Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reservation price went up after booking (pay later)?

Old Sep 28, 19, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Booked several months ago using credit card CDP, for which discount has not changed, and a generic Hertz code from their website. Reservation in another several months.

There was an earlier thread re: someone using a company account/CDP and his company renegotiating w/Hertz leading to price increase, but I'm using a credit card CDP that has the same fixed % discount. My guess is some kind of interaction with the PC code, which has been the same all this time as well, so I am confused.

Anyone run into this before? You think Hertz will honor the original price that says "rate is gauranteed" on my original reservation email?
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:13 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

You think Hertz will honor the original price that says "rate is gauranteed" on my original reservation email?
Probably, but leave extra time since will have to stop at the counter and it will likely require manager intervention.

A few questions though:

1. How much was the reservation as originally booked?
2. How much did it go up?
3. What PC code was used on the reservation?
4. Can you tell by looking at the cost breakdown whether the PC code "fell off" the reservation?
5. Did the base price change or remain the same?

We'd probably be able to help you better if you posted the before and after price breakdown here.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:54 am

Did the base rate go up, or the total price? I have a reservation at LAX next week that went up after I booked it because LAX bumped the "facility charge" by $10 to help pay for their new rental car center.
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally $334, now $407, most of it is the base price that went up. The taxes/fees changed negligibly ~$10 or so.
PC code still applied, says same $ amount off.
Somehow they changed the base rental price.

This reservation was made in April, for December pickup. I understand it's far in advance, but the whole point of booking a reservation is to secure an agreed-upon price.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Probably, but leave extra time since will have to stop at the counter and it will likely require manager intervention.

A few questions though:

1. How much was the reservation as originally booked?
2. How much did it go up?
3. What PC code was used on the reservation?
4. Can you tell by looking at the cost breakdown whether the PC code "fell off" the reservation?
5. Did the base price change or remain the same?

We'd probably be able to help you better if you posted the before and after price breakdown here.
Originally Posted by SixAlpha View Post
Did the base rate go up, or the total price? I have a reservation at LAX next week that went up after I booked it because LAX bumped the "facility charge" by $10 to help pay for their new rental car center.
Old Sep 30, 19, 12:21 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Our best advice is to:

1. Bring a printout of your original confirmation with you but be prepared for pushback at the rental counter.

2. Make a backup reservation with a different company if you can find a deal better than $407 if Hertz refuses to honor it.

3. Track the rental for price drops since rates could change in the future.
Old Oct 1, 19, 7:56 am

This has happened to me at least ten times this year so far with the Amex Plat rate. It will charge you the incorrect rate when you pick up the car if you don't get ahead of it. Before they print out the rental agreement confirm the price with them if it doesn't match your original email confirm have them "click into" the reservation to review the booked rate. My booked rate always shows up correctly on their screen when they do this it just doesn't match when they print the agreement. They usually need to do a manual adjustment once they see the other rate. The other thing I have done a couple of times is just call into customer service after the rental is done and they will credit you the difference without any issue. Sometimes I feel dealing with customer service is easier than dealing with some of the newer people at the offices the credit posts back to the credit card in a day or so.
Auto Enthusiast and glostix like this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Great tips!

Originally Posted by 07roversc View Post
This has happened to me at least ten times this year so far with the Amex Plat rate. It will charge you the incorrect rate when you pick up the car if you don't get ahead of it. Before they print out the rental agreement confirm the price with them if it doesn't match your original email confirm have them "click into" the reservation to review the booked rate. My booked rate always shows up correctly on their screen when they do this it just doesn't match when they print the agreement. They usually need to do a manual adjustment once they see the other rate. The other thing I have done a couple of times is just call into customer service after the rental is done and they will credit you the difference without any issue. Sometimes I feel dealing with customer service is easier than dealing with some of the newer people at the offices the credit posts back to the credit card in a day or so.

Search this Thread