Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz one-way rental with drop-off in Chicago

Hertz one-way rental with drop-off in Chicago

Old Nov 15, 19, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Question Hertz one-way rental with drop-off in Chicago

While brainstorming about next summer's trip(s), I stumbled upon this: I noticed that if you rent a car with Hertz in ANY US city and you drop it off at Chicago Airport (ORD),
no drop-off fee is charged! Is this usual/normal? When you make simulations with other city pairs the drop-off charge is very evident (~350/450 euros on a 3-week rental F class).
Old Nov 19, 19, 7:29 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
I’ve seen this pretty consistently. Rates ow LAS to ORD (for example) are very reasonable.
Old Nov 19, 19, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks for the tip- can open up some options for the future... now only if ORD will fix its bus/train system...
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:25 am

It's the third-largest city in the country and situated in the Midwest so it makes sense that they have a hub of cars there.
Old Nov 20, 19, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briantoronto View Post
Iíve seen this pretty consistently. Rates ow LAS to ORD (for example) are very reasonable.
Actually, it's not just LAS to ORD, but anywhere to ORD, i.e., there is no drop off fee, so what you pay for "X" to ORD is the very same that you'd pay for "X" to "X".
That opens up interesting sceneries for a memorable roadtrip!
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by dukefleed View Post
Actually, it's not just LAS to ORD, but anywhere to ORD, i.e., there is no drop off fee, so what you pay for "X" to ORD is the very same that you'd pay for "X" to "X".
That opens up interesting sceneries for a memorable roadtrip!
Yes, I am aware. Note that I said LAS - ORD was a good deal as an example. I have a full-size for 250US / week booked for mid-March, which was cheaper than SFO or PHX (as examples).
Old Nov 20, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC

How are you all getting these prices? I've tried a bunch of random bookings LAS-ORD and I get about $1200.

For example:
Old Nov 20, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
There's a big difference between "no drop off fee" and the base rate being identical for OW versus RT rentals.

The only rentals in recent years where I have seen a "drop off fee" was on rentals within the same metro area (i.e. rent at KDAL, return at KDFW or Local Edition branch in same market).

True one-way rentals (and I do lots of these) don't have a drop off fee but usually have a MUCH higher base rate than RTs being returned to same location.

There are, of course, oddball exceptions where OWs are a lot cheaper than RTs. These instances are rare but when Hertz needs to move cars around they happen. There are some reliably good deals on OW rentals FROM Arizona or Florida in late spring, for example.

Last edited by Herb687; Nov 20, 19 at 4:52 pm Reason: edit
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
There's a big difference between "no drop off fee" and the base rate being identical for OW versus RT rentals.
I don't know if it's an additional fee or a higher base rate, what I can see on Hertz's website from here in Europe is that if my OW rental does not end up at ORD
the cost of a 3 weeks rental (as an example) is always 380/400 euros higher (the variations are due to USD/EUR exchange rate IMHO). Always the same amount is added
to the "ordinary" rate, which is the rate you get if you return the car at the same location (this rate can vary, e.g. it is much cheaper in California than in Massachusetts).
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead View Post

How are you all getting these prices? I've tried a bunch of random bookings LAS-ORD and I get about $1200.

For example:

Try a week later or earlier. There is ConExpo 2020 ending on the 14th that might be an issue The rate I have is with a Platinum AMEX. The extra cost not shown in this quote is added liability insurance that I auto add to all US rentals, as I don’t have a car.

Old Nov 24, 19, 5:27 pm

Brian,

My new theory is that you all are getting lower quotes from being outside USA? I assume from you're screen name that you are from Toronto and a poster above definitely is from Europe. I actually live by O'Hare so maybe that or just booking on US sure screws up the rate? Changing the date made it $200 cheaper at around $1k all in.
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead View Post
Brian,

My new theory is that you all are getting lower quotes from being outside USA? I assume from you're screen name that you are from Toronto and a poster above definitely is from Europe. I actually live by O'Hare so maybe that or just booking on US sure screws up the rate? Changing the date made it $200 cheaper at around $1k all in.

Looks like it. Just did two quotes, not logged in, with US vs Canada residency.

Old Nov 24, 19, 7:07 pm

I guess I'll just have to do a Florida drive out in the Spring assuming they do it as usual this year. That's a great deal for those wanting to do a road trip.across.the USA without having to do it out of FL.

I'm glad we figured it out.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: