Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Rewards May 2019 USA Redemption Devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Rewards May 2019 USA Redemption Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 1:22 pm

How much value from other parts of the program? What parts? Don't the premium brands realize that significant aspects of the customer experience have been copied by almost all the discount brands? There's no longer a monopoly on choosing your car, getting a free upgrade coupon, or negotiating a company or association discount. The one thing that seems to still be a potential differentiator is rewards, if customers can get good value from them.
jason8612, Silver Fox and m907 like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Had PC a few years back and determined the Hertz experience inferior to Avis and worthless versus National. 122 YTD days with National, so it's not like I don't rent cars. Redeeming Hertz points has never worked for me. They pile on cash fees that you do not see with National. Plus, they begin the redemption with a higher base rate that makes the entire rental not worth spending points. Of course, now I cannot squeeze a "free" week out of the remaining points. Oh well.....on my list of things to cry about, this doesn't even register.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

The Daily Deals promotion was updated to reflect the devaluation. However, redeeming e-rewards currency apparently was not. $130 in survey points still equates to 1,100 Gold Points, when the equivalent one-way award is now 400 points higher.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hedoman
Had PC a few years back and determined the Hertz experience inferior to Avis and worthless versus National. 122 YTD days with National, so it's not like I don't rent cars. Redeeming Hertz points has never worked for me. They pile on cash fees that you do not see with National. Plus, they begin the redemption with a higher base rate that makes the entire rental not worth spending points. Of course, now I cannot squeeze a "free" week out of the remaining points. Oh well.....on my list of things to cry about, this doesn't even register.
I haven't had any fees added to award rentals. If I do a 1 day rental using points, the price I pay for the rental is zero. Book using rates that include CDW or LDW and can get the rental wll coverage free of charge

If the base rate is higher, does it matter if that will be reduced to zero by use of the points?
Old May 24, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL
Update to cancellation terms

It looks like the cancellation policy also changed with the devaluation. I've redeemed three awards in the last 12 months, and there was no cancellation penalty for those reservations (as a Gold member). The cancellation terms now say the following:

"If a reservation which was booked with points is cancelled within 24 hours of booking, all points will be returned to the members account. If a reservation which was booked using points is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time the following points will be forfeited: If a Gold member, 50% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a Five Star member, 25% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a President’s Circle member, all points will be returned to the members account."
Old May 24, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by jaw20
It looks like the cancellation policy also changed with the devaluation. I've redeemed three awards in the last 12 months, and there was no cancellation penalty for those reservations (as a Gold member). The cancellation terms now say the following:

"If a reservation which was booked with points is cancelled within 24 hours of booking, all points will be returned to the members account. If a reservation which was booked using points is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time the following points will be forfeited: If a Gold member, 50% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a Five Star member, 25% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a President’s Circle member, all points will be returned to the members account."
So it sounds like there's no cancellation penalty if you cancel the day of the reservation? Seems odd.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow pretty horrible. I have held off redeeming as I have been fortunate to find $30/day rates for many weekend rentals. But I guess it is time to cash in
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by m907
So it sounds like there's no cancellation penalty if you cancel the day of the reservation? Seems odd.
Cancel within 1 day of booking - no penalty
Cancel > 24 hours of booking but within 24 hours of pick up time 50%/25%/0% penalty

It seems implied that within 24 hours of pick up time, no refund rather than that there is no penalty

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 25, 2019 at 1:55 am
Old May 25, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I'm almost exclusively National but discovered I have some Hertz points that are now useless. Have a few rentals with them coming up -- what's best earning option? I have PC (matched from National), but minimal use for Hertz points, especially now. Virgin Atlantic seems like a good option per some suggestions? Any others that let me use the CDP/PC of my choice?
Old May 25, 2019, 2:35 pm

For those thinking of moving their reservations to National, keep in mind 2 things:

1) This situation seems very similar to what happened when Delta went from miles to essentially points. Everyone who could switched their loyalty to American. American was happy to benefit, until they, too, transformed to a revenue-based system a year later. Now, many people make flight purchases based almost entirely on cost.

2) In another thread, it was mentioned that Enterprise is thinking about getting rid of National free days based on number of rentals, and substituting a points system, across all 3 brands. As usual, earn based on how much you spend, redeem based on how much it costs, means you'll never get good value, so don't bother paying anything extra than the lowest competitor. With Hertz's rewards system becoming nearly useless, and Avis' already there, it wouldn't surprise me if National becomes like American: short term opportunist. Tell me at this time next year who you primarily rent from, if anyone.
randix, Gammur and manually like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Cancel within 1 day of booking - no penalty
Cancel > 24 hours of booking but within 24 hours of pick up time 50%/25%/0% penalty

It seems implied that within 24 hours of pick up time, no refund rather than that there is no penalty
Looks like a loophole to me.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
For those thinking of moving their reservations to National, keep in mind 2 things:

1) This situation seems very similar to what happened when Delta went from miles to essentially points. Everyone who could switched their loyalty to American. American was happy to benefit, until they, too, transformed to a revenue-based system a year later. Now, many people make flight purchases based almost entirely on cost.

2) In another thread, it was mentioned that Enterprise is thinking about getting rid of National free days based on number of rentals, and substituting a points system, across all 3 brands. As usual, earn based on how much you spend, redeem based on how much it costs, means you'll never get good value, so don't bother paying anything extra than the lowest competitor. With Hertz's rewards system becoming nearly useless, and Avis' already there, it wouldn't surprise me if National becomes like American: short term opportunist. Tell me at this time next year who you primarily rent from, if anyone.
​​​​​​
I'd probably still rent primarily from National because of the better cars but any change to their rewards system would be a huge loss. At airports with both a National EA and Hertz UC I often make reservations at both and go with whichever has the better cars assuming price is comparable. When car selection is basically the same I go with National because of rewards. I'd probably split it up more if National changed.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by m907
Looks like a loophole to me.
It doesn't look like a loophole - the site seems to be listing what will be retuned - that it is listing nothing being returned with 24 hours of reservation time seems to imply that there is no refund then
Old May 26, 2019, 9:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
This explains everything. I was able to snag an award at LGA a few weeks ago for 550 points. Since then, all I am being offered is the ridiculous discounts. I hope when I reach 750 points I can get another weekend award.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It doesn't look like a loophole - the site seems to be listing what will be retuned - that it is listing nothing being returned with 24 hours of reservation time seems to imply that there is no refund then
That's been the policy for some time - no refund on points reservations if you don't cancel at least 24 hours before pickup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.