Need Feedback on Hertz Rental in Frankfurt, Germany

Old Aug 7, 19, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hertz President Circle, United Silver, and Southwest A-List
Need Feedback on Hertz Rental in Frankfurt, Germany

Hi, All,

Planning a trip to Frankfurt, Germany. Thinking of renting a car. I rent almost exclusively from Hertz. Saw a decent weekly rate. With the rates quoted, should I still expect to pay additional taxes and fees, or is the final quote pretty close to it?

I read a bit elsewhere about rental insurance, and it sounded like the credit card coverage should be sufficient, and that I would not have to purchase insurance from Hertz.

Any advance/feedback on whether I should rent a car in Germany and what to consider/expect would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old Aug 7, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Where are you going?

I've rented many times in Germany and would have no real concerns. Hertz in FRA is quite good in terms of cars and upgrades. It depends, of course, where you're going - there is a good and functional public transport network in the major cities but as you move away from that, things tail off, as you might expect.

DUS is grumpy and won't give you anything unless you beg, at which point they'll claim that whatever you gave you was an upgrade, whereas MUC is embarrassed if they don't save the very nicest car they can for you.

The amount of extra taxes and fees to pay will depend on where you're renting - US websites will generally quote the base rate only and then state all extra fees before checkout, whereas the German and Australian websites tend to have a higher base rate but are then all inclusive. Either way, expect a large (low four figure) deductible. Be aware, too, that German standards of maintenance are extremely high and you will be expected to pay for what you might consider minor issues.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:57 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

The final price including all taxes and mandatory fees will be displayed on the final check page. Optional extras added at the counter could obviously increase the cost, but you should be able to drive the vehicle away for the price quoted when booking at any reputable website.
Auto Enthusiast and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hertz President Circle, United Silver, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Where are you going?
I was going to use my Marriott points for a free stay, and the cheapest was in hotel that is a bit out of central town, so I am considering renting a car as the main means of transport in the city of Frankfurt, not planning on traveling too far out as of yet.

However, if the rental becomes an issue, then I would just book one of the hotels in downtown at the higher point redemption level and not worry about a car.

Thanks for both feedback so far. This helps.
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:40 am

I can't see you getting a car for much less than €45/day, €60/weekend or €200 per week. You *can* drive in Frankfurt: traffic is generally not that bad and parking is possible - but budget €20/night in addition to the cost of the car. The city is fairly walkable and public transportation is cheap.

I've stayed at the Moxy in Frankfurt centre - and hated it, by the way. Incredibly disorganised staff with very basic rooms (not even an iron and ironing board - fatal to a business traveller!)
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:57 pm

@ Cymro

Any idea what Colgne/CGN is like? Have seen mixed reviews.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by oscarmac View Post
@ Cymro

Any idea what Colgne/CGN is like? Have seen mixed reviews.

Thanks.
Only rented from them once; got a Clio last minute at an OK rate. Was about 4 years ago, no upgrade and no time to ask about one.

Generally I fly into DUS for that part of the world (or did when I was based in London) because BA only "kind of" flies to CGN and I have no Lufthansa status. It was "OK."

Got what I paid for, no hassle on collection or return, but certainly nothing special. I think it's a similar setup to lots of German airports in that there is a dedicated car park for rental cars, rather than a shuttle. Sorry if that's non-committal but I can't really comment on anything good or bad - certainly nothing bad happened.
oscarmac likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1k
Worth checking that Collision Damage Waiver is included in the rate. It might be included for hirers via the US site, but it seems that Hertz no longer provides this basic insurance for European hirers, despite most insurers believing that European hire car companies always include CDW (but with an excess of about €900 normally).

Hertz lists CDW as an add-on payable at the counter of (for me as a UK resident) £37.35 per day, with a further £30.48 per day to waive the €900 excess that you would still be liable for.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Where are you going?

I've rented many times in Germany and would have no real concerns. Hertz in FRA is quite good in terms of cars and upgrades. It depends, of course, where you're going - there is a good and functional public transport network in the major cities but as you move away from that, things tail off, as you might expect.

DUS is grumpy and won't give you anything unless you beg, at which point they'll claim that whatever you gave you was an upgrade, whereas MUC is embarrassed if they don't save the very nicest car they can for you.

The amount of extra taxes and fees to pay will depend on where you're renting - US websites will generally quote the base rate only and then state all extra fees before checkout, whereas the German and Australian websites tend to have a higher base rate but are then all inclusive. Either way, expect a large (low four figure) deductible. Be aware, too, that German standards of maintenance are extremely high and you will be expected to pay for what you might consider minor issues.
DUS do upgrade but nothing to write home about.

Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post
Worth checking that Collision Damage Waiver is included in the rate. It might be included for hirers via the US site, but it seems that Hertz no longer provides this basic insurance for European hirers, despite most insurers believing that European hire car companies always include CDW (but with an excess of about €900 normally).

Hertz lists CDW as an add-on payable at the counter of (for me as a UK resident) £37.35 per day, with a further £30.48 per day to waive the €900 excess that you would still be liable for.
IME, CDW is never included for US renters on non corporate rates in Germany. There is always an excess. Only question is whether you want to buy down the excess at pickup.
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post

Do you use a corporate CDP? I can't get it to quote a rate without CDW.
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1k
Do you use a corporate CDP? I can't get it to quote a rate without CDW.
That's now been sorted. It was caused by my account defaults being set to decline CDW and theft protection. It was causing skewed search results.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:48 pm

Do make sure to take pics of car before heading out and use cc with proper coverage. Numerous reports here of contracted workers going through returns with magnifying glass and sending bills for alleged damage months after rental completion.

Search this Thread