Issues with PC code after rental.

Old Sep 20, 19, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Issues with PC code after rental.

Hi Folks

I recently rented a car with Hertz (as usual). I usually use the CDP that I'm entitled to use and sometimes PC codes that are currently available and work with the CDP code. Both the reservation and the rental agreement showed me the right rental value. But today I noticed that the value charged in my credit card was different. So I requested a receipt (I never take the receipt at drop-off, once I usually use the express drop-off and never had problems) and noticed that the PC code was not applied. Once I chatted online with Hertz assistant to correct the issue, she told me that I was supposed to have a physical coupon and show up to apply the discount. Well, while I know that one should be entitled to use certain CDP, neither Hertz's Terms nor my rental agreement shows a rule or something related saying that I must be entitled or have a physical coupon to use any PC code.

Did anyone have such a problem like this or something similar? What is the best way to solve it? As a loyal customer (and President's Circle member) I will consider open a dispute of the excess amount in my credit card only in the last case because I know that it could lead me into the DNR list.
Old Sep 20, 19, 4:23 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

What PC code did you use? Some of them are for free day certificates that you need to surrender at the time of rental. If you just used some random number or one you found online without knowing the terms and conditions, it's entirely possible it was for free day that required a physical coupon (like a Hertz Business Rewards Day certificate).

As you pointed out, a credit card dispute is a slippery slope as you very well could end up on the DNR list. Unless you are certain beyond a shadow of a doubt what PC code you used and what the T&C's were for that coupon, you should just drop it and move on. Just our 2 cents...
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming it was a PC code that you otained legitimately and should have no reason not to use it, then no reason not to open a dispute with a credit card company

If it was some code found trawling the internet for codes , then quite reasonable for the company to not honour it - some codes have required certificates to be surrendered at time of rental and are only valid for 1 use with that certificate

I cannot imagine any chance of ending up on a DNR list for a valid dispute
TerryK likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Assuming it was a PC code that you otained legitimately and should have no reason not to use it, then no reason not to open a dispute with a credit card company

If it was some code found trawling the internet for codes , then quite reasonable for the company to not honour it - some codes have required certificates to be surrendered at time of rental and are only valid for 1 use with that certificate

I cannot imagine any chance of ending up on a DNR list for a valid dispute
I've never done it, but some here have said that any chargeback automatically land you on the DNR.
Old Sep 21, 19, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
I've never done it, but some here have said that any chargeback automatically land you on the DNR.
I have disputed charges where the charge was unauthorised and invalid - it has not led to anything

If you were to dispute a valid charge, that might be different
Old Sep 21, 19, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
..........some codes have required certificates to be surrendered at time of rental and are only valid for 1 use with that certificate...........
This. It depends on what PC code you used. Some PC codes require physical certificates. Rate shown is after application of PC code but you need to present a physical certificate to receive PC code rate. It is meant for one time use only.

Originally Posted by Mateus Beneduzi View Post
.................while I know that one should be entitled to use certain CDP, neither Hertz's Terms nor my rental agreement shows a rule or something related saying that I must be entitled or have a physical coupon to use any PC code...........
It is on T&C of that PC code or physical coupon.
Joonydell likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 21, 19 at 10:32 am Reason: consecutive posts merged

Search this Thread