Wiki Posts
Search

crazy high fees on "free" point rental

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
crazy high fees on "free" point rental

did several searches and couldn't find any similar Question...have always paid a modest amount of fees when using points to rent at a Las Vegas hotel hertz site...however recently they are quoting $85 in fees on a two day point rental? called Presidents Circle, they cannot tell me how they arrived at the amount but it is correct, while another President Circle agent said glitch in system we will get back to you(good thing I am not holding my breath for that call back)....similar situations?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:28 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The taxes and fees are always inaccurate on free day rentals. If you’re renting off airport, the rental should be free or close to it. If you paste the whole pricing section here, we’d be happy to take a look and comment further.
LIH Prem and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl

Thank you I appreciate you taking a look, in the past for the same rental days, and place have been quoted $35 ish and actually paid much less, this initial quote threw me.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Based on my experience, Hertz on-line quotes have always had this problem (at least for the last 5 years or so) and, even if you get a quote by calling Hertz, the same issue/s exists.

You don't pay the taxes so your "proper" estimated total should be $4.32 which is:

$76.82 (the Hertz on-line quote total)
- $72.50 (taxes)
------------------------------------------------
$4.32 corrected total (estimated)

It's estimated because the fee/s you do have to pay can change slightly.
AutoSlash and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:50 am

Isn't there something in several jurisdictions that you still have to pay the tax on the undiscounted total?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Isn't there something in several jurisdictions that you still have to pay the tax on the undiscounted total?
There may be, but we've never seen Hertz charge tax on the undiscounted total on free days. They only charge any fees that are a fixed amount per day. See here for more detail.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There may be, but we've never seen Hertz charge tax on the undiscounted total on free days. They only charge any fees that are a fixed amount per day. See here for more detail.
I have an upcoming free rental from SFO airport for 1 day.. Hertz booking confirmation shows below :
  • Taxes

3.36 USD

Fees

• Airport Concession Fee
    0.11 USD

• Vehicle Licensing Fee Recovery
    1.02 USD

• TRANSPORTATION AND FACILITY CHARGE
    16.00 USD

Its the 1st time I am redeeming my points, so want to reconfirm that I will have to pay the above even though the base rate is free.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I have an upcoming free rental from SFO airport for 1 day.. Hertz booking confirmation shows below :
  • Taxes

3.36 USD

Fees

• Airport Concession Fee
    0.11 USD

• Vehicle Licensing Fee Recovery
    1.02 USD

• TRANSPORTATION AND FACILITY CHARGE
    16.00 USD
Its the 1st time I am redeeming my points, so want to reconfirm that I will have to pay the above even though the base rate is free.

Thanks
The TRANSPORTATION AND FACILITY CHARGE is a fixed amount of $16 per rental. You will have to pay that. The rest of the charges are a percentage of the base rental rate, which in this case is $0, so those won't be a factor. The total amount of your "free" rental should be $16 by our calculation.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The TRANSPORTATION AND FACILITY CHARGE is a fixed amount of $16 per rental. You will have to pay that. The rest of the charges are a percentage of the base rental rate, which in this case is $0, so those won't be a factor. The total amount of your "free" rental should be $16 by our calculation.
thank you for your response.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking at a 3-day one-way award rental from an off-airport Las Vegas location to LAX and was quoted $58.72 in tax. I suspected it was wrong, but there's really no way to know for sure. Right? I've made other plans because it didn't make sense to use the points if that the additional cost.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I was looking at a 3-day one-way award rental from an off-airport Las Vegas location to LAX and was quoted $58.72 in tax. I suspected it was wrong, but there's really no way to know for sure. Right? I've made other plans because it didn't make sense to use the points if that the additional cost.
No, that quote is high because the taxes are calculated incorrectly. As LAS you'll pay $4 per day for the Customer Facility Charge (CFC) plus $2.16 per day the Vehicle Licensing Fee Recovery for a total of $6.16 per rental day. The other taxes that are a percentage of the base rate do not apply (even if Hertz incorrectly shows that they do when booking). Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.