Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changing credit card for Gold status, and existing reservations

Old Jul 3, 19, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

I have a couple of reservations in place for the next couple of weeks. I want to change my credit card used for rentals (see below). Does anyone know if the credit card is linked to the rental at the time of reservation, or at the time you pick up the car? I.e., if I change the default card today, will this automatically apply to the existing reservations? The prices for those dates are much higher now, as it's getting close to time of rental.

Why? I recently noticed that my Citi card has dropped car rental coverage, so I thought I better check my preferred card (Fidelity from Elan) to make sure. According to their benefits doc, their insurance coverage applies only to rentals of 15 days or less. Surprised me, and both my rentals are 16 days. Seems I'll be OK if I put the rental on my Amex instead.

I know I can call Hertz, but I am not confident in the answer I'll get over the phone. Yes I should be able to check when I actually pick up the car, but that involves a trip to the counter I suspect before I head out to the gate.
Old Jul 3, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Should not be a problem. just tell the agent at the booth or counter you want to switch the cc.
AutoSlash and MojaveFlyer like this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:08 pm

I have two CCs listed on my Hz account. After the reservation was booked online, I logged in and changed the default (primary) CC to the other one (secondary). When I rented the car, the CC (new primary) charged for the rental was the proper one.

This was a few years ago, before Ultimate Choice was introduced. The CC change was made a couple weeks before the rental. I know contracts are usually printed the day before or day of.

You should be good as long as the CC you want charged is listed as primary in your account.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Just confirming what radiolarian said above. My reservation is for Tuesday. Today I got a reminder mail about it, with a link to look at the res (which of course I could have done without the link). Looked at the res, clicked "more details", and I see the new CC listed. So, the change was noted in their system.

Search this Thread