Search

Best HLE in Manhattan for cars?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Silver, BA Silver, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents
NYC Locations - which to use?

Hi,

I am staying in NYC for a few days before heading to NJ for a week of work. I have a car booked on the Sunday to get me out to NJ. As Presidents, I am looking to get a decent selection of cars to allow for an enjoyable week in the US (travelling from UK).

My location confirmed at the moment is 310 East 48th Street (close to hotel) but I thought of getting a train out to Newark and using that location instead but the effort of lugging luggage is a bit off putting... Is there much of a difference in selection / availability of cars?

Simple question I know - but would be good to understand if people have good expectations of locations around NYC!

Thanks
Spud
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Spuddyspudster
Hi,

I am staying in NYC for a few days before heading to NJ for a week of work. I have a car booked on the Sunday to get me out to NJ. As Presidents, I am looking to get a decent selection of cars to allow for an enjoyable week in the US (travelling from UK).

My location confirmed at the moment is 310 East 48th Street (close to hotel) but I thought of getting a train out to Newark and using that location instead but the effort of lugging luggage is a bit off putting... Is there much of a difference in selection / availability of cars?

Simple question I know - but would be good to understand if people have good expectations of locations around NYC!

Thanks
Spud
Generally, the EWR location will have a MUCH better selection of cars than any of the Manhattan HLE's. Of the Manhattan HLE's the 48th St one is the biggest, I believe. When is this for, and what time are you picking up on Sunday? If this is still during the summer, and you're picking up on a Sunday before late afternoon/early evening, supply might be very tight, since the Manhattan locations are busiest on the weekends, with people renting to get out of town, and returning Sunday evening or early Monday AM.

Note that President's Club really won't matter very much, unfortunately.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Echoing the above, the NYC locations are pretty small and somewhat limited in cars. The airport locations will certainly have a larger selection (I think EWR is the largest facility) but I am not sure if it worth the effort to schlep out there, especially with luggage.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:09 pm

If you are renting on Sunday, the EWR location will be significantly cheaper than any Manhattan location.
All Manhattan locations have extremely high rates for Summer weekends and the shlep might be worth it. There are bus/train connections from Manhattan to EWR which are fairly convenient.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Joes
If you are renting on Sunday, the EWR location will be significantly cheaper than any Manhattan location.
All Manhattan locations have extremely high rates for Summer weekends and the shlep might be worth it. There are bus/train connections from Manhattan to EWR which are fairly convenient.
Depends when you're renting on Sunday. Pickups on Sunday afternoon are MUCH cheaper than pickups on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday morning.

Just did a quick example: 1 day rental at a Manhattan HLE, pickup at noon on Sunday: $154 for an economy car. Pickup after 3PM on Sunday: $83.

3PM seems to be the cutoff time.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Yes, EWR (Newark Airport) location is a much better choice, and the rates are cheaper. (However, with the UK residency the rates might be the same and include insurance / airport fees already).
You will be able to negotiate an upgrade or ask for a different model in the same class.

There is a convenient express bus service from Port Authority Bust Terminal in Manhattan midtown to EWR
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Silver, BA Silver, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents
Thanks for the info

I have my reservation from noon, was thinking of heading straight from hotel and heading towards a few outlet villages to kill some time on the Sunday before getting to the hotel.

I'm using corporate rates with Hertz so the rate is standard no matter what time of the day, which I've just double checked - but that is great to know for future reference! The fare difference between C (what I have to book) and D is only $80 for the week so I reserved that in the hope to get a step up from D which should be better!

I'll take a gamble on the location, the journey out is seriously off putting and since original post I have another traveller with me so makes sense to walk the 2/3 blocks to the locations.

Thanks for answer guys, really appreciate it!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:16 am

PFAR Manhattan

Hello!

I'll be travelling with my family to NYC over New Years, after a few days on Manhattan we are going to some friends in NJ and need a rental car. We are six adults so we need a big car, was planing on getting PFAR. I can't find any Manhattan location with large SUVs. Sure I understand space is at a premium on Manhattan but is anyone aware of a location that might stock PFAR?

My other option is going to JFK or EWR to pick one up, at the end of the rental i need to go back to Manhattan though so i would have to take two taxi rides just to get a big car.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bear133
Hello!

I'll be travelling with my family to NYC over New Years, after a few days on Manhattan we are going to some friends in NJ and need a rental car. We are six adults so we need a big car, was planing on getting PFAR. I can't find any Manhattan location with large SUVs. Sure I understand space is at a premium on Manhattan but is anyone aware of a location that might stock PFAR?

My other option is going to JFK or EWR to pick one up, at the end of the rental i need to go back to Manhattan though so i would have to take two taxi rides just to get a big car.
Nothing available at LGA? Would a minivan suffice?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"My other option is going to JFK or EWR to pick one up, at the end of the rental i need to go back to Manhattan though so i would have to take two taxi rides just to get a big car."

No, and no.

The hertz.com website is offering one-way rentals from LGA/JFK to Manhattan. And it is possible to travel between Manhattan and the airports without taking taxis!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:04 pm

Best Manhattan location for PC cars

PC member here - often rent at locations in the city where you kinda get what you get - no real choice. Any insight into which Manhattan location might be the most PC friendly?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
55th St. in Midtown is one of the larger locations and likely to have some variation in the fleet. That being said, I've had very few PC upgrades from any Manhattan location over the last six years.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 2017 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
PC member here - often rent at locations in the city where you kinda get what you get - no real choice. Any insight into which Manhattan location might be the most PC friendly?
Union Square used to be great, but since its closure I've had a couple of solid upgrades from E 76th. Then again, they gave me a 2014 Escape in May of this year.. I normally just go to LGA if I want a decent car. The new Ultimate Choice option has really improved the situation there.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:27 am

I've been lucky with the cars the two times I rented at the Jersey City HLE (of course, not in Manhattan). Both were one-way rentals with points to then drive to Syracuse, so the location was convenient.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Best HLE in Manhattan for cars?

Hi All,
any experience with what Manhattan Hertz has the nicest/best cars? I would think it might be 34th or 55th simply because of their size but curious if anyone has any good experiences as a PC getting a Prestige or other nice car.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm Reason: merged with existing thread on this topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.