Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can't get reservation canceled and I don't know what to do.

Can't get reservation canceled and I don't know what to do.

Old Jul 8, 19, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Unhappy Can't get reservation canceled and I don't know what to do.

Back in April, I made a rental reservation for this coming Thursday-Sunday to have as a backup plan for a trip I'm taking. I recently confirmed I'll be picked up by a friend so I'm trying to cancel the reservation. When I log into my account and call up the reservation, hit cancel, and then hit "yes" when it confirms if you want to cancel, nothing happens. I called and after a long hold was told I'd have to be transferred to rewards line. They told me it was canceled but when I logged back into my account it's still there.

So, uh...is there way to escalate this or anything? I don't want to get charged a no-show fee and lose the points I'd put toward a day of the rental because they can't properly process this cancellation.

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Jul 8, 19 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:24 pm

Call back? Email? Ask them to escalate?

Email might be best as you can have written proof that you tried to cancel within the allowed timeframe.
Eurynom0s, strickerj and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by missingcolours View Post
Call back? Email? Ask them to escalate?

Email might be best as you can have written proof that you tried to cancel within the allowed timeframe.
Yeah, I wanted to email, but was having trouble finding an email address. Then I reached out on Twitter DM but they didn't respond. Just called for a fourth (!!!) time and finally got someone who was able to get it canceled. It took me like two hours of calling and calling (I tried calling the airport location, but it turns out it's an independent location and Google/Yelp reviews show I'm not the only one who's experienced them not picking up their phone) and I was an hour into it when I posted this.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 2:56 am

Unless you prepaid, you spent too much time on this because there's no penalty for not picking up a reservation. I would have just left it especially since Hertz's website is bad and their customer service is almost as bad.
jim32190 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:07 am

Not true anymore. With points reservations, failure to cancel within 24 hours of reserving means you forfeit the points.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call back.

You will have an endless fight on your hands to recover the points if you don't do the legwork now.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I also had trouble canceling a reservation at the end of last week. A friend and I had each made reservations and decided who ever landed first would get the car -- that ended up being my friend. My carfirmation reported that Hertz assigned a Jaguar XS on my midsize reservation so it was terribly painful to cancel -- but you gotta do what you gotta do. I was however unable to cancel. Hertz did not charge my card.
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noah View Post
...............My carfirmation reported that Hertz assigned a Jaguar XS on my midsize reservation so it was terribly painful to cancel -- but you gotta do what you gotta do. I was however unable to cancel. Hertz did not charge my card.
Different issue, or no issue. Hertz system doesn't allow cancellation on day of rental. When you receive carfirmation, your contract is open already. It was voided after you no-showed.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Different issue, or no issue. Hertz system doesn't allow cancellation on day of rental. When you receive carfirmation, your contract is open already. It was voided after you no-showed.
Funny thing -- today I got an email receipt from Hertz for this rental. Said I picked it up at 1:30pm on Friday and returned at 12:30pm Monday and drove 300 miles. I called Hertz, they verified that I had not rented that car, said it was checked out to somebody else but charged to me -- and they refunded the charge. Weird!

Search this Thread