's been a while for me and these things are ever changing.

Just for the record there is a Hertz desk in terminal 1 with a gold counter where you pick up the keys and then a short walk to a nearby car park.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 22, 2020 at 9:51 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:03 am

DDMR (Compact Elite) at DUB - what to expect

I'm just a basic Gold Plus Rewards member. Booked a midsize (D-class - DDMR) car for Dublin in May. Hertz shows this as a VW Jetta or similar, but the VW Ireland website (volkswagen.ie) doesn't currently list the Jetta as available in Ireland. What other cars could I end up getting? Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Not sure if this helps but I'm gold and never been given a Jetta in Ireland. I've rented every week in either Dublin or Cork since November, booking a small VW Polo class car. I've always been upgraded to a VW Golf or either an Opel, Peugeot or VW compact SUV. In short, book a Jetta (or Golf) and you'll probably do OK.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:53 am

Anyone know what you can expect for group "I" (LDAR)? Any decent chance of a decent engine/spec?

Last edited by masmadrid; Dec 4, 2021 at 3:06 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by masmadrid
Anyone know what you can expect for group "I" (LDAR)? Any decent chance of a decent engine/spec?
I was given a Q7 45 TDI S line. Pretty damn happy with that!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:38 am

Got to be careful for the DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) "offer" here. If you notice it on your return receipt (which states something like you were offered a choice (I was NOT!)...), pass by the desk and ask to amend. Confirm you want to pay in EUR when picking up
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Originally Posted by CityRules
I'm a Hertz gold member renting from Dublin Airport (Terminal 1) tomorrow and on a tight schedule. Does anyone know if I go to the airport desk (because "gold" cars are in the short term car park) or just get on the bus to the off-airport site? Any help appreciated, it's been a while for me and these things are ever changing.

Just for the record there is a Hertz desk in terminal 1 with a gold counter where you pick up the keys and then a short walk to a nearby car park.
you can collect the car in the short term car park thats close to the desk in terminal 1. I have had varying degrees of waiting, either at the desk or sometimes for a car to be made available.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:35 pm

I'm planning a Dublin trip around Easter and finding eye-watering high prices for everything except P4, M4 and O4 commercial vans. Anyone ever rent one of these in Ireland? I usually care a bit more about what I drive, but these are around 400 euros cheaper per week than the least expensive available car class.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by goldrush3
I'm planning a Dublin trip around Easter and finding eye-watering high prices for everything except P4, M4 and O4 commercial vans. Anyone ever rent one of these in Ireland? I usually care a bit more about what I drive, but these are around 400 euros cheaper per week than the least expensive available car class.
p4 eg VW Caddy are a bit more car like but theyre probably in short supply. Much more likely to be bumped to a short wheelbase van, which is definitely not car like

In the past Ive booked a van too when car rates were outrageous but Im quite used to driving a van.

Personally I think car companies are being greedy (rates outside of Easter are extortionate too) and I would avoid them altogether and try to restructure plans around not having a car

where do you plan on going?
Ordpc and goldrush3 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by switch007
p4 eg VW Caddy are a bit more car like but theyre probably in short supply. Much more likely to be bumped to a short wheelbase van, which is definitely not car like

In the past Ive booked a van too when car rates were outrageous but Im quite used to driving a van.

Personally I think car companies are being greedy (rates outside of Easter are extortionate too) and I would avoid them altogether and try to restructure plans around not having a car

where do you plan on going?
I think I would have been less bothered with a VW Caddy. M4 was far and away the cheapest though, P4 and O4 were more than double. I have driven more than my share of large vehicles here, just not in Ireland.

I'm planning on some sort of road trip each day. Dublin to Galway, Killarney and Antrim Coast are planned so far. I could stick to bus/train and group tours, but I like exploring outside the touristy locations too.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:41 am

OT, but have to say, if I've understood you correctly: Dublin is a pretty terrible base from which to do trips to the corners of the island, due to the time spent driving with not much to see on the way either. I'd be pretty miserable doing a 1000+ km, in a van, while on holiday.

And you have to tell Hertz you want to drive to Northern Ireland and I think they charge extra. You're not automatically covered under their insurance I believe.

If I wanted to visit Antrim and rest of the NI coast, I'd probably stay in/near Belfast. I'd take train/coach from Dublin, then rent a car there, avoiding any cross-border issues with a car from Dublin.

Dublin to Killarney for a day trip, in a van, might not be very enjoyable. It's 8 hours of travelling.

To visit Co. Kerry/Co. Cork, I might base myself around Killarney. For Galway/Co. Clare/Aran Islands, maybe Galway or Ennis.

Basically I would pick a base in each corner of the island I'd visit and stay at least a couple of days.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Any recent updates? Flying in from the US. Have a Standard SUV Auto reserved for our trip. What is the likely vehicle?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Any recent updates? Flying in from the US. Have a Standard SUV Auto reserved for our trip. What is the likely vehicle?
Saw Skodas, Kias and a Renault there a few weeks ago no idea what the models were though sorry.
ChevyCruze likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA / IHG / Hilton / Hertz / Avis
as above. It's a varied fleet. I use DUB about a dozen times a year. typically book the ford puma and have recently had, Skoda Kamiq, Skoda Karoq, Peugeot 3008, Audi Q2, Ford Kuga
I find the vehicle guide relatively accurate
Hertz - Vehicle Guide
ChevyCruze likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Ended up not renting with Hertz but was assigned a Skoda Kodiaq and managed to snag a few pics during my return on 3/19

Skoda Kodiaq

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.