Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SiriusXM now a daily fee for all?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Are there any confirmed reports that Hertz has such a capability?
It's rolling out.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by dayone
Are there any confirmed reports that Hertz has such a capability?
Avis does. Started a few years ago. Even as a Chairman preferred in a Cadillac XTS with no miles on it, I'd have to use the Avis app to turn on the XM radio. Sometimes you get lucky with a car that has it on, but they definitely have the technology to control it. I wouldn't be surprised if Hertz does as well, or soon.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
From a technical perspective, the capability is certainly there. If the vehicle has a cellular modem built in (a large % of new cars do), the activate/deactivate instruction can be sent that way. If it doesn't, the SiriusXM satellite system has a control channel to which all the radios are "listening," which is sending activate/deactivate codes on an ongoing basis, so it wouldn't be technically that hard for a large customer like Hertz to be able to send radio IDs to be included in that feed for activation or deactivation.

My hunch, though, is that there's only action one way. If you say you want satellite radio, and the radio isn't active, the activation signal is sent, but if you say no, they aren't shutting down active radios. Not worth the effort.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
My hunch, though, is that there's only action one way. If you say you want satellite radio, and the radio isn't active, the activation signal is sent, but if you say no, they aren't shutting down active radios. Not worth the effort.
I'm not sure it would be all that difficult, but I just don't think Hertz ever bothered before. Avis, Enterprise, National turn them all off by default, even on brand new vehicles that should have a trial going. They turn them on when a customer pays, and then turn it off again when the car is returned. I presume Sirius/XM has some sort of a back-end quick activate/deactivate system that they're able to integrate into the rental car company's software.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I've been asked a few times. I always say no. I've only once had it actually shut off (about 1 minute after driving out of the lot). Hertz is basically just following the competition here...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you have a subscription to SXM that includes their app (many do now), simply just listen through the app on your phone. I had a vehicle over the weekend and didn't even realize it had its own SXM, as I was using it from my phone. Then I used it from the vehicle.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Little bit of a technical idiot here, but as a Sirius subscriber with the app, how would I listen in the car? Via bluetooth? Does it have to go through Android Auto (I have an Android)? The last time I tried that, I could get the channels, but it wasn't a live feed and it was extremely cumbersome to change the channels. Is there a better way? Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
I'm not sure it would be all that difficult, but I just don't think Hertz ever bothered before. Avis, Enterprise, National turn them all off by default, even on brand new vehicles that should have a trial going. They turn them on when a customer pays, and then turn it off again when the car is returned. I presume Sirius/XM has some sort of a back-end quick activate/deactivate system that they're able to integrate into the rental car company's software.
I've driven plenty of National cars with active subscriptions I didn't pay a daily fee for.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by melissaru
Little bit of a technical idiot here, but as a Sirius subscriber with the app, how would I listen in the car? Via bluetooth? Does it have to go through Android Auto (I have an Android)? The last time I tried that, I could get the channels, but it wasn't a live feed and it was extremely cumbersome to change the channels. Is there a better way? Thanks!
I use an iPhone and the rental vehicle had Apple Car Play, and it just worked seamlessly. I was able to change channels on the phone app just by clicking the SXM icon on the Car Play display to select it, then scrolling through.

Maybe post over in the Travel Technology forum, for a broader audience? I think you'll find some die-hard Android users over there too, surely someone who could help.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Following up...I complained on the post rental survey and just had a call from Hertz saying the XM fees have been refunded. The reason given is I don’t opt in to XM on my profile. My current rental has XM and I was not asked if I wanted to pay. If STL has this new on/off button at checkout then I’ll assume it will roll out to other locations. I didn’t realize the competition charges for XM because I’ve only used Hertz in the last few years. Once again a group of travel companies aligning their practices so there’s no reason to stay loyal to just one.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by houstr8male
Following up...I complained on the post rental survey and just had a call from Hertz saying the XM fees have been refunded. The reason given is I don’t opt in to XM on my profile. My current rental has XM and I was not asked if I wanted to pay. If STL has this new on/off button at checkout then I’ll assume it will roll out to other locations. I didn’t realize the competition charges for XM because I’ve only used Hertz in the last few years. Once again a group of travel companies aligning their practices so there’s no reason to stay loyal to just one.
They all charge for it but SXM gives free 3 or 6 month trials on new cars from some brands, so if you get a car within that timeframe it's often working. If it's not working you have to pay a per day/week rate to activate it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I've driven plenty of National cars with active subscriptions I didn't pay a daily fee for.
Huh, I must have just gotten unlucky. I rarely rent from National/Enterprise but the past few have all been turned off, even though they were brand new vehicles still within the trial period.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by m907
They all charge for it but SXM gives free 3 or 6 month trials on new cars from some brands
Fleet deals have different terms.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
^ Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Huh, I must have just gotten unlucky. I rarely rent from National/Enterprise but the past few have all been turned off, even though they were brand new vehicles still within the trial period.
It seems to depend on the brand of the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.