choice between L4 / T / H4 / T4 for LAX

Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold...

Is T4 really an upgrade on H4?

i had a H4 booked from LAX today and got given a Disco Sport HSE with T4 on the key fob. And it doesn’t feel like much of an upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Is T4 really an upgrade on H4?

i had a H4 booked from LAX today and got given a Disco Sport HSE with T4 on the key fob. And it doesn’t feel like much of an upgrade.
Yes... generally a larger vehicle.

-J.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:17 am

Hello,
I have a trip planned for March in California (LAX).
Want to enjoy the trip "American" (BIG SUV nice if possible V6-V8).
Which category do you recommend (and if I have the choice of the vehicle which vehicle more specifically?)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by j0ffr37
Hello,
Which category do you recommend (and if I have the choice of the vehicle which vehicle more specifically?)
Can't go wrong with these. Usually nicely equipped with a big V8. There is another category which includes the Suburban, but they are essentially the same vehicles as these, but with more cargo room in the back.
4WD/AWD Large SUV (T, FFAR)
GMC Yukon T FFAR (21 mpg)
Chevrolet Tahoe T, YT FFAR (YT-tagged vehicles may have DVD system; 21 mpg)
Ford Expedition T, YT FFAR (YT-tagged vehicles may have DVD system)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

Hello,
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Can't go wrong with these. Usually nicely equipped with a big V8. There is another category which includes the Suburban, but they are essentially the same vehicles as these, but with more cargo room in the back.
I dislike the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade family. I think they're outdated and clumsy. The new Expedition is easily the nicest ride but the GM vehicles are more common in the Hertz fleet. They're also known to foist the Nissan Armada on you.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by m907
I dislike the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade family. I think they're outdated and clumsy. The new Expedition is easily the nicest ride but the GM vehicles are more common in the Hertz fleet. They're also known to foist the Nissan Armada on you.
I rented a Tahoe at SEA for thanksgiving. Except the basic interior and crapy navigation/entertainment system, it was a very nice car!
Enough cargo space in the back if you don't use the third-row seats, and pretty good gas mileage for a car of this size (18 mpg on 1800 miles overall).

But I agree, the Expedition is a very nice-looking car, totally outpace the Tahoe/Yukon on design aspects.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:13 am

Yes I already had the nissan armada, he had fun in the trails but if I could have something else this time it would arrange me

I have the FRAR (L4) at $ 296
The FFAR (T) at $ 338

I also in category prestige collection:
JFDR (H4) $ 345
RFAR (T4) $ 362

Which category do you recommend? (always for a 4wd / awd preferably in V6-8)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The new Expedition comes with an EcoBoost V6 engine instead of a V8. I'd take the GM family over the Expedition.

-J.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The new Expedition comes with an EcoBoost V6 engine instead of a V8. I'd take the GM family over the Expedition.

-J.
That GM V8 drops down to a V4 depending on how you drive it. Have you actually driven them both? I'm not a huge fan of turbo engines either but the Expedition drives light years better. The Expedition does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, which is faster than a Chrysler 300. The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are a a half-second slower to 60 than the Expedition and the Suburban/Yukon XL are almost a full second slower than the Expedition Max.

The Expedition feels more car-like and the interior of a regular Limited trim is better than an Escalade.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

That GM V8 drops down to a V4 depending on how you drive it. Have you actually driven them both? I'm not a huge fan of turbo engines either but the Expedition drives light years better. The Expedition does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, which is faster than a Chrysler 300. The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are a a half-second slower to 60 than the Expedition and the Suburban/Yukon XL are almost a full second slower than the Expedition Max.

The Expedition feels more car-like and the interior of a regular Limited trim is better than an Escalade.
It only drops down to V4 when you're cruising or coasting. I've not driven the new Expedition yet. I will admit I am partial to GM products, and I especially dislike the Ford infotainment systems.

-J.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
It only drops down to V4 when you're cruising or coasting. I've not driven the new Expedition yet. I will admit I am partial to GM products, and I especially dislike the Ford infotainment systems.

-J.
And I'll admit I'm partial to Ford products and especially dislike the (older) GM infotainment systems!

I actually really like the newest GM infotainment which resembles Android. I hate the older systems with crunchy graphics. Ford Sync 3 is good but relies too much on touch and it takes too many taps to do anything.

To me the Expedition Limited with the energetic drivetrain, car-like suspension, heated/cooled seats, panoramic sunroof, Sony/B&O audio, and nice cabin appointments is just a much nicer all-around experience than the bouncy truck-like ride and cheap interior of the GM products. I've driven the Expedition Max for 10 hours in a day and felt great, whereas I've driven the Suburban for 10 hours and felt exhausted by the constant bouncing and slow braking.

Last edited by m907; Dec 6, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:48 am

Hello, I hesitate to choose between 4 ranges for a trip from LAX (California, Arizona and Utah, 10 days)

L4 for $ 298
T for $ 338
H4 for $ 348
T4 for $ 352

necessarily an AWD / 4WD, and preferably a large SUV American V6-V8 for fun.

Which one will you advise me? what model can I expect to have on LAX?

Thanks for answers

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 11, 2019 at 11:18 am Reason: merged with previous disucssion
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:10 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
You've asked this before and received a number of responses:

Hello,
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
You've asked this before and received a number of responses:
Yes for this old question but now i hesitate with H4 and T4, to know if the additional price is justified and worth it to have a vehicle of better quality, or if the series L4 or T will be sufficient.

as well as the vehicle generally given on LAX for these series
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Yes for this old question but now i hesitate with H4 and T4, to know if the additional price is justified and worth it to have a vehicle of better quality, or if the series L4 or T will be sufficient.

as well as the vehicle generally given on LAX for these series
If you want a large American SUV, then you definitely shouldn't go with the H4 or T4, where you'll probably get an Infiniti, Cadillac XT5, or small Land Rover.

"necessarily an AWD / 4WD, and preferably a large SUV American V6-V8 for fun"

A T class would very probably be a Tahoe, Yukon or Expedition, which are exactly what you're looking for. The L4 would likely be a Buick Enclave, Nissan Pathfinder, or Kia Sorento.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.