Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "You Have Multiple Reservations" Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA

Something new from Hertz? I got an e-mail last week about multiple reservations I had made for 3 days later (same location). It says Hertz "recommends" that I keep the one they choose, and they would delete the other one. By three days out, I knew the one I wanted and deleted the other - I often follow this scenario when I'm not sure how long I'll keep a vehicle, or for another reason. I cancel without an e-mail prompt from Hertz.

I understand Hertz wanting to manage its inventory more closely, and it's possible to overlook a duplicate - or maybe someone needs two vehicles.

Today, same story with reservations for next week, but this time it was for two different days at two different Bay Area locations. I called Hertz and the agent - after checking - said it must be something new. No one knew about the e-mail, or knew what to do.

FINALLY - and this is the main point of my post: I noticed a box that said KEEP ALL RESERVATIONS. I clicked it and got a reply that all were kept. Since the agent didn't know about this option, I wanted to alert everyone that there's a new "trick" we need to learn.
Auto Enthusiast and Joonydell like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you. That is interesting. I’ve never received one.

I had 3 cars out last week too; one for my corporate car being in the shop, one for my wife’s car in the shop, and one to get me from LI to LGA. All 3 cars were from the same location too.

FYI for those wondering why I just didn’t return the rental I have for my corporate car, I’m a week away from it being a 2-month rental, so it didn’t make sense. And, a rental was cheaper than Uber.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:42 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I got this e-mail two days ago. I went ahead and cancelled one of my reservations (well before the deadline). When I went back today to make a change to my reservation it said it was cancelled! I checked and they had cancelled both of my reservations. The price has gone up now...not sure if i should try calling them or eat the $20 increase and make a new res...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:45 pm

I made two reservations for the same day, but one was for 1/2 hour later, and a different car class.

Hz still sent me that email.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: NW GE
This is lame. Until they sort out their inventory issues on “reserve this exact model” vehicles, I will continue to have a UC eligible C res in addition to the special car in case they are unable to deliver (which is not infrequent).
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:58 pm

With all the (many, many, many) issues Hertz has with their IT systems, THIS is one they're working on? Finding potentially duplicate rentals and sending an auto email to confirm. REALLY. This is what they're prioritizing?

Sigh.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bjam99
With all the (many, many, many) issues Hertz has with their IT systems, THIS is one they're working on? Finding potentially duplicate rentals and sending an auto email to confirm. REALLY. This is what they're prioritizing?
Seems a perfectly logical thing for Hertz to work on - people accidently or deliberately booking more vehicles than they wish to actually rent, can impact on other people who want to make a booking and impact on revenue

How is not that a logical process to work through. This is also not a system issue, but simply a programme to detect duplicates and email people - this is an enhancement and not a fix to parts where there may be issues
seawolf and TerryK like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Seems a perfectly logical thing for Hertz to work on - people accidently or deliberately booking more vehicles than they wish to actually rent, can impact on other people who want to make a booking and impact on revenue

How is not that a logical process to work through. This is also not a system issue, but simply a programme to detect duplicates and email people - this is an enhancement and not a fix to parts where there may be issues
I only keep duplicate reservations because they can't get their act together and are completely unable to provide any of the suitable alternatives when a car that was reserved is unavailable (provide an appropriate upgrade, or less ideally, a rate adjustment to the normal midsize rate for a less suitable upgrade, or at worst, downgrade).

Another situation where numerous reservations would be appropriate would be in snow country, when you need AWD/4WD but since thats not reservable, you choose an SUV and hope its not FWD, and if it is, may as well just get the midsize/fullsize.
m907 and Bjam99 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seems a rational, if not too soft, approach. All depends on where one sits. If one wants to reserve a car but there are none available because of inventory fraud, it is annoying and inconvenient as well.

Would seem better to expressly state that the "impossible" reservations will be cancelled unless guaranteed so that the inventory can be returned to availability.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The idea is good - the execution is what I'm concerned with. See post #3 above. And note that when I called Reservations the agent had no idea this was now a "thing".
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

duplicate reservations NOT cancelled

OK - another case. I had a reservation that I wanted to modify. However it happened, I ended with a duplicate: the original one and the different one. Then I got a "multiple reservations" e-mail (see below). It said it would keep one and cancel the other - and their choice was what I would have done myself. So I let it ride - and the next day - several hours past time of cancellation - both reservations were still in effect. Weird.

If you have a need for all reservations, choose keep all reservations. If no action is taken by 09/17/2019 4:58 AM MT , all reservations but the recommended will be cancelled.

I manually cancelled the one that Hertz said it would auto-cancel.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA MM
Double booking

I always make a res for whatever is cheap at my destination as soon as I know my schedule, and then sometimes make another reservation as we get closer to the dates, sometimes a different car class, but at least a week before I cancel whichever I decide I don't need.

On an upcoming rental, have a res for a sedan, and last night I saw a good price on an SUV, so I made the new res, as I wanted to speak with my family about what car we really want (SUV is nice, but lower mileage and less secure luggage storage than a sedan with a trunk).

Overnight I got an email from Hertz about the double booking, giving me until tomorrow morning to cancel one or they would do so automatically. Not unreasonable, but an interesting change. Res is for three weeks from now.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:13 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

There should have been an option in that email to keep both reservations.

Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There should have been an option in that email to keep both reservations.
Bingo, and thanks! I was just going to post that I went back to pick a single rez, and there is indeed an option to keep both of them. Well spotted, Autoslash
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I've had this happen twice. One time I cancelled one bc it was booked as I had booked two times as I wasn't sure what flight I was booking

The second time, as I posted in the sticky thread concerning Ultimate Choice, I wasn't sure.if one person's experience with being denied using the PC lot for a pickup truck was the new rules (at least in LAS, I was still able to use the PC lot when I had to book a one day rental where pickup truck was cheapest). I had just taken a red-eye so was tired when I got the email for a double booking and forgot to click on it to keep both reservations. I don't know if it's the norm, but it cancelled my cheaper reservation (even though that one had flight info but more expensive one didn't)...

Strangely, I've have two reservations for same time next week and Hertz hasn't sent me this double booking email yet. (I've had this double booked for 5 days now )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.