SiriusXM now a daily fee for all?

Old Aug 17, 19, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador
STL airport charging PC for Sirius?

PC member 3 or 4 years. Rented 80-100 cars at various locations. Today at checkout at STL the agent asked if I wanted the sat radio to remain on for $4.99 per day. I assumed she was making a mistake but she was serious lol. I explained I always pick cars with sat radio and have Never been charged extra. She said they have a new sat radio yes/no button and they have to enter an answer. I asked for a supervisor and she wouldn’t budge either. Anyone else experienced this? Certainly brand new to me and not a positive development.
lbbzman and Nurse Traveler like this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Say no and see what happens. If it is factory SXM, I'd be surprised if Hertz can manage subscriptions at the individual vehicle level.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:44 pm

Further proof that Hertz is becoming an expensive discount brand. If this was, say, Payless, or Hertz's own Dollar/Thrifty division, charging for everything like Spirit Airlines might make sense.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not aware of Sirius radio provision being a benefit for PC members. Did the rate for the vehicle include Sirius?
Old Aug 17, 19, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sadly, I believe this is something Hertz is implementing; basically, they are looking to monetize something that once was free/complimentary and it flat out stinks.
jason8612 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Sadly, I believe this is something Hertz is implementing; basically, they are looking to monetize something that once was free/complimentary and it flat out stinks.
Sirius wasn't complimentary and still isn't

Doing a dummy booking for a group F car, it offers Sirius at $4.99 per day
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:00 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

You are missing the point of the OP. We all know that in the past, Hertz would never charge a member who was either assigned a car with an active and working subscription (either via upgrade or their discretion) or a car selected via Ultimate Choice for Sat Radio. Rogue agents may have tried, but it was never the official policy to do so. What appears to be happening is that Hertz, having found a way to activate/deactivate service per rental, has decided to eliminate this customer-friendly loophole.
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:04 pm

so basically , it has just closed a loophole that was being exploited. Hardly seems a surprising thing to do if it now has capability to do so and cannot see how that 'stinks'. There is a big difference between something being given as an official benefit and then removed rather than fixing an exploited loophole. Sirius has always been offered as an optional extra and free satellite radio has never been a benefit of status
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:30 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

[Shrug] I would prefer Hertz focus their time and energy on customer-friendly initiatives that acknowledge and reward elite customers, not devaluing their points without the courtesy of prior notice, eliminating other published benefits, and trying to monetize Sirius/XM on rentals. The last is particularly galling as most new cars have a complimentary free trial period, so Hertz is attempting to pass along a charge that, in many cases, is likely not costing them anything.
Old Aug 17, 19, 10:02 pm

Ever since Hertz introduced Sirius it has 'monetised' Sirius ; it is something that is offered as an optional extra and never offered as a benefit of status

There are a lot of things it can do, but also no reason not to address where people are aiming to take cars with Sirius but not wanting to pay for it - in OP's case , for example, it isn't just a case of ending up with a car with the facility because the location had no other vehicles, but a deliberate process to choose cars with Sirius whilst not including it in the reservation

Its changing rates for rentals in the US has no bearing on this

Just connect mobile phone via bluetooth and use an internet radio application and issue resolved
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:48 am

I would also be surprised if Hz had the technological means to literally flick a switch and control XM/Sirius radio operations.

A couple years ago at Hz MSP, the exit gate agent asked whether I wanted the satellite radio turned on, for a fee. I politely declined, and when I left the lot, continued to enjoy commercial free, uninterrupted satellite radio.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:45 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by radiolarian View Post
I would also be surprised if Hz had the technological means to literally flick a switch and control XM/Sirius radio operations.

A couple years ago at Hz MSP, the exit gate agent asked whether I wanted the satellite radio turned on, for a fee. I politely declined, and when I left the lot, continued to enjoy commercial free, uninterrupted satellite radio.
I think they're just bluffing as you describe - trying to get people to pay for something they're already getting.
DJ_Iceman, strickerj and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz, National
The simplest explanation (we should never assume that Hertz has actually modified their technology stack) is probably that the yes/no is just trying to force the agent to ask the customer if they want it (ala prepaid fuel). And the result of accepting/declining is exactly the same as it's always been.
cestmoi123 and melissaru like this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador
The supervisor did mention that I could say no and “see if it stayed on”. Based on the comments and Hertz poor IT I now suspect she was hinting that it would not shut off. I will decline on next rental and see what happens. I have upcoming bookings in CRP (no ultimate choice), SAN and AUS.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
What appears to be happening is that Hertz, having found a way to activate/deactivate service per rental
Are there any confirmed reports that Hertz has such a capability?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: