Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do I know what model cars are in what group (for Hertz UK booking)?

Old May 1, 19, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(

I've booked an Audi A3 or similar (in the UK). Group O (Compact Elite) I believe. How can I find out what alternative cars I might get in that group?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 1, 19 at 2:56 pm Reason: added details to thread title
Old May 4, 19, 11:16 pm

Possibly a small Volvo, but in truth there's no real way to know. Hertz in the UK has a wide and constantly changing variety of models on the fleet.
Old May 5, 19, 11:17 am

We already have a sticky thread on this topic.
Old May 6, 19, 11:42 pm

The sticky covers US airports. This query was Heathrow.
Old May 7, 19, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs View Post
The sticky covers US airports. This query was Heathrow.
Actually the query seems to be UK in general ; cannot see any mention of Heathrow
Old May 7, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

I didn't realise it would vary from place to place within a country. The actual pick up location is Gatwick.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: QF
I made a reservation early this year to pick up a car from Glasgow Airport in July. The original reservation was for a Volvo V40 or similar. The booking has now changed to a Skoda Octavia or similar. Skoda is not a common brand here in Australia and I've never seen a Skoda Octavia. Are they comparable to a Volvo V40?
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:56 pm

It'll have a much larger and more usable boot/trunk compared to the Volvo. Whilst the seats won't be as comfy as the V40, the Octavia is actually a perfectly pleasant place to sit for a roadtrip. Think of it as a Holden Commodore size basically. Interior quality will be slightly below usual VW standard, but better than a Toyota. Ish.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bjam99 View Post
Interior quality will be slightly below usual VW standard, but better than a Toyota. Ish.
Actually I don't agree with that. I don't drive or own one, but I did drive a hired Octavia for a couple of months and I think the quality is right up there with VWs.

To the OP, as mentioned the Octavia is a far more practical car than the aV40, with a huge amount of space inside, and a ridiculously large boot/trunk.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:29 pm

The Octavia is a good car. Roomy. Well built. The downside is that the entry level specification is fairly mean by 2019 standards. For example, it doesn't have cruise control.
That said. Hertz in the UK has an enormous variety in the fleet - I never get the 'example' model, so don't assume you'll actually be allocated an Octavia.
Old Jun 18, 19, 1:10 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by weegraeme View Post
I made a reservation early this year to pick up a car from Glasgow Airport in July. The original reservation was for a Volvo V40 or similar. The booking has now changed to a Skoda Octavia or similar. Skoda is not a common brand here in Australia and I've never seen a Skoda Octavia. Are they comparable to a Volvo V40?
Where do you live? They are quite common in Canberra... I had a look at the Octavia wagon last year when shopping for a new car... looked quite comparable to the Golf...with more space...
Old Jun 18, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Actually I don't agree with that. I don't drive or own one, but I did drive a hired Octavia for a couple of months and I think the quality is right up there with VWs.

To the OP, as mentioned the Octavia is a far more practical car than the aV40, with a huge amount of space inside, and a ridiculously large boot/trunk.
Thanks. And thank you to each of you for your replies.

There are pros and cons to it then. We will have a few cases, so that'll be a plus. But one of the reasons I chose the V40 was that one of the travellers is not very comfortable driving larger vehicles. The V40 was already a compromise compared to her own car.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:37 pm

How many of you and how many cases? What type? Squashable holdalls or hard shell cases? The boot on the V40 is not very large - OK with squashable bags but you'll not get lots of hard shell cases in there.
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:25 am
Original Poster

OP here. I got an upgrade to a Mercedes GLC SUV. I know it's kind of them to upgrade me (and I could see from their paperwork it was an upgrade because I have an Amex Plat) but TBH I would rather have had the smaller A3. Getting the luggage in might have been an issue though; it was a struggle in the Mercedes!
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
OP here
We know that. It says it in bold on under your FT handle... ;-)

If you didn't want the upgrade (not sure why) you could probably have asked for something smaller.

Search this Thread