Late return on weekly rental

Old May 17, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Late return on weekly rental

I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything so sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else.

What happens if I return a car late on a weekly rate but I'm only renting for less than a week. For instance, I book a 5 day rental that uses a weekly rate. I return the car 12 hours late so it's effectively a 6 day rental but still less than the weekly rate. Will I only be charged for the increase in daily surcharges or will I be charged for another day even though I've had it for the less than the weekly rate that I paid for?
Old May 17, 19, 2:04 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Typically you'd pay the same thing for 5 days as you would for 5.5 days. If you keep the car into a 6th day without notifying the rental company, you may be liable for a $10-$25 late return fee. Also note that while you'll still be charged the same weekly time and mileage rate, you will have to pay any additional fees that are charged per day. For example, if you originally reserved for 5 days and there is a $3.50/day facility charge, and then you keep the rental for a 6th day, you'll likely pay an additional $3.50 fo the extra day (plus tax).

You may find this article from our blog helpful.
Old May 18, 19, 3:34 am

I'm not sure I understand the question, but once I had a car reserved for 6 days and my flight got canceled. I went back to the Hertz counter and they just reopened the contract and gave me the car back since I had already paid for the week. So just make your reservation 6 days if you need 5 1/2.
Old May 18, 19, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you return later than the agreed time, the location can charge extra based on extra hour/day depending on the contract

If you think that you will want to return it late, then I would suggest either boolking it to return later or phone reservations amd extemd it once you know for certain that you do
jason8612 likes this.
Old May 18, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you return later than the agreed time, the location can charge extra based on extra hour/day depending on the contract

If you think that you will want to return it late, then I would suggest either boolking it to return later or phone reservations amd extemd it once you know for certain that you do
I have never had that issue. I just rented a few months ago, similar I had rented for 6 days, but my flight was delayed by 5 hours. I called hertz and let them know. They extended without issue. I did, however, have to pay for the extra day facility charge of $7.50.
Old May 18, 19, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manually View Post
I have never had that issue. I just rented a few months ago, similar I had rented for 6 days, but my flight was delayed by 5 hours. I called hertz and let them know. They extended without issue. I did, however, have to pay for the extra day facility charge of $7.50.
Sounds like you did have that issue , did what I suggested in my post and so didn't get late return fees
Old May 18, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Sounds like you did have that issue , did what I suggested in my post and so didn't get late return fees
It was not a late return fee, it was a extra day for the facility charge. Originally only had 6 days facility charge, because it was into the 7th day, I was charged the facility charge for the extra day.
Old May 18, 19, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was not a late return fee, it was a extra day for the facility charge. Originally only had 6 days facility charge, because it was into the 7th day, I was charged the facility charge for the extra day.
Wasn't that the point of my suggestion - you contacted Hertz up front and change the rental period to reflect the actual period and so there was no late return fee - if already paid a rate that would allow keeping the car for the week, then no additional base rental cost

Just turn up 6 hours late with the care and will get charged the late fee penalty of up to 1 day additional cost
m907 likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Just turn up 6 hours late with the care and will get charged the late fee penalty of up to 1 day additional cost
The late fee only applies if you return more than 12 hours late (and without notifying them in advance), so for 6 hours late it would not be payable.
​​​​​​
I did, however, have to pay for the extra day facility charge of $7.50.
Yeah, this can be a bit of a trap. In general even if you're only late enough to be charged 1 hour extra (so basically 30-89 minutes late given the 29 minute grace period) you'll still be hit with the full per-day rate for any daily fees, including airport/etc fees.
Old May 24, 19, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
The late fee only applies if you return more than 12 hours late (and without notifying them in advance), so for 6 hours late it would not be payable.
​​​​​​
By late fee penalty - I meant the extra charges for being late ( such as extra hour charge / extra day charge ) - not for other penalties

Search this Thread