Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at JAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at JAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Herb687
For the BMW F22/F87 2 Series I have seen 45 lbs quoted. It's not just the weight. It's more the fact that the additional weight is at the worst possible place on the car. Even the pro-sunroof poster I was quoting acknowledges that sunroofs have a negative impact on center of gravity.
"Pro-sunroof" here and this is all out of context and missing my actual point, which indeed had to do with rental cars and Hertz UC, if not specifically Hertz JAX. That point is: For rental cars, (almost) nobody cares about that minimal weight/COG advantage.

Closer to topic: I've never seen a BMW 2er at Hertz JAX nor any Hertz/National/Avis lot. Additionally, at the trim level selected for most "luxury" brands on rental car lots, that 45 lbs is virtually unnoticeable. We might as well say that we shouldn't travel with suitcases because the extra 30 lbs in the trunk will throw extra body roll into the mid-trim Nissan Altima likely to be on the JAX lot.

Further back on-topic: As some of my earlier posts reflect, my experiences at Hertz JAX have been abysmal and the need to use counter service there is one of the primary reasons why. At least with UC, I can just wander down the aisle and pick a car with/without a sunroof/moonroof, or a certain color, or whatever my preference is that day. I do seem to find that many, many rental cars simply have no moonroof at all lately.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Walked thru the garage after landing in the evening this past Wednesday. Noticed the two Porsche Macans, several QX60s suvs, Q50 sedans Camaro SS, Mustang, Expedition, and several 12 passenger vans.

any idea why some vehicles are parked facing the center line while others are facing the wall?

JAX Hertz Oct 2020
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:32 am

JAX is not a UC location, so the vehicles facing the wall are probably dirty/returns.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:31 pm

That makes sense. A lot more reasonable than my first guess of all the ones point towards the wall being employee’s personal vehicles lol
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:45 pm

Adding as a data point. Had a relative, who's PC, in town last weekend. Was sold out for Friday night. She went back on Saturday for a one day rental. Was upgraded to an older 5series BMW. Believe it had out of state tag. No idea on mileage.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:35 pm

Was walking down the middle of the JAX garage last night, towards the overnight garage parking, and could have sworn that I saw a Ford Bronco. Did they recently add Broncos to the fleet? Don't recall if it had a sticker on the door to indicate if it was a rental or a personal employees vehicle. Was facing inwards as opposed to the aisle FWIW.

For the most part, the garage was pretty full and vanilla. Several Tahoes, Mustangs, Infiniti QX60, two-four door Jeep Wranglers, etc.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by ChevyCruze; Aug 9, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Was walking down the middle of the JAX garage last night, towards the overnight garage parking, and could have sworn that I saw a Ford Bronco. Did they recently add Broncos to the fleet? Don't recall if it had a sticker on the door to indicate if it was a rental or a personal employees vehicle. Was facing inwards as opposed to the aisle FWIW..
Bronco or a Bronco Sport? I know the Bronco Sports have shown up in rental fleets already but a non sport Bronco would be something new.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Bronco or a Bronco Sport? I know the Bronco Sports have shown up in rental fleets already but a non sport Bronco would be something new.
Was probably a Bronco Sport after looking thru a few pictures of both online. Was kind of a smaller body style.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:41 pm

I wonder why such a new, popular, and expensive, Bronco, of any size or trim, is already in rental fleets.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:09 pm

Data point 6pm 8/23/21
Was walking thru on my way to the daily garage.. Below are a few models that I noticed amongst a rather full mediocre selection:

Inifiniti QX50
2x Infinit QX80
Jaguar F Pace
Jeep 4dr soft top
Mazda CX3
12 passenger van (don't remember the mfg)
couple of 2021 and older GMC Yukon XLs parked further back by the daily garage elevator bank
blairvanhorn and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:54 pm

3/11 1000 - pretty full house. Wasn't expecting to have to go to the desk first, no Gold Choice etc here. Line was short, no delay. Reserved "premium", PC, received Genesis G70 (G), basic car with no apparent options other than paint color, but these come fairly well equipped, so it had multiple drivers assists etc. 5K miles, working Sirius/XM. Rental was on points, so I was happy with it, drove nicely with no signs of abuse. Also snapped a few pics of the garage - was a bit tired coming off a long 2 layover redeye, so excuse the image quality (also several people walking around, didn't want to look too weird). Noticed another G70, and upon return, a G80. Macan, Alfa, and BMW maybe the exotics, Pilot was also unexpected, otherwise, pretty normal stuff, but no apparent shortage of cars.

Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ww88ww
3/11 1000 - pretty full house. Wasn't expecting to have to go to the desk first, no Gold Choice etc here. Line was short, no delay. Reserved "premium", PC, received Genesis G70 (G), basic car with no apparent options other than paint color, but these come fairly well equipped, so it had multiple drivers assists etc. 5K miles, working Sirius/XM. Rental was on points, so I was happy with it, drove nicely with no signs of abuse. Also snapped a few pics of the garage - was a bit tired coming off a long 2 layover redeye, so excuse the image quality (also several people walking around, didn't want to look too weird). Noticed another G70, and upon return, a G80. Macan, Alfa, and BMW maybe the exotics, Pilot was also unexpected, otherwise, pretty normal stuff, but no apparent shortage of cars.

Is Hyundai/Kia/Genesis ever going to learn how to hide their grill RADARs like every other manufacturer somehow finds a reasonable way to do it.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:00 pm

Lot today was fairly well stocked. As a PC, I received a Chevy Traverse with under 10k miles. Other cars in the row had dealer decals or plate frames, indicating they were likely bought as used cars. The Avis aisle across from us had a Hummer (yes, the old H3).
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Lot today was fairly well stocked. As a PC, I received a Chevy Traverse with under 10k miles. Other cars in the row had dealer decals or plate frames, indicating they were likely bought as used cars. The Avis aisle across from us had a Hummer (yes, the old H3).
Can guarantee that all these strange cars appeared in aisle are not for rental but some other people just parked those in there (usually will be shooed away soon)
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corolla
Can guarantee that all these strange cars appeared in aisle are not for rental but some other people just parked those in there (usually will be shooed away soon)
Nope. I have a Hertz rental right now in IND. Has a dealer promo plate on the front from some dealer in IL, but a FL plate on the back. Heck, it even has an expired parking permit sticker for someplace on the passenger side of the windshield.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.