No record of rental

Old Jul 11, 19, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
No record of rental

So I recently just finished a weekly rental from ATL. They gave me a printout of the contract when I picked it up. I chose email receipts at the return lot as I was in a rush and didn't have time to wait on them to go print it out. However a few days later I haven't received a receipt or any points or anything ( I returned it Sunday 07/07) . I called the presidents circle counter, they were unable to pull up a record of the rental at all from the rental record number, the confirmation number, or by driver's license number! I have heard some craziness about Hertz glitches getting people accused of stolen vehicles, should I be worried?

Last edited by tb17; Jul 11, 19 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: AAA, Hertz Gold Plus
Do you still have the printout of the contract from when you picked it up? If so, then I wouldn't worry but even if you don't I think you're fine.
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is why you hang onto the paper until you have the e-receipt. At this point, forget the e-receipt, scan in the paper like the old days and move on.
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I left the the printout in the glovebox of the car. So I'm good? Was this just a free rental?
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:32 am

Something similar happened to me back in Feb. I rented a car for one day from the HLE I rent from every week had the pending charge when I picked i up the car, returned it and put the keys in the drop box, the next day I never got the receipt and the pending charge fell off. My year to date rental number didn't go up after it either and I don't have a record of it in my past rentals. I rent from them every week so they would have said something if there was an issue, its probably just a glitch in your favor.
tb17 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:28 am

This happened to someone else on the forums recently too. I think it's a major liability issue. What happens if you get in an accident in a car there's no record you rented?
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
This happened to someone else on the forums recently too. I think it's a major liability issue. What happens if you get in an accident in a car there's no record you rented?
If renting from a major location, there is likely video evidence of the car being taken out

Unless a location has reported the theft of a vehicle, I cannot imagine it being an issue at all
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by tb17 View Post
They gave me a printout of the contract when I picked it up.
Did you look at the contract? Are you sure it was in your name?

What charges are on your credit card? Is the pre-auth on pick-up there?
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Did you look at the contract? Are you sure it was in your name?

What charges are on your credit card? Is the pre-auth on pick-up there?
Yeah there was a pre authorization hold for just the amount of the rental. Everything was the same as all my other rentals, except it all vanished when I returned it. It was like it never existed. Free rental I guess.
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If renting from a major location, there is likely video evidence of the car being taken out

Unless a location has reported the theft of a vehicle, I cannot imagine it being an issue at all
But no contract has been executed. Insurance might not cover it, state liability laws, etc.

Search this Thread