Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to bypass counter on first time rental with gold

Old Jun 21, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAA, Hertz Gold Plus

I have Hertz gold and an upcoming reservation in July. I would prefer to skip the counter at the airport if possible. I've heard that your first rental with Hertz requires you to stop at the counter, and my confirmation email from Hertz says as much. I've also heard that it's possible to get a local hertz office to upload the needed Id + credit card on file and then you can skip counter on what would be your first rental. I called my closest hertz rental (a corporate location) and they said that they couldn't help me.

Any tips on this or previous experiences? It's not a huge deal but I'd rather skip the counter if I can.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:21 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by jimbo215 View Post
I have Hertz gold and an upcoming reservation in July. I would prefer to skip the counter at the airport if possible. I've heard that your first rental with Hertz requires you to stop at the counter, and my confirmation email from Hertz says as much. I've also heard that it's possible to get a local hertz office to upload the needed Id + credit card on file and then you can skip counter on what would be your first rental. I called my closest hertz rental (a corporate location) and they said that they couldn't help me.

Any tips on this or previous experiences? It's not a huge deal but I'd rather skip the counter if I can.
If it's an Ultimate Choice location then you can just grab any vehicle from the regular Gold UC section assuming you booked an intermediate car or higher and drive to the exit booth. They will scan your credit card at the exit booth. If it's a non-UC location you may have to go to the counter if your name is not on the board with an assigned space. That said, you should be able to get on the line for Gold members which hopefully will be shorter than the "regular" line.

Supposedly it's possible to stop in at an HLE (Hertz Local Edition) location and have them swipe your card there, but YMMV as you found.
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
If it's an UC location then you can just grab any vehicle from the regular Gold UC section assuming you booked an intermediate car or higher and drive to the exit booth. They will scan your credit card at the exit booth. If it's a non-UC location you may have to go to the counter if your name is not on the board with an assigned space. That said, you should be able to get on the line for Gold members which hopefully will be shorter than the "regular" line.

Supposedly it's possible to stop in at an HLE (Hertz Local Edition) location and have them swipe your card there, but YMMV as you found.
Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that my rental is from SLC airport, which is a UC location (I believe). Hopefully my name is on the board and everything goes through. I've heard some bad stories about the lines and service at SLC.
Old Jun 21, 19, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimbo215 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that my rental is from SLC airport, which is a UC location (I believe). Hopefully my name is on the board and everything goes through. I've heard some bad stories about the lines and service at SLC.
If you check your confirmation email, does it state Service Type: Gold Canopy or Service Type: Standard Counter ? if it is marked as gold service , you should be able to go directly to a car; if it says standard, then you will need to go inside and see an agent
Old Jun 21, 19, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Standard counter, sadly . Thanks for the info
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Just thought I would follow up on this. I had my rental at SLC airport on July 13th-23rd. My plane landed on time and I got our luggage and walked over to the rental car area. For the record, thrifty, dollar, and budget all had huge lines but Hertz, Avis, National and Enterprise were all short or non-existent. I walked up to the hertz counter and told him my situation with being a first time gold. The agent was polite and told me I could still go to the gold counter in the garage. I went to the garage, didn't see my name on the board and went to the gold booth. The agents there were also very friendly. Handed them my ID and credit card. She said "how about a hyundai tuscon?" I countered with a Toyota Rav4 but they didn't have any. Instead of putting her through the works, I told her a Tuscon was OK. She handed me the keys and I went to the stall. I was a little nervous that it had Cali plates but it turned out to be a 2019 Tuscon that only had 3200 miles on it. Base trim but still plenty comfortable for me and my wife on our little road trip. Return was also easy, they barely looked at the car and gave me my receipt.
One thing that was weird is that they put "mileage out" as 4900ish which was much higher than what I actually had.

So all in all, I did have to go to the counter (the gold counter) but I can't imagine it took me any longer than a normal gold rental would have been.

Last edited by jimbo215; Jul 24, 19 at 9:55 am

Search this Thread