Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz HLE vs Airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by themicah
When you swap they print you a new contract identifying the correct car, but don't charge you anything extra. If they're busy and you're just being picky because you want a sunroof or something, they might tell you to take a hike. But if they have a car in the right class and you have a valid reason for wanting/needing to swap (wrong car class, something wrong with the car, etc.), they'll usually make it happen if they have the inventory. For example I arrived at FLL during spring break a couple years ago and the only minivan they had for my FLL-TPA roadtrip was a base model Sienna with 55k miles, the smell of stale cigarettes, a broken power door, and a missing fog light. I took it since i had no choice but arranged to swap it at RSW (which is right off the highway between FLL and TPA), where they gave me a brand new fully-loaded Pacifica.
I have had a lemon rental car twice. Once at Hobby (HOU) where I turned around and went right back to the airport to turn in a car with a clearly bad transmission.

Another time, in Seattle, where I had rented from a Hertz Local Edition (HLE) about two miles from SeaTac the Hertz 800 number told me I could not turn in a clearly troubled car (it was smoking) on airport. I would pay a hefty one way penalty for altering the return location, they said.

I took from the earlier comments that posters were suggesting you could just go to an airport location, say you didn't like your rental from an HLE and go to the airport to swap for a wider selection at a lower rate (HLE vs airport).
Old May 24, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by LAHertz
Is there a good way to check which locations allow this? We are likely going to need to rent an SUV or minivan, so this could be a problem.
You can try calling the HLE and the airport and asking what their policies are. Minivans usually don't cause problems for underage policies but SUVs do.

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
No, because the inventory levels at each location wouldn't change, just the car.
It would matter if the HLE is a franchise.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:59 am

Very few Hertz locations are franchises these days. Almost all are corporate, per the location information website section. Exceptions tend to be in some rural areas.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast

Very few Hertz locations are franchises these days. Almost all are corporate, per the location information website section. Exceptions tend to be in some rural areas.
If you only go to major cities, yes they are mostly corporate, but there are still plenty of small towns with franchises. And Overland West's franchises basically encompass an entire swath of the Rockies (most if not all locations in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, parts of Utah, maybe more).
Old May 25, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your amazing replies! This has been a huge help. With that being said, does anyone have any input on the HLE in Anaheim at 221 W Katella Ave.? Right now the HLE is $330 less than the airport location, but has pretty bad reviews. What would happen if they didn't have my reservation? Would I pay a ton more to rent from Hertz on the day of if I was in this situation, or would they try to help me find another location with a car? Thanks!
Old May 26, 2019, 1:08 am

Thanks to everyone for your amazing replies! This has been a huge help. With that being said, does anyone have any input on the HLE in Anaheim at 221 W Katella Ave.? Right now the HLE is $330 less than the airport location, but has pretty bad reviews. What would happen if they didn't have my reservation? Would I pay a ton more to rent from Hertz on the day of if I was in this situation, or would they try to help me find another location with a car? Thanks!
Rental car locations usually have bad reviews because dumb people who don't understand policies go there to complain. I wouldn't worry too much about that. To me, $330 savings is definitely worth renting at the HLE, but I'd call to ask about their underage policies.
klanfa likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
Rental car locations usually have bad reviews because dumb people who don't understand policies go there to complain. I wouldn't worry too much about that. To me, $330 savings is definitely worth renting at the HLE, but I'd call to ask about their underage policies.
Quick question, what would the likely recourse be if they did not have a car that I reserved? Do HLEs typically help you find another location that would honor it?

Also, do you mean underage depending on which car class I can rent, or if they honor the AAA fee waiver altogether?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:16 am

AAA waiver should really be honored by any location, as it's public and quite clear. as long as you have the AAA card I wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:35 am

Quick question, what would the likely recourse be if they did not have a car that I reserved? Do HLEs typically help you find another location that would honor it?

Also, do you mean underage depending on which car class I can rent, or if they honor the AAA fee waiver altogether?
They would probably give you something larger. I once reserved a midsize and got a pickup truck because that was all they had. You could ask them to arrange an exchange at the airport.

Regarding AAA, I'm referring to whether they'll let you rent anything larger than a sedan.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I usually have no problems or issues whenever I rent from a Hertz Local Edition — and when a problem or issue arose, it was always resolved to my satisfaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.