Search

Can't take CDW out...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Can't take CDW out...

Subj, what would be the case for it?

Rental is picking up and dropping off at Marriott/SFO. Then there is following which is included in the rental:

INCLUDED
  • Hotel Concession Fee Recovery
  • Loss Damage Waiver
  • Total Sales Tax
  • Liability Insurance Supplement
  • Vehicle License Recovery Fee
  • Tires Recovery Fee (TRF)

No matter what I tried, I could not get insurance to taken away. Any suggestions?

If that helps, booked rental via this page MasterCard & Hertz presents Explore the World on Wheels
Also, I reside outside of US, but have US DL.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is because the rate includes LDW & LIS and isn't an optional extra; as such you cannot take it away

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 10, 2019 at 4:05 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Subj, what would be the case for it?

Rental is picking up and dropping off at Marriott/SFO. Then there is following which is included in the rental:

No matter what I tried, I could not get insurance to taken away. Any suggestions?

If that helps, booked rental via this page MasterCard & Hertz presents Explore the World on Wheels
Also, I reside outside of US, but have US DL.
If you click on the link and look at the URL, you'll see that it's a Hertz Asia site. Foreign websites of U.S. rental companies often offer all-inclusive rates for foreign visitors to the U.S. But whether someone who presents a U.S. driver license at pick-up will be allowed to actually rent the car at that rate is another question.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you click on the link and look at the URL, you'll see that it's a Hertz Asia site. Foreign websites of U.S. rental companies often offer all-inclusive rates for foreign visitors to the U.S. But whether someone who presents a U.S. driver license at pick-up will be allowed to actually rent the car at that rate is another question.
There is no issue at all with someone having a US driving licence and using a booking made in Asia
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Are you sure that it is citizenship/DL matters rather than country of residence?
I have been living overseas for >7 years.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:38 am

Are you sure that it is citizenship/DL matters rather than country of residence?
There is no issue at all - bookings with Hertz are not restricted by country of driving licence.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question is: What does Hertz mean by "residence"? Is it merely wherever you happen to be living at the moment, or do they mean "legal residence" (domicile)? Only Hertz can answer that question.

Are you a permanent resident of the country in which you currently live (i.e., status equivalent to foreigners residing in the U.S. with a green card)?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no issue at all - bookings with Hertz are not restricted by country of driving licence.
This language, which I also posted in the OP's other thread in the FT Travel Products forum, appears on the Hertz website:

"Renters who have indicated a country of residence outside of the US will be required to present a non US issued drivers license and a non US issued passport OR an international airline ticket at the time of rental to qualify for the rate."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:19 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:25 pm

This language, which I also posted in the OP's other thread in the FT Travel Products forum, appears on the Hertz website:

"Renters who have indicated a country of residence outside of the US will be required to present a non US issued drivers license and a non US issued passport OR an international airline ticket at the time of rental to qualify for the rate."
Hertz no longer has anything that asks for country of residence on its website when making a booking

At one time, the dropdown for country on website referred to residence - it hasn't done so for a long time
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Hertz no longer has anything that asks for country of residence on its website when making a booking

At one time, the dropdown for country on website referred to residence - it hasn't done so for a long time
Oh really? From hertz.co.uk and hertz.com.au, respectively:

Australia

Last edited by cestmoi123; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:39 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:46 am

In practice, I've never seen this enforced, with either HLE reservations where I appear at the counter, or with Gold/Ultimate Rewards reservations where I simply pick up a vehicle and show my ID at the gate.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
In case of a rental in California you actually save money as a foreigner: Americans must purchase the quite expensive liability in durable in CA ($14.95/day) if they don’t own and insure a car already.
CA is the only state where liability isn’t included in the rentals.
As for CDW, there is a zero deductible, your overall rate is very good, don’t worry about it
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Firstboss
In case of a rental in California you actually save money as a foreigner: Americans must purchase the quite expensive liability in durable in CA ($14.95/day) if they don’t own and insure a car already.
CA is the only state where liability isn’t included in the rentals.
As for CDW, there is a zero deductible, your overall rate is very good, don’t worry about it
It's not just CA. CA is just the only state where it's actually illegal not to purchase the SLI (or have your own liability insurance), so you can get a ticket for driving without the proper insurance. In the rest of the country, though, you're at best getting minimal liability coverage included from Hertz, and Hertz can still come after you if they have to pay out on that.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
It's not just CA. CA is just the only state where it's actually illegal not to purchase the SLI (or have your own liability insurance), so you can get a ticket for driving without the proper insurance. In the rest of the country, though, you're at best getting minimal liability coverage included from Hertz, and Hertz can still come after you if they have to pay out on that.
There are a handful of states where Hertz provides primary state-minimum liability coverage to renters who are otherwise uninsured. In those states, Hertz cannot obtain reimbursement in the event they must make a payout that does not exceed the insurance limits. And, for rentals in California, Hertz automatically provides primary, state-minimum liability coverage to foreign renters who happen to book a rate that does not include SLI:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.