Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Rewards May 2019 USA Redemption Devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Rewards May 2019 USA Redemption Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:33 am

as those of us choosing Hertz comprehend we pay a surcharge for selection & customer service

Actually many of us comprehend we pay a surcharge for a similar selection and indifferent/incompetent customer service. Lol.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:46 am

I'm so angered by this change actually. What a huge slap in the face! I have 3 weekly reservations in Hawaii I made on points and I was told that if I choose to cancel any of them now after 24 hours from the time of booking I''ll also forfeit 50% of my points! I'm only lucky that 1 of 3 was for an suv and I was able to get it at the old points rates, but now if I want to make any changes they can't be done online and have to be done on the phone and no one seems to know what to do if I want to switch car types (permitted within the category type). The reps themselves don't seem to be fully up to date with the recent changes. I had to hang up on one and call back to get someone who actually tried to help (wasted almost an hour on the phone).

I have been loyal to hertz for years and they can be sure after these rentals I'll be diverting my business elsewhere.
leland and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:26 am

The points cancellation policy makes zero sense. If I cancel a hotel reservation or a Southwest flight I booked with points within a reasonable period ahead of the reservation, I get all my points back. Now I get penalized for booking a specialty vehicle in advance to make sure I get it when I need it. I saw a popup when making a reservation but thought it said I lost those points if I cancelled within 24 hours of pickup. You can bet I am writing Hertz on this one. I hope I don't have to cancel my reservation for Christmas (I booked a minivan to take two elderly relatives to my parents' as I do every year, but my brother who lives near said relatives talked about possibly hosting this year).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are numerous schemes which impose penalties for cancellations. South West may have no penalty, but AA, for example, will charge $150 to redeposit miles on a cancellation 24 hours after ticketing.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are numerous schemes which impose penalties for cancellations. South West may have no penalty, but AA, for example, will charge $150 to redeposit miles on a cancellation 24 hours after ticketing.
Then why is there no apparent penalty for cash reservations or an ability to recover all points for a fee?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by MASTERNC

Then why is there no apparent penalty for cash reservations or an ability to recover all points for a fee?
Basically, they're treating points reservations like prepaid reservations.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC

There are penalties on prepaid rates ( these vary depending on country where booked )

Hertz has decided to put restrictions on points bookings - there doesn't have to be an ability ro recover them - just need to make a business decision on whether you think the restrictions are worth the collecting of points ; will you get better value collecting FF miles and only booking pay later rates - or just using another car hire company will be better

It is not the only scheme that has penalties
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:23 am

True, but as the pace of change accelerates in society, people have less time and patience for long-winded self-service processes. Consumers often find they need more speed and flexibility. Companies with rigid, early cancellation policies are finding themselves increasingly vulnerable to on-demand services.

The situations where someone would/can waste time picking up, parking, refueling, and returning rental cars are dwindling. There will always be a few specific, non replaceable use cases, such as a vacation roadtrip, but that's probably not enough to stay in business.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
I've recently paid attention to the dollars-off redemption options. For example, 600 points for $30 off. Can be a reasonable redemption value when rates are low. If rate is $15/day, this yields two days for 600 points, versus 1500 points required under the newly-worsened reward chart. Obviously better for customer. And if Hertz corporate is concerned about redemptions on super-high-priced vehicles at peak time, this also helps protect them against that.

Today the dollars-off redemptions are no longer appearing for me within hetz.com, and also appear to be missing from https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...points-program . Gone for good? What a double-whammy that would be.
A week later, this problem remains. No dollars-off redemptions in any of my attempts to book with Hertz Rewards. Only the crazy-poor-value newly-devalued ordinary redemptions. Super annoying.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:01 am

Have you tried calling in? I personally call the PC line whenever I can't book a reward online, but the regular rewards desk should be able to get it done as well.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:05 am

If it is no longer an award, as suggested by its absence from the reward chart, telephone reservations agents will not be able to do it

The agent might be able to confirm whether the award still exists
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I think the last response is accurate. Hertz business loyal folks have corporate contracts so no risk losing those clients. With car rental searching many go for price vs. brand of Hertz or Avis so they really don't lose anything from a retention perspective as those of us choosing Hertz comprehend we pay a surcharge for selection & customer service. If we want to save the $xx p/day we go with their cheaper Dollar or Thrifty sub. With competition from ride sharing, and the fact car rentals quality/standards is decreasing (Sentra is intermediate car, Cruze is GOLD) why should they give anything free.
Hertz has the worst customer service of the big agencies.
And cars are becoming bigger and more spacious.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Interestingly enough, Hertz's Twitter agents claim the cancellation penalty for points reservations only takes effect if you cancel less than 24 hours before pick-up. This is despite me sending them the link to the policy on the Hertz website. You bet I captured that conversation to fight Hertz if I have to cancel and they don't restore all my points.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:01 pm

I think I see signs Hertz is already feeling the consequences of diverted future business after the points devaluation. I noticed some markets show them to be the lowest price, and not necessarily by just a few dollars either, where they tend to be the most expensive by far. That's for both one-way and simple roundtrip use cases, as well.

It also seems that when competitors are sold out, Hertz is not, even when in the past they would have been the 2nd (after National) to do so. And even then, Hertz pricing is lower than it normally would have been. Interesting.

Hertz is probably gambling this is a temporary and small loss. As with everything so shortsighted they do, I doubt it will be.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by lmp623
I have been saving a long time and am VERY angry. I hope they see this. I will not be using Hertz any more unless they are the only game in town and I have to use them.
Laura Pearlman
Same here. I don't need to rent all the much, buy whenever there was choice, I picked Hertz and, yes, paid a little more. I was saving up my points for a nice holiday on a Canadian island.

The devaluation hit Canada as well, not just the US.

I currently have one rental booked. Tomorrow, I'll go back to Autoslash and pick a cheaper brand than Hertz.

I understand that programs change and prices rise. But how they did this is awful.

Last edited by sokolov; Jun 16, 2019 at 4:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.