Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PC Renewal - worth it? [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Question Hertz PC Renewal - worth it? [2019]

Overall I like service as a PC and have held it for the past 3 years. Like the benefits- especially choosing from PC when booking Intermediate.

We didn't end up using several rentals in 2019 and I'm at 16 rentals for the year, so would need 4 more to requalify.

Not seeing that cheap of options ex-ANC; up here until the end of the year. Unless anyone has any tips to get rentals below $50 at the airport or $32 downtown per rental?

So would be between $128-200, tempted.

What would you do? Would probably do 4x 24 hour rentals... just need to get the car back in time which can be difficult. Or do I do this over one day - ie pickup and drop off car 4x in a day. Or just drop to 5*? Decisions...
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me, I'd wait until I lost PC status and then purchase one of the PC upgrade offers (it's actually a travel agency status match) on eBay. Available for around $30 from vendors with 99% positive feedback.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Can always match status with National. After you lose status, you can match back.
jim32190 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: too many
This. Play the Status match game :-)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Overall I like service as a PC and have held it for the past 3 years. Like the benefits- especially choosing from PC when booking Intermediate.

We didn't end up using several rentals in 2019 and I'm at 16 rentals for the year, so would need 4 more to requalify.

Not seeing that cheap of options ex-ANC; up here until the end of the year. Unless anyone has any tips to get rentals below $50 at the airport or $32 downtown per rental?

So would be between $128-200, tempted.

What would you do? Would probably do 4x 24 hour rentals... just need to get the car back in time which can be difficult. Or do I do this over one day - ie pickup and drop off car 4x in a day. Or just drop to 5*? Decisions...
Do they even allow your to return the car right after you pick up?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dayone
If it were me, I'd wait until I lost PC status and then purchase one of the PC upgrade offers (it's actually a travel agency status match) on eBay. Available for around $30 from vendors with 99% positive feedback.
This is an interesting option. I'm sure Hertz doesn't officially sanction this but is there any risk to the person buying it. I mean would Hertz ban the person buying the upgrade or the travel agency selling it?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone
Interesting...

Originally Posted by KevinMD
Can always match status with National. After you lose status, you can match back.
Originally Posted by ng1265
This. Play the Status match game :-)
Hmm... need to see what my status level is with National. What do they typically want? Screenshot?

Originally Posted by xman099
I'm sure they'll take my $$$. I'm just not sure I want to part from it.

Appreciate the ideas. :-:
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
This is an interesting option. I'm sure Hertz doesn't officially sanction this but is there any risk to the person buying it. I mean would Hertz ban the person buying the upgrade or the travel agency selling it?
I have not heard of them banning people but I haven't heard of people who have used it either. The cleaner way is to status match your way up - find one program which matches low status into mid status, then find a way to match a mid status into a high status. Some credit cards give you a head start with mid-level status at various companies.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I have not heard of them banning people but I haven't heard of people who have used it either. The cleaner way is to status match your way up - find one program which matches low status into mid status, then find a way to match a mid status into a high status. Some credit cards give you a head start with mid-level status at various companies.
I status matched my PC and was surprised i had it this year as I did it previous year. I actually rented from Advantage because I didn't realize I still had PC this year until a few months into the year.

I assume status is fine yearly so OP and i, if I don't get enough rentals will have to status match before year ends and then match back in Jan?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I assume status is fine yearly so OP and i, if I don't get enough rentals will have to status match before year ends and then match back in Jan?
If you status matched to National today, the status would be good through 2/2021.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:23 pm

Hertz emailed me offering the following:

For the month of December only, redeem 7,000 [I have less so they crossed it out and put my actual points] points and keep your Hertz President's Circle® exclusive benefits until 12/31/20.*
Automatic one-car-class upgrades
50% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points
Access the President’s Circle Ultimate Choice® lo

I assume the OP will get similar email.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by xman099
Back during the United 5k per rental days I was renting for 24 hours during the week and stopping in on my way home. They let me keep the same Volvo S90 for weeks as PC and just stop in to for 5 mins each night to checkin/checkout. On a couple Sundays when rate with tax was $20 per rental I would do 1 hour rentals. The guy at the gate said there is another guy doing 6 rentals per hour. Drive the car out the gate, drive a mile, check car in, repeat in same car again. I only had to return full if I was swapping vehicles.

I wish they'd bring that promotion back.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hertz emailed me offering the following:

For the month of December only, redeem 7,000 [I have less so they crossed it out and put my actual points] points and keep your Hertz President's Circle® exclusive benefits until 12/31/20.*
Automatic one-car-class upgrades
50% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points
Access the President’s Circle Ultimate Choice® lo

I assume the OP will get similar email.
Seems a pretty poor deal to me. I can get 12.7 rentals from 7000 points with each otherwise costing $50 , so makes it $635 cost. The difference here in price between a group S and group F is $2 a day . For 20 rentals, that is a $40 value for a $635 cost
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Interesting...

Hmm... need to see what my status level is with National. What do they typically want? Screenshot?

I'm sure they'll take my $$$. I'm just not sure I want to part from it.

Appreciate the ideas. :-:
Follow up: finally applied for a national status match minutes ago.

Once that gors thru, guess I'll match back

Thanks.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:59 pm

Does last year's PC run out at end of Jan or Dec? I want to apply for a status match to my National Status but I'm still showing PC. I'm wondering if it takes a few days to run out or if it's good till end of January.

Should I just email them for a.statud match even though it hasn't run out officially yet on my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.