FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   How do I know what model cars are in what group (for Hertz UK booking)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1967736-how-do-i-know-what-model-cars-what-group-hertz-uk-booking.html)

louie-m May 1, 2019 3:36 am

How do I know what model cars are in what group (for Hertz UK booking)?

I've booked an Audi A3 or similar (in the UK). Group O (Compact Elite) I believe. How can I find out what alternative cars I might get in that group?

rcspeirs May 4, 2019 11:16 pm

Possibly a small Volvo, but in truth there's no real way to know. Hertz in the UK has a wide and constantly changing variety of models on the fleet.

Auto Enthusiast May 5, 2019 11:17 am

We already have a sticky thread on this topic.

rcspeirs May 6, 2019 11:42 pm

The sticky covers US airports. This query was Heathrow.

Dave Noble May 7, 2019 6:21 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 31074770)
The sticky covers US airports. This query was Heathrow.

Actually the query seems to be UK in general ; cannot see any mention of Heathrow

louie-m May 7, 2019 6:35 am

I didn't realise it would vary from place to place within a country. The actual pick up location is Gatwick.

weegraeme Jun 17, 2019 7:50 am

I made a reservation early this year to pick up a car from Glasgow Airport in July. The original reservation was for a Volvo V40 or similar. The booking has now changed to a Skoda Octavia or similar. Skoda is not a common brand here in Australia and I've never seen a Skoda Octavia. Are they comparable to a Volvo V40?

Bjam99 Jun 17, 2019 1:56 pm

It'll have a much larger and more usable boot/trunk compared to the Volvo. Whilst the seats won't be as comfy as the V40, the Octavia is actually a perfectly pleasant place to sit for a roadtrip. Think of it as a Holden Commodore size basically. Interior quality will be slightly below usual VW standard, but better than a Toyota. Ish.

clubman Jun 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bjam99 (Post 31212267)
Interior quality will be slightly below usual VW standard, but better than a Toyota. Ish.

Actually I don't agree with that. I don't drive or own one, but I did drive a hired Octavia for a couple of months and I think the quality is right up there with VWs.

To the OP, as mentioned the Octavia is a far more practical car than the aV40, with a huge amount of space inside, and a ridiculously large boot/trunk.

rcspeirs Jun 17, 2019 11:29 pm

The Octavia is a good car. Roomy. Well built. The downside is that the entry level specification is fairly mean by 2019 standards. For example, it doesn't have cruise control.
That said. Hertz in the UK has an enormous variety in the fleet - I never get the 'example' model, so don't assume you'll actually be allocated an Octavia.

trooper Jun 18, 2019 1:10 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme (Post 31210970)
I made a reservation early this year to pick up a car from Glasgow Airport in July. The original reservation was for a Volvo V40 or similar. The booking has now changed to a Skoda Octavia or similar. Skoda is not a common brand here in Australia and I've never seen a Skoda Octavia. Are they comparable to a Volvo V40?

Where do you live? They are quite common in Canberra... I had a look at the Octavia wagon last year when shopping for a new car... looked quite comparable to the Golf...with more space...

weegraeme Jun 18, 2019 1:25 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 31213579)
Actually I don't agree with that. I don't drive or own one, but I did drive a hired Octavia for a couple of months and I think the quality is right up there with VWs.

To the OP, as mentioned the Octavia is a far more practical car than the aV40, with a huge amount of space inside, and a ridiculously large boot/trunk.

Thanks. And thank you to each of you for your replies.

There are pros and cons to it then. We will have a few cases, so that'll be a plus. But one of the reasons I chose the V40 was that one of the travellers is not very comfortable driving larger vehicles. The V40 was already a compromise compared to her own car.

rcspeirs Jun 20, 2019 11:37 pm

How many of you and how many cases? What type? Squashable holdalls or hard shell cases? The boot on the V40 is not very large - OK with squashable bags but you'll not get lots of hard shell cases in there.

louie-m Jun 24, 2019 2:25 am

OP here. I got an upgrade to a Mercedes GLC SUV. I know it's kind of them to upgrade me (and I could see from their paperwork it was an upgrade because I have an Amex Plat) but TBH I would rather have had the smaller A3. Getting the luggage in might have been an issue though; it was a struggle in the Mercedes!

clubman Jun 24, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by louie-m (Post 31233446)
OP here

We know that. It says it in bold on under your FT handle... ;-)

If you didn't want the upgrade (not sure why) you could probably have asked for something smaller.