Access Pass Thru Fees - IAH

Old Apr 19, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Access Pass Thru Fees - IAH

I just got off the phone with a Hertz representative because I had a $4.99 bill on my rental record for "ACCESS PASS THRU FEES." After looking through her info, she informed me that the charge is basically "a tax for the bus to take you to and from the rental car center as a cost recovery method." I don't know about you guys, but my butt shouldn't cost $5 to go 3 miles round trip. The representative did remove the fee this time, but I just wanted to warn others.

As a note, the fee did not show up on my initial rental agreement, but only on my final bill.

Has anyone else seen this fee anywhere else? If I was Hertz, I'd be embarrassed to be charging customers for a short bus trip. Especially with thousands of people going through IAH a day.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tfmeh View Post
Has anyone else seen this fee anywhere else?
Many locations have similar charges. There is nothing to be alerted, except that the fee should be disclosed up front.
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I haven't been happy about paying for the TD Garden in Boston for the last 20 years, either, but local taxing authorities wanted it that way. $10 per rental. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...ion-surcharge-
Old Apr 20, 19, 6:37 am

It's $20 for the SFO Air Train.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the fee was disclosed at the time of the reservation/rental, then OP is simply lucky and received a customer gesture. If it was not, whether the fee is legitimate or not, Hertz should have eaten it as it did.

What OP and many others miss is that local airport authorities levy all manner of fees on rental agencies. One of those is the fee for operating a shuttle bus. It is disproportionate because it is a way for the airport authority to generate revenue.

This is no different than "rental concession fees" which are essentially a fee imposed on the rental agency for each rental processed at the airport.

I am not a fan of these, but I am also not sure what the better plan is short of raising landing fees and thus airfares.
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by BigJC View Post
And the thing that really annoys me about AirTrain is that they also charge you a couple bucks more to use it than if you go to beyond the airport to the next stop, Millbrae. Hello, you're supposed to encourage people to take public transit to the airport
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
And the thing that really annoys me about AirTrain is that they also charge you a couple bucks more to use it than if you go to beyond the airport to the next stop, Millbrae. Hello, you're supposed to encourage people to take public transit to the airport
SFO AirTrain and BART are 2 separate systems. SFO AirTrain is operated exclusively within the airport, while BART serves many areas within the Bay Area, including SFO.

In no instance your car rental surcharge actually fund BART.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by BigJC View Post
$19. It dropped from $20 a few years ago.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
In no instance your car rental surcharge actually fund BART.
Whilst technically true, the rental car surcharge does fund the airtrain taking passengers from the terminals to the BART station (and between terminals), so in some sense you are...

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
As garykung has said, BART and AirTrain are different things, but for completeness...

The reason for the price difference you refer to is because the BART fare from SFO to Millbrae (and only Millbrae) is actually $0. This is for historic reasons due to their previously being a free bus between those two locations at the time the BART airport link was put in. This exception only applies to Millbrae, so BART between SFO and any other station has a standard fare just like any other pair of stations.

But that was before they added an airport fee to BART, which seems to increase every few years. This fee is now $5.05 for all trips to/from the airport. As a result, Millbrae to/from SFO is now $0 (fare) + $5.05 (airport fee) for a total of $5.05. San Bruno to SFO is $3.30 + $5.05 = $8.35. For comparison, Millbrae to San Bruno is $3.80 - slightly above the $3.30 fare for San Bruno/Millbrae, which makes sense as it's a slightly longer distance.

So it's not really that they are ripping you off for going beyond Millbrae, it's that you're getting a "good deal" to go to Millbrae, as the trip is (in some very warped version of the word) "free".
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
​​​Whilst technically true, the rental car surcharge does fund the airtrain taking passengers from the terminals to the BART station (and between terminals), so in some sense you are...
You will be surprised what I found out.

Based on the SFO's budget, not only BART did not receive a dime from SFO, BART has to pay the rent for its facility (Yes - the station is leased). And the budget indeed confirms that SFO pockets all the surcharges.

Search this Thread