Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting from Boston and driving into Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:50 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Am visiting US from India and after visiting Boston am planning a trip from Boston to Toronto via Niagra Falls and all and returning to NJ/NY. Will this be allowed by Hertz?

Looking at Hertz as I am getting a good rate through Amex Platinum India.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:30 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, this is no problem. Just let Hertz in Boston know that you will be visiting Canada and to make sure you have the necessary insurance documentation available for the vehicle. That's something they can handle at the rental counter.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
And I've seen a few Hertz cars in the US with Canadian plates so the reverse clearly happens too.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:14 pm

Yes, do it all the time with no issues. The car is never questioned. Just make sure you have your Visas in order for entry into Canada (and back)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The OP should be aware that he may pass through some cashless-toll points on his route, so should be prepared to use Hertz' toll transponder (and pay the daily fee for it), or obtain his own transponder -- either in Massachusetts or New York.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP should be aware that he may pass through some cashless-toll points on his route, so should be prepared to use Hertz' toll transponder (and pay the daily fee for it), or obtain his own transponder -- either in Massachusetts or New York.
In the case of departing Logan airport from the Hertz location, you almost immediately enter the Ted Williams tunnel which will use the in-car FastPass to charge your account. This is now the hidden cost ($5.95 toll + 3.95 fee or something like that) for every Logan rental.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by noah
In the case of departing Logan airport from the Hertz location, you almost immediately enter the Ted Williams tunnel which will use the in-car FastPass to charge your account. This is now the hidden cost ($5.95 toll + 3.95 fee or something like that) for every Logan rental.
There apparently is a Massachusetts EZ Drive Service Center in East Boston (near the Maverick T station) where one should be able to pick up a Massachusetts E-Z Pass transponder. Whether that is an option for citizens of foreign countries is something I do not know. More info here:

https://www.ezdrivema.com/ezpassservicecenters
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976
Thanks for the heads-up. Faced this issue last year too when going from Chicago to Charlotte via car. Some toll booths are now fully cashless and really there is nothing I could do about it.

That time it was Avis, had to use the car one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.