FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   ATL to FLL & back options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1977718-atl-fll-back-options.html)

GentleGiant Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm

ATL to FLL & back options?

HI :)

Need advice from the more experienced here.

In December we need to drive from ATL to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise (not sure which Hertz location for that), then in January back to ATL.

One way seems to be rather pricey - which doubles on the return.

I suppose I could park the car up for 2 weeks - but is that the best option?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

s4popo Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Parking the car for 2 weeks might be your best option. What is the price difference of renting two one-ways vs. the longer round-trip? Also, why is it necessary to drive a car in the first place? Might have some other options on that side of the equation.

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 31293576)
HI :)

Need advice from the more experienced here.

In December we need to drive from ATL to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise (not sure which Hertz location for that), then in January back to ATL.

One way seems to be rather pricey - which doubles on the return.

I suppose I could park the car up for 2 weeks - but is that the best option?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I suggest that you re-check rates (and not just with Hertz) in September, after the rental-car companies post their Florida "drive-in" rates. (Whether those rates will extend as far into December as you will be traveling, I do not know. Is this a Christmas-New Year's cruise?)

GentleGiant Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by s4popo (Post 31293761)
Parking the car for 2 weeks might be your best option. What is the price difference of renting two one-ways vs. the longer round-trip? Also, why is it necessary to drive a car in the first place? Might have some other options on that side of the equation.

We have 5 days in which to make the southbound journey and 2 days to make the return. So even if we flew, we would still need to book a car whilst we stayed in the Miami area. Flying isn't that much cheaper for 2 people. We will have luggage so would cost extra in baggage. We are flying into Atlanta from the UK.

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31293776)
I suggest that you re-check rates (and not just with Hertz) in September, after the rental-car companies post their Florida "drive-in" rates. (Whether those rates will extend as far into December as you will be traveling, I do not know. Is this a Christmas-New Year's cruise?)

Thanks. I can always book now, and then cancel if need be. Yes cruise over Christmas / New Year.

Just didn't know if there was some secret option haha

Auto Enthusiast Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

If you can find a FL drivein rate, it would be best. ATL and the Piedmont region of the South tend to have the one-way special last, relative to the Northeast, because the warm weather lasts longer. You MAY get lucky.

Even so, your reverse one-way would be reverse peak, and therefore very expensive. Obviously you can't wait for the FL driveout in Mar/Apr/May. Is flying home to the UK from Miami an option? Can you redeem a free day for the one-way back to ATL if not?

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 10:30 pm

The OP might also consider picking up his rental car not at ATL airport, but rather at a non-airport location. The price differential might be substantial.

And unless the airplane ticket has already been purchased and would be expensive to change, I would look into the cost of an open-jaw ticket: fly into ATL, and out of MIA or FLL -- or even TPA or MCO.