Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Working out the charges for returning a vehicle early

Old Jul 30, 19, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire, AA EXP, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*

I'm in the middle of a 3 week one way rental in the US. The charges in the contract are on the basis of the weekly charge plus the one-way fee. I'm considering returning the vehicle early in the same location I picked it up. This would be after a week or so. Will the final charge be calculated on the basis of the original weekly charge + some days without the one-way fee? Is there a way of working this out? Or should I call Hertz to amend the contract? Last time I did this they charged a fee (forgot how much). Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:55 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

The only way to know how they will handle it is to call them. Reservations are guaranteed for the dates/times/location(s) booked and any deviation from that may incur an additional fee (or in some cases could result in a price reduction), but it's pure speculation until you call them as each rental company handles it differently. Call 800-654-4174 and give the phone agent the number off the top of your rental contract and they will be able to quote you a price for the revised date/location.
wobbly wings likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 1:41 pm

AutoSlash is right that it depends on the rate behind your reservation. I had to return a weekly rental just 2 days after pick-up due to an unexpected family medical emergency. The return agent scanned the car and showed me the charges on her tablet - my 2-day rental was more than my rental costs for the entire week. I explained to her about my family emergency and she directed me to the Gold desk. Spoke with gold desk agent about my situation (still had my hospital tag on), she was very understanding and manually adjusted my 2-day rental charge based on the average daily cost for my weekly rental rate.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire, AA EXP, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*
Thanks both of you for this. yzhng117 - Really hope the health issue was resolved for the best. In my case, I called them up and the charges are entirely as I'd expected, ie the weekly rate + additional days for the period queried and the one way fees removed. Apparently it's all in the system - the agent had to try and alter the booking and see what the system would quote. I was also advised to have them alter the contract before returning the vehicle to ensure prompt return.

Search this Thread