President's Circle Frankfurt. Car's preassigned?

Old Oct 3, 19, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
President's Circle Frankfurt. Car's preassigned?

Rented a car for pick up at FRA last weekend. As a President's Circle member, having booked an intermediate car, I expected to be directed to the PC lot where I could select the car best suited to my physical needs and luggage. Instead, I received an email on arrival in Germany to say my car was in stall x. Getting to the car park, it seemed every car wss preassigned, so no option to swap cars. I ended up with a Volvo S60, which I had to contort myself in and out of all weekend, it was so low to the floor.

As Frankfurt is listed as a PC location, should I have had a choice of car to drive.?
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
FRA isn’t an Ultimate Choice location. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
FRA isn’t an Ultimate Choice location. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp
That makes sense now.

So how do you prevent Hertz from "upgrading" from a car type that you need, to somethig that is unsuitable for your needs, but still have the convenience of bypassing the counter?
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:17 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

The right move here would have been to see a lot attendant (or go to the Gold booth/counter if none were available) and ask to be switched to something that meets your needs.

Note that there are some locations (FRA included) where you are supposed to be able to choose your own vehicle, but both information and availability seems very spotty. From https://www.hertz.hr/en/HertzGoldPlusReward:

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President’s Circle is obtainable through 20 qualifying Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rentals in a 12-month period.

• Guaranteed free one car class upgrade at participating locations5
• Guaranteed vehicle availability5.
• Get up to 25% Gold Reward points on all qualifying rentals.
Pick up your car from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President’s Circle priority bays, situated in the most convenient location5.
And:

5 Participating airport locations in Europe: Brussels, Berlin, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Helsinki, Oulo, Rovaniemi, Turku, Paris Orly, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Marseille, Nice, Toulouse, Lyon, Bordeaux, Athens, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Dublin, Milan Linate, Milan Malpensa, Rome Fiumicino, Amsterdam, Vienna, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Goteborg, Geneva, Zurich
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
The priority bays just mean they’re located closer to the entrance,

S60 is actually a really good upgrade in Germany. I suspect that, without an upgrade, the assigned car would have been a Mondeo which is not that much taller. I appreciate that someone used to the US would have expected to be able to choose a small SUV but the price premium in Germany is really quite small to book the car you want. In my experience they’ve always been good at giving cars that match the basic requirement, with a very few exceptions.
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
The priority bays just mean they’re located closer to the entrance,

S60 is actually a really good upgrade in Germany.
S60 is an extremely boring car to drive with unresponsive steering and underperforming suspension. Especially in Germany...
It is good for reluctant commuters who worry about resale value and safety rankings
Volvo brand stops at the V40 model - that one is quite agile.

As for rentals at big airports in Europe, if you talk to the personnel politely, almost always you can get more interesting choices. As a President's Circle, you really hear all the options, and you can negotiate a paid upgrade at a very reasonable price
Old Yesterday, 6:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
The right move here would have been to see a lot attendant (or go to the Gold booth/counter if none were available) and ask to be switched to something that meets your needs.

Note that there are some locations (FRA included) where you are supposed to be able to choose your own vehicle, but both information and availability seems very spotty. From https://www.hertz.hr/en/HertzGoldPlusReward:

And:
err...the text you highlighted indicate “pick up your car” not “pick your car”.

DUS is preassigned. So is FRA.
Cymro likes this.

Search this Thread