Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Italy - Not Honoring Rental Extension Price quoted on phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

I rented a car from Pisa, Italy for 1 week and already extended the rental once. I called in yesterday to extend for a 2nd time and was quoted the same price as the first extension. Went ahead and booked accomodations after that was confirmed over the phone. Now 1 day later I get an email from Hertz Italy saying they cannot extend my original agreement as quoted on the phone and they need to do a new contract, and the price for that will be an extra 100 euro. I looked online yesterday and today and see that the rental prices have jumped significantly. I feel like they are trying to screw me over for more money here.

It's ridiculous how you have to phone in to do extensions (should be able to do this online) and there's no paper trail of the price quoted yesterday. I booked using Amex Platinum and already called them to note this situation on my file in case I need to dispute later but I have no real proof.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not see what there is to dispute if it contacted you before the expiration of the current rental period

I would suggest looking at prices for a rental from another company and see whether you can get a better rate there
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not see what there is to dispute if it contacted you before the expiration of the current rental period

I would suggest looking at prices for a rental from another company and see whether you can get a better rate there
I agree the grounds for dispute seem weak. The problem is that to return the car and rent another I'd forfeit the accommodation I booked on the grounds of the extension being granted over the phone, not to mention losing a whole day of vacation driving hundreds of KM back to Pisa sorting this out, renting a new car, etc. So it seems whatever I do, I'll lose money because of their mistake.

Car is due back in a few hours and since I'm screwed either way I'll just keep it and do what I can with Amex.

Lesson learned : never assume that your extension request with Hertz will actually be honored unless you have the written contract!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Varus50
I rented a car from Pisa, Italy for 1 week and already extended the rental once. I called in yesterday to extend for a 2nd time and was quoted the same price as the first extension.........
2nd extension might have caused issue. It is usually ok to extend it by 1-2 days for a weekly rental. It is unclear how long was your first and second extension.

Originally Posted by Varus50
......Lesson learned : never assume that your extension request with Hertz will actually be honored unless you have the written contract!
Good idea especially for second extension where your contract may still show the original return date.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:17 am
Original Poster

OK issue resolved. Turns out the original person I spoke to 2 days ago was sick yesterday so someone else took over and emailed me the higher price. I was able to reach the original person by phone today and they were able to extend it for a more reasonable price close to what I was initially told. They also confirmed that I could extend one more time as long as total rental doesn't exceed 30 days at which point I'd need a new contract.

And I do have the extended contract emailed to me this time lol.

Appreciate the inputs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.