At LAX: Hertz charged gas after return!

Old Jun 17, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

At LAX: Hertz charged gas after return!

​​​​​I am Presidentís Circle. This was second time that happened. Filled up tank as always before returning car. There was a long line, my flight departure was tight, so I did not wait for a receipt.
Receipt emailed from Hertz showing the tank was 0/8, completely empty!!!!
Called customer service, was told that I had to send the gas purchase receipt for proof. Guess what? I opted Ďno receiptí at the pump.
Any advice or help to resolve this ridiculous charge from Hertz? ($52.00 approx.)
😡😡😡
Old Jun 17, 19, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon View Post

​​​​​I am Presidentís Circle. This was second time that happened. Filled up tank as always before returning car. There was a long line, my flight departure was tight, so I did not wait for a receipt.
Receipt emailed from Hertz showing the tank was 0/8, completely empty!!!!
Called customer service, was told that I had to send the gas purchase receipt for proof. Guess what? I opted Ďno receiptí at the pump.
Any advice or help to resolve this ridiculous charge from Hertz? ($52.00 approx.)
😡😡😡
Did you take a photo showing the odometer reading and fuel level when you returned the car? This is now my standard practice, regardless of whom I rent from.

If you didn't, and if you didn't get a gas receipt when you filled up and didn't wait for a receipt from Hertz when you returned the car, you're just asking for trouble these days.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having President's Circle status makes no difference here

Keeping receipt for petrol purchase is a sensible thing to do since it provides fairly decent evidence that petrol was purchased for the vehicle, how much , where and when

With that, no issue. Alternatively wait until there is an agent to mark the car off before leaving

Not sure what you can do - If you have asked the location and it has said no to cancelling other than if mileage driven was short enough that it would not have been realistic to have used a whole tank, getting it reduced accordingly
Old Jun 17, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Send credit card transaction entry from online banking, maybe it says the location and time you visited a station, and cost of how much you filled?
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Did you take a photo showing the odometer reading and fuel level when you returned the car? This is now my standard practice, regardless of whom I rent from.
Same here. Takes two secs and saves you the headache if they claim otherwise.

Pretty infuriating though that they would try and con you this way. OP, are you sure it wasn't Sixt you were renting from...? ;-)
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
Originally Posted by jim32190 View Post
Send credit card transaction entry from online banking, maybe it says the location and time you visited a station, and cost of how much you filled?
It is strange that they consider a gas receipt as a proof of putting fuel - it doesnít show which car was filled up
But as long as they do, a screenshot from your credit card statement should suffice.
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:28 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Usually when I get the "e-receipt" after completion of the rental, there's a link that says submit gas receipt here.

Old Jun 25, 19, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
LAX is one of the worst stations out there. I had a car showing as non-returned and they were threatening me with a lawsuit. For a separate no-show reservation, the 1 day charge was shown driven for 53 miles .

Back on topic - maybe send in the credit card individual gas charge as proof of fuel receipt?
Old Jun 25, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon View Post
Am I the only one shocked by the low $52 amount? I just rented a car and they told me if I don't fill up, the charge will be $9.99 a gallon!
Old Jun 29, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by araknis View Post
Am I the only one shocked by the low $52 amount? I just rented a car and they told me if I don't fill up, the charge will be $9.99 a gallon!
That's actually a very good point. $52 sounds far more like the price for opting for the fuel option at pickup, at which point them marking it as empty on return would have no impact on the charge.
Ordpc likes this.

Search this Thread