Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz has no car for my reservation at FLL - how to escalate ?

Old May 26, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Couple weeks ago I reserved Mercedes SLK from Hertz prestige collection at FLL, today I tried to pick it up and none is available at the counter. Was offered choice of Kia's or Taho.
I had all vacation planned arround having the SLK, local manager said they can't get cars from other locations or if I don't want I can just leave.
Is there a good way to escalate it ?
Old May 26, 19, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This implies that the car you want is at another location, but Hertz simply won't deliver it. How far is it? Within a reasonable Uber ride? If so, I would make sure the car is yours and head over there. You can sort out a request to have the Uber reimbursed or some other compensation once you are back home.

If there is not such a car, then start calling around to other FLL and off-site locations to see what you can find. For what it is worth, a very quick check of Avis shows that it has a number of luxury vehicles available for pickup at FLL. Maybe not exactly what you want, but seems to be close.

It's unlikely that you are going to find someone who can do what you want, e.g. have the car driven to you. I'm not even sure you want to be the one doing the waiting. If the vehicle doesn't exist, you are wasting your time entirely. As with the compensation above, you may deal with it when you are back home.
Joonydell likes this.

Last edited by Often1; May 26, 19 at 7:28 am
Old May 27, 19, 12:26 am

You could try asking them to let you exchange whatever they have for something at MIA or PBI.
Old May 27, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I came back to FLL location after night at hotel and Hertz had the SLK, but the rate went up, after waisting 2 hours on second attempt picking it up gave up - counter people were only able to adjust the rate to about 30$ over my original reservation.
I probably wasn't clear - but FLL Hertz people weren't willing to check nearby locations to find the vehicle I reserved - I was told they don't share the fleet.

So I waisted about 5 hours of my vacation tring to get the vechile I reserved from Hertz, no apologies and was charged higher rate.

In a pintch I was able to make a reservation with Alamo awith Costco discount for a very reasonable rate for mustang convertible - but I ended up cancelling it.
Old May 27, 19, 2:15 pm

They probably don't want to share the exotic cars. Most of them are leased, assigned to a specific location, and watched closely. I'm sure if it were a Yaris or Camry, sharing wouldn't be an issue.
Old May 27, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
So they didnít have what you booked and stuck you with something inferior (without any compensation), then you went back the next day and they did have the SLK but wanted to charge you extra for it? Thatís crappy. It sounds as though youíre getting nowhere with the local management, so Iíd send a complaint to corporate and see where it goes. I assume a big airport location like FLL is corporate, not franchised?
Old May 27, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
So they didnít have what you booked and stuck you with something inferior (without any compensation), then you went back the next day and they did have the SLK but wanted to charge you extra for it? Thatís crappy. It sounds as though youíre getting nowhere with the local management, so Iíd send a complaint to corporate and see where it goes. I assume a big airport location like FLL is corporate, not franchised?
The overwhelming share of rentals in the US are at corporate locations. Outside of tiny locations, it's all corporate.
strickerj and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 27, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Yes, FLL is corporate.
I had a similar issue at a non-airport location, in which they had car at all for me.
They finally had a return come in a bout an hour later which they gave me.
Strange.
Old May 30, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kirill Gubernov View Post
I came back to FLL location after night at hotel and Hertz had the SLK, but the rate went up, after waisting 2 hours on second attempt picking it up gave up - counter people were only able to adjust the rate to about 30$ over my original reservation.
Next time, take the car with the new rate and write in afterwards to get it adjusted. 5 hours of time to have no car over a $30 difference seems petty.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 12:24 pm

It sounds like they may have been expecting the SLK to come in and be available to you but it was returned late or whatever. Could be a host of reasons.

I'm not sure I really understand the logic behind walking away from just taking the SLK over $30. I completely get that it's really frustrating but I would rather spend my vacation time on vacation. I'd have spent the $30 (assuming it was just a total amount and not $30 PER DAY?) and then complained, complained, complained to claw it back after I get back from vacation (and can complain during my work hours but I understand that's just me.

Search this Thread