Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What vehicle data does Hertz collect and what do they do with it?

What vehicle data does Hertz collect and what do they do with it?

Old Aug 27, 19, 10:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 69
What vehicle data does Hertz collect and what do they do with it?

In the interest of customer privacy, business operations knowledge, and general curiosity, what array of sensors do rental cars carry these days, and what do rental car companies use that information for?

i.e. GPS sensors, OBD-II data streamed to their servers, etc.?
Will you get DNR'd for speeding, revving the engine, driving onto a dirt lot/"off-road" location, etc.?
glostix is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:02 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 573
I got dinged once for testing out the 0-60 feature on a Hemi Charger. The return agent scanned the car and said, "wow, you did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds!" My response was, "no, I did it in 5.2 seconds." I was forced to pay double the rental fee for "excessive use"


Ok, honestly, I don't think they have any trackers, but you never know. But, your comment of off-road, this will get you put on the DNR list.
91StealthES is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:40 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CO hublette
Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
Posts: 1,988
Wow, I never realized the Hemis were that slow.
trm2 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:23 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada
Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by 91StealthES View Post
I got dinged once for testing out the 0-60 feature on a Hemi Charger. The return agent scanned the car and said, "wow, you did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds!" My response was, "no, I did it in 5.2 seconds." I was forced to pay double the rental fee for "excessive use"


Ok, honestly, I don't think they have any trackers, but you never know. But, your comment of off-road, this will get you put on the DNR list.
Lol, I put a Ford Mustang GT in drag strip mode and hit 0-60 in 4 seconds. Nobody batted an eye when I returned the car.

Beast of a car
manohman is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lexington KY/Coronado, CA
Posts: 863
Short answer, none. Rental car companies really aren't that paranoid about your driving habits. Plus, there's a lot of labor involved in installing and removing those things.

For a while, Hertz was experimenting with a GPS-enabled system whose main benefit was to provide real-time fuel quantity readings so they could immediately charge you for gas upon return, but they abandoned those.

Most cars already come equipped with XM Radio/Neverlost/etc so installing a separate GPS tracker would be redundant in the event they needed to locate the car.

Enterprise, occasionally, will have a GPS plugged into the OBD port on their cargo vans... why I don't know. I usually unplug it and toss it in the glove box. Only place in the past couple of years I've seen one.
SixAlpha is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:36 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 69
There's definitely reports of ppl renting cars from various companies who've driven into another state and ended up getting charged due to GPS tracking of their crossing state borders.

I'm curious what other info the companies have. I think it's standard for them to be able to access GPS data. California has a law that says rental companies can't access it until 5 days after a vehicle should have been returned (i.e. if it were stolen). And given that Cali is the most liberal of the states, I'd assume by default in all other states they can access your location willy nilly. Not that they'd care to probably most of the time, but I wonder what data, under what circumstances, etc.

I guess we'd only know if ppl post reports of what they themselves have gotten busted for, if any.

For example: https://www.elliott.org/the-troubles...-gps-tracking/
glostix is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada
Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by glostix View Post
There's definitely reports of ppl renting cars from various companies who've driven into another state and ended up getting charged due to GPS tracking of their crossing state borders.

I'm curious what other info the companies have. I think it's standard for them to be able to access GPS data. California has a law that says rental companies can't access it until 5 days after a vehicle should have been returned (i.e. if it were stolen). And given that Cali is the most liberal of the states, I'd assume by default in all other states they can access your location willy nilly. Not that they'd care to probably most of the time, but I wonder what data, under what circumstances, etc.

I guess we'd only know if ppl post reports of what they themselves have gotten busted for, if any.

For example: https://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/thrifty-car-rental-gps-tracking/
Is this an American thing? I've rented from Avis, Enterprise, National and Hertz and none of them forbid you from driving anywhere in North America with the exception of Mexico. The insurance in the car covers you in Canada and the US.
manohman is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,669
Originally Posted by manohman View Post
Is this an American thing? I've rented from Avis, Enterprise, National and Hertz and none of them forbid you from driving anywhere in North America with the exception of Mexico. The insurance in the car covers you in Canada and the US.
Some of the smaller/lower end rental car companies limit where you can take their cars - I think they're trying to avoid catering to the long road trip crowd.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lexington KY/Coronado, CA
Posts: 863
More like a small town thing. The link the OP provided was in regards to a franchise location. Small independent rental companies and small town franchise owners have more at risk so they may have restrictive policies. A fleet of 20 or 50 cars... yeah they’re a little paranoid. But the major rental car companies with tens of thousands of cars in fleet... they’re not fooling with tracking data unless a car goes missing. Budget, for instance doesn’t even know where half their moving trucks are on any given day, much less their rental cars!
SixAlpha is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread