Is it better to drive or rent?

Old Aug 10, 19, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Is it better to drive or rent?

Need to visit SO in another 350 miles each way for one day during weekend. Rental at Hertz is $31 ($26 when you factor in the 500 Skymiles I'll earn at 0.01 a piece), for a Nissan Rogue. Nissan Rogue gets similar gas mileage to the car I currently drive, a 2013 Toyota Camry with 85K miles. I plugged my car in KBB and my trade in value decreased by $50 (Idk if that's significant) after 700 miles

My main reasons for renting:

Depreciation ($50, which isn't significant in long run), wear and tear (my Michelin tires lasted 30K miles after spending $900 on them last time. Replaced under warranty but still spent $600+ for labor/fees. I will estimate tires at 2cents/mile, so $14), engine oil/brakes (0.01/mile, $7)

Newer/Safer Car (My car got a IIHS Poor rating). Nissan Rogues also have blind spot, and forward collision warning.

INSURANCE: This is my biggest reason. I have a $2500 deductible for both comprehensive and collision and minimum liability insurance for my state. With Hertz, I will have no deductible because of credit card. I am also a member of an organization that provides 500K liability.

Cons:

Marginally worse fuel economy (35mpg vs 33 mpg)
Unfamiliarity with car.

Also, is it better to get gold reward points or 500 delta miles for the rental. Do you get one gold rewards point, or 10 points, for every dollar spend (I'm a gold member)
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Seriously???

1. Your residual value of your own car highly depends on your plan with it. Driving it or not, it is going to depreciate. It is only a matter of how fast.

2. KBB is a reference price. I seriously doubt that there is any person or entity would buy the car per the KBB price.

3. Just because a car has a poor IIHS rating, it does not mean it is a bad car (at the minimum, you bought it). Also - a high IIHS rating does not always mean the car is safe.

Safety ratings are evaluated in a controlled environment. During an accident, many things can change. If you really make the rental decision based on the rating, is it mean you should seriously think about getting another car?

4. Insurance is not really a factor to consider, because your credit card, even provides primary CDW, will not be responsible for the damages you cause to other cars.

If you are serious about your own car v. rental, here are what you need to consider:

a. Reliability - If your car break down during the trip, it means that you will have to tow it back, meaning you have to pay for the towing for 350 miles. On the other hand, rental car? It is a rental car problem that you need not concern.

b. Cleaning - After a long trip like this, the car used will need some kind of cleaning. So you want to do it or pay for it yourself, or left that to rental car.

Other than that, everything else is kind of meaningless.
TXJeepGuy, Bjam99 and m907 like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:40 pm

If I had to drive 700 miles within a day, spending an extra hour or so picking up and returning a rental wouldn't be in my plans to save a few bucks.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP puts 700 miles on a rental car rented for just 24:hours, I would be a little concerned that Hertz would be unhappy with him. Rental-car companies have been known to put renters on the DNR list for "excessive" mileage on an unlimited-mileage rental.

I don't know that it's ever happened after a single, one-day rental, but I would suggest looking into this a little bit if the ability to continue to rent from Hertz is important to the OP.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
No concerns re: excessive mileage on a one-off.

I think the biggest factor for me would be convenience or otherwise of picking up. If it works, sure - go for it. There is also the higher driving position of the Rogue that may be more relaxing for that kind of highway mileage.

I'd be happy to rent but this is one of those questions where the likely consequences of getting a decision wrong can be offset by choosing a smarter option when buying snacks at the gas station.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the rental location is convenient, I would go with the rental. Your calculations are largely nickel & dime and based on broad-based national data. Fine if you are looking at fleet economics for a large company, useless for a one-off.

Reason for the rental is that if something happens, you call up, it gets towed and you get a new car. If that happens with your POV, you have it towed somewhere and either wait while it is repaired or you find another rental or take a bus. That is expensive, time-consuming, and presumably the last thing you need on a day with 700 miles of driving.
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Keep in mind that within a car category, it's actually usually 'or equivalent' with a handful of exceptions for exotic cars. I think it's been a few years since I got the example vehicle used in the booking process. So it's not a good idea to assume you're locked into the Nissan when it could be the VW or Kia or Hyundai instead.
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
Once a year for the past 10-12 years I've rented a full sized SUV from Hertz and driven 5500+ miles and never have had an issue with being denied a rental.
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cayohueso View Post
Once a year for the past 10-12 years I've rented a full sized SUV from Hertz and driven 5500+ miles and never have had an issue with being denied a rental.
But how long was your rental period? The OP is proposing to put 700 miles on a one-day rental.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
But how long was your rental period? The OP is proposing to put 700 miles on a one-day rental.
3 Weeks
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I've put 600 miles on in one day and 2000 miles in 3 days and never had anybody say anything. Another time I drove about 200 miles in 2 days but they recorded me as having done 2200 (because the odometer was recorded incorrectly at pickup) and didn't even get a comment about that being mostly impossible..
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:26 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Hertz is about to DNR me for putting too many miles on cars...hmm

Hertz doesn't seem to care about occasional high mileage runs, as we all do it. It seems to be when it becomes frequent, that it becomes a problem.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinMD View Post
Hertz is about to DNR me for putting too many miles on cars...hmm

Hertz doesn't seem to care about occasional high mileage runs, as we all do it. It seems to be when it becomes frequent, that it becomes a problem.

Are you really Kevin MD! I'm a physician in training and spend too much time on your website
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Stao916 View Post
Are you really Kevin MD!
I guess not.

KevinMD is a registered trademark belonging to Kevin Pho, M.D., associated with a residential address in NH. Our KevinMD seems basing in OK. While NH medical board reveals there is a Kevin Pho, M.D. in NH, the same thing can't be duplicate in OK.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:19 am
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Let's please keep the discussion on topic and relevant to Hertz.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread