Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ghost Rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Ghost Rental?

Rented a car from Hertz around two weeks ago. When I drove to the checkout and handed my license to the lady (who looked brand new) she asked me "Is this a reserved car?" I had no idea what she was asking, so I told her "Yes, I have a reservation, and this car was parked in President's Circle". She says ok, hands me back my license, opens the gate and sends me on my way. It was odd because 1) she didn't scan the bar code like they normally do 2) didn't ask me for the mileage on the car and 3) didn't give me a contract printout. But I was tired after hours of flying and just wanted to get to the hotel. Normally, within 10 minutes of picking up the car, I get the Rental Agreement email. Never came. Checked my Amex account the next day and there was no pending charge. Couple of days later, I return the car in the eReturn lane. You guessed it - never received the email with the receipt. And here we are almost 2 days later and the charge never hit Amex. I'm guessing she did not check me out properly and there was no record of me renting the car.

What should I do? I'm worried if I call them they'll either have no idea what I'm talking about and just screw it up even more somehow. So here I have the Itinerary sitting in Concur with no receipt, and if they do figure it out and bill me like a month from now the date probably won't match the Itinerary and my company will reject the expense. Should I just ignore it and hope it never comes through?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it gets fixed and a receipt comes through, there's no reason why it would be incorrect

I would just leave it
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant
Rented a car from Hertz around two weeks ago. When I drove to the checkout and handed my license to the lady (who looked brand new) she asked me "Is this a reserved car?" I had no idea what she was asking, so I told her "Yes, I have a reservation, and this car was parked in President's Circle". She says ok, hands me back my license, opens the gate and sends me on my way. It was odd because 1) she didn't scan the bar code like they normally do 2) didn't ask me for the mileage on the car and 3) didn't give me a contract printout. But I was tired after hours of flying and just wanted to get to the hotel. Normally, within 10 minutes of picking up the car, I get the Rental Agreement email. Never came. Checked my Amex account the next day and there was no pending charge. Couple of days later, I return the car in the eReturn lane. You guessed it - never received the email with the receipt. And here we are almost 2 days later and the charge never hit Amex. I'm guessing she did not check me out properly and there was no record of me renting the car.

What should I do? I'm worried if I call them they'll either have no idea what I'm talking about and just screw it up even more somehow. So here I have the Itinerary sitting in Concur with no receipt, and if they do figure it out and bill me like a month from now the date probably won't match the Itinerary and my company will reject the expense. Should I just ignore it and hope it never comes through?
So you drove off in a rental car with no printed contract? I would not have wanted to be in your shoes if you had been stopped by the police.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:57 pm

Unless you really want the rental credit or points, sounds to me like you just got a free rental

If you later get a charge that's not accurate, you can always dispute it at that point
windscar and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by guv1976
So you drove off in a rental car with no printed contract? I would not have wanted to be in your shoes if you had been stopped by the police.
Its actually fairly common these days to NOT have a printed contract. National and Avis have both recently let me go without printed contracts (but do have a number for the police to call if needed to verify rental status).
cestmoi123 and Bjam99 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noah
Its actually fairly common these days to NOT have a printed contract. National and Avis have both recently let me go without printed contracts (but do have a number for the police to call if needed to verify rental status).
Hertz emails clients rental records if they’re Gold, even if they accept printed ones at the gate. Looks like OP just got a free rental and the vehicle was never checked out (prima facie stolen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.