Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

11 October 2019 updated to Hertz T&Cs - What has changed?

Old Sep 10, 19, 9:03 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond

Received this email this morning:

Please note, we have made some updates to our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Terms and Conditions, effective from October 11, 2019. You can read the full Terms here. Continued participation in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, booking a reservation or entering into a rental using your member number after October 11, 2019 constitutes acceptance of the updated Terms.

Anybody know what has changed and if any of those changes are worrisome/substantive? (I wish when companies did this they would highlight the changes)
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Diamond, former UA Plat, former AA Plat
You beat me to it.

Direct link to new terms is here: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...dConditions.do

Interestingly, at the bottom of above link is a link to the old term: https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/0719-t...s-gpr-enus.pdf

Making the old terms a PDF and the new terms a web page makes any sort of after the fact diff a monster hassle.

But c'mon, we trust Hertz, don't we? <-- sarcasm
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I found a 2016 version of the T&C using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine; 2016 is obviously not the most recent but it is what I found so I took a quick glance at both documents. A few things caught my eye:
- They seem to have made some changes in how they refer to Mexico; some sections that used to apply to "US and Canada" now refer to "North America"
- A number of changes relevant to state-specific requirements around rental cars, values, insurance requirements etc
- Changes to the Personal Insurance section; different limits for personal insurance across many different countries outside the US now appear to be harmonized
- Some interesting new language about using data in the car to go after those who were not authorized to use CDPs and other similar tracking
- IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DELETE ANY BLUETOOTH SYNCED DATA FROM THE CAR UPON YOUR RETURN (this one caught my eye -- very intereresting)
- YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, HERTZ MAY COLLECT, PROCESS, CHARGE ON THE BASIS OF, ADD TO YOUR CUSTOMER PROFILE AND TAKE DISCIPLINARY ACTION ON THE BASIS OF THE DATA DERIVED FROM IN-CAR TELEMATICS AND OTHER DEVICES AND GAUGES
- YOU AUTHORIZE HERTZ TO PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU AND EACH RENTAL YOU UNDERTAKE USING AN IDENTIFYING CUSTOMER DISCOUNT PROGRAM (CDP) NUMBER OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH THE RENTAL TO THE CDP SPONSOR OF THE RENTAL. HERTZ MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE USE OF SUCH INFORMATION BY THE CDP SPONSOR. YOUR RENTAL UNDER THESE GOLD TERMS USING A CDP NUMBER IS YOUR CONSENT TO HERTZ TO DISCLOSE PERSONAL DATA TO THE CDP SPONSOR. YOU EXPRESSLY DISCHARGE ANY CLAIMS OF RESPONSIBILITY OF HERTZ REGARDING THE MISUSE OF INFORMATION BY THE CDP SPONSOR. SUCH INFORMATION MAY INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: NAME; BIRTH DATE; CONTACT INFORMATION (PHONE, EMAIL ADDRESS, MAILING ADDRESS); DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER, STATE OF ISSUANCE AND EXPIRATION DATE, CREDIT / DEBIT CARD INFORMATION; CHARGES APPLICABLE TO THE RENTAL; INSURANCE INFORMATION; CAR USAGE INFORMATION (INCLUDING GEOLOCATION, SPEED, AND OTHER DATA); CAR LICENSE PLATE ISSUING STATE AND NUMBER; CAR MAKE, MODEL, YEAR, MILEAGE, COLOR AND NUMBER OF DOORS; RENTAL LOCATION; BACKGROUND AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION; AND RENTAL HISTORY (INCLUDING CURRENT RENTAL AND DUE DATE). YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE CDP SPONSOR MAY PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU TO HERTZ.
- ON RENTALS FEATURING GENERAL MOTORS BRAND MODELS: THE CAR MAY HAVE TELEMATICS, TRACKING, AND RELATED SERVICES IN WHICH CASE, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF THE CAR OR THE SERVICES ARE SUBJECT TO THE CAR, SERVICE PROVIDER’S OR DEVICE MANUFACTURER’S TERMS AND PRIVACY STATEMENT, WHICH MAY INCLUDE OTHER TERMS, SERVICE LIMITATIONS, WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS, LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY, WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER TERMS AND PRIVACY PRACTICES. IF YOU RENT A GENERAL MOTOR’S BRAND CAR (E.G., CHEVROLET, BUICK, GMC, CADILLAC), YOU AGREE TO THE CONNECTED VEHICLE USER TERMS, PRIVACY STATEMENT AND SOFTWARE TERMS AVAILABLE ON www.onstar.ca.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
This is the text of the email I received:

To create a better customer experience, Hertz is updating our Gold Plus Rewards® Program to require electronic consent to Terms and Conditions. We are also updating our Gold Plus Rewards Terms and Conditions.

In order to continue accessing benefits on your Gold Plus Rewards account, we ask that you electronically accept our updated Gold Terms and Conditions. Please note, your account will be suspended on October 11, 2019 if you do not electronically accept the Terms by then.

In order to accept the Terms electronically, click here. If you have any questions about our updates, please contact 888-999-4900.
The link to accept is https://click.emails.hertz.com/?qs= XXXXXXX random numbers , and when I click on it, log-in, it just takes me to the home page, no ability to accept any new terms.

So this means some who receive these emails will be suspended come Oct 11? Doesn't seem very well planned out.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
This is the text of the email I received:

The link to accept is https://click.emails.hertz.com/?qs= XXXXXXX random numbers , and when I click on it, log-in, it just takes me to the home page, no ability to accept any new terms.

So this means some who receive these emails will be suspended come Oct 11? Doesn't seem very well planned out.
When you visit the T&C page on the Hertz website, it states by participating in the Gold Rewards Program, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions. I haven't received an email, so I'm just assuming it's because I'm a frequent renter.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by tb17 View Post
When you visit the T&C page on the Hertz website, it states by participating in the Gold Rewards Program, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions. I haven't received an email, so I'm just assuming it's because I'm a frequent renter.
When I clicked on my link it took me to the Hertz home page, not to the T& page. Based on verbiage from my email, it seemed as if there would be a visit to the T&C page and a "confirm" process to accept it.

The verbiage that my account will be suspended if I don't accept by the deadline seems to imply that there is a manual confirmation involved. Sloppy execution on Hertz's part.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: too many
this is US-only I assume?
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ng1265 View Post
this is US-only I assume?
Not necessarily, but it's not very GDPR-friendly.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: too many
sorry, I meant " is this for US Hertz members only?"
I haven't received such communication yet
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:21 am

"is this for US Hertz members only?"
No. I'm a UK member. I got this email a couple of days ago.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:41 pm

There's stuff about an early return fee and a return location change fee. How much depends on when Hertz gets notified.

There's also something about needing to reserve at least 2 hours in advance to earn points.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
When I clicked on my link it took me to the Hertz home page, not to the T& page. Based on verbiage from my email, it seemed as if there would be a visit to the T&C page and a "confirm" process to accept it.

The verbiage that my account will be suspended if I don't accept by the deadline seems to imply that there is a manual confirmation involved. Sloppy execution on Hertz's part.
That might be a UK only thing. I received the following email this morning.
Please note, we have made some updates to our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Terms and Conditions, effective from October 11, 2019. You can read the full Terms here. Continued participation in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, booking a reservation or entering into a rental using your member number after October 11, 2019 constitutes acceptance of the updated Terms.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im guessing that the CDP sponsor part will allow Hertz to better determine where people are using corporate codes when not entitled to use them
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I got an email a couple days ago telling me that I had to (apparently do something to) accept the new T&C and then another one that I didn't read, assuming that it would be just another copy of the earlier one.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:47 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
where is the part that "create[s] a better customer experience"?

Search this Thread