Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz unveils "My Car" subscription service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...ption-program/

$1000-$1400 a month includes insurance ($1000 deductible), roadside assistance, unlimited mileage and two swaps per month. There's a $250 enrollment fee and it's only available in Atlanta and Austin.

It's better than Enterprise's subscription program but still way too expensive to be a reasonable option for most people. Cut the price in half and I'd be seriously interested.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
$1400 a month !?!?! You could buy and insure a pretty nice car for that amount.. and have a car to sell/keep when your payments were over.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Also, while this includes insurance on the vehicle, it doesn't include liability insurance, which you'd need to get elsewhere. This also doesn't include a place to park the car, which removes one of the potential appeals of this system (around me, parking is $400/month and up).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
The only benefit to this program is that you can swap cars. That aside, Volvo will give you a new S60 for $750/mo in their Care by Volvo program, or the XC40 SUV for even less, which includes all but the car swap - and it’s a new car, not some junk that’s been abused by other renters. Yes there is a mileage cap but it’s quite high at 15,000mi/yr.

or if you fancy a German luxury car, nearly all automakers offer a similar program for around the same cost and you get a fantastic vehicle too.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jim32190
The only benefit to this program is that you can swap cars. That aside, Volvo will give you a new S60 for $750/mo in their Care by Volvo program, or the XC40 SUV for even less, which includes all but the car swap - and it’s a new car, not some junk that’s been abused by other renters. Yes there is a mileage cap but it’s quite high at 15,000mi/yr.

or if you fancy a German luxury car, nearly all automakers offer a similar program for around the same cost and you get a fantastic vehicle too.
One key difference, the Care By Volvo is a two year commitment, while the Hertz program is month to month.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
One key difference, the Care By Volvo is a two year commitment, while the Hertz program is month to month.
True. In terms of leasing, I've gotten BMW 3 series leases for about $200/month on a 24month/10K miles a year (which for me is enough).
The Hertz option is month to month (vs usually a min of a 24month lease), but it is very, very, expensive. I'm wondering if it isn't just cheaper to rent a car from Hertz at 2 week intervals, and just swap that way. Surely, that must be cheaper than this program.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
True. In terms of leasing, I've gotten BMW 3 series leases for about $200/month on a 24month/10K miles a year (which for me is enough).
The Hertz option is month to month (vs usually a min of a 24month lease), but it is very, very, expensive. I'm wondering if it isn't just cheaper to rent a car from Hertz at 2 week intervals, and just swap that way. Surely, that must be cheaper than this program.
The Hertz program certainly does appear pricey to me, although it's probably cheaper than a monthly rental in a lot of markets. When/where were you getting $200/month 24 month/10K leases on 3 series? Were you putting down a huge amount upfront?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For comparison, my company's corporate rate is $545/month plus fees for a full size. A luxury is $890.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
For comparison, my company's corporate rate is $545/month plus fees for a full size. A luxury is $890.
You can do that at a UC location, enroll in Amex primary rental insurance for $20, and you've got everything this program offers for half the price. New rental every 30 days.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Interesting. Ours seems to vary by location - right now it's $900+tax at LGA, but only $600+tax at ORD for an Intermediate.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like a pretty lousy offer.

If you don't want swaps, just lease whatever you want for far less money.
If you want swaps or just want to try something like this out month-to-month, just do 2-week luxury/specialty rentals. Either buy Amex's primary rental insurance or keep a non-owner auto policy and rent with any decent credit card.

For $600/mo for the base package, I might become interested solely for the convenience (vs. actually booking ongoing rentals).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
is this offer going to expand to more locations? although it doesn't seem to matter as they will deliver the car....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Joonydell
is this offer going to expand to more locations? although it doesn't seem to matter as they will deliver the car....
Probably depends on how well the pilot goes.

The other bit to keep in mind is that these are the max-retail prices. Chances are good they're pitching this to companies at different price points.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I have been "renting" a car for over 2 years from Hertz now and I can tell you that it is cheaper to rent with LDW than this monthly rate.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by mdbe
I have been "renting" a car for over 2 years from Hertz now and I can tell you that it is cheaper to rent with LDW than this monthly rate.
I had long-term rentals from Hertz for a couple years and even the swap thing wasn't an issue. It was just a Hertz local edition near my office, but I could within reason bring the car back for another one pretty regularly. They wanted it back for maintenance intervals anyway, and never balked when I brought it back just to get something different. Our corp rate with LDW wasn't bad...similar to what's been posted here already. There were about 10 of us from the same company renting from this HLE and we eventually got to know the 3 or 4 people who regularly worked there.

Granted, it was an era when this HLE had a pretty boring array of cars. Not like I was swapping into a Jag or anything. More like "I'm tired of the tan Taurus, I'd like the green one now." If they had a Ford Explorer that was cause for great excitement.
Schweden likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.