Pc at lax..refused to let take vehicle

Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Pc at lax..refused to let take vehicle

Just thought I'd vent on here.. Had a booking at lax on Saturday Went to pc section to see what they had and there was a lovely new jaguar xf. Hop in it and went to the gate. Was told this was an upgrade vehicle. I explained it wasn't parked in the upgrade section and that it was in the pc section. The worker shrugged and said 'no sir its an upgrade vehicle' . I said it wasn't parked there. She said well if you take it you will just be charged.

Annoyingly I had to take it back to lot and pick something else. Very annoying
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
This happened to me at YYZ but I took a photo of the vehicle clearly sitting in the PC Aisle and they let me take it. I agree it is upsetting and while such mistakes do occur they should have let it go. I would ask to speak to the manager on duty when you return your current rental and hopefully they can at least give you a voucher to compensate you.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Let it go.

This is not a big deal. Ultimately, you got the vehicle you paid for.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I never realized that one should take a picture of the car you want sitting in the PC ultimate area. Good idea.
1P, TravelLawyer, SFO777 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I never realized that one should take a picture of the car you want sitting in the PC ultimate area. Good idea.
You can still take the car from another section, park it in the PC isle and take a picture so this proves nothing.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Aren’t the paid upgrades supposed to have placards indicating the upgrade price?

Sure, sure, you can take down and hide the placard, then drive the car to the PC lot and take a picture of it... but how about giving your customer the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming an adversarial position?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by strickerj
Aren’t the paid upgrades supposed to have placards indicating the upgrade price?

Sure, sure, you can take down and hide the placard, then drive the car to the PC lot and take a picture of it... but how about giving your customer the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming an adversarial position?
But not give an employee the benefit of the doubt in parking an expensive new Jaguar in the wrong place?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by strickerj

Considering the behaviour of many customers now, a prudent disciplined approach is reasonable.
And who are we kidding here? It's obvious it wasn't the class of vehicle available as per the rental agreement. It's no different than an instore pricing error. Retailer advertises the goods at $100; sale contract is effected at $100, but when the customer goes to pick up the item at the store, the price tag says $10. Does one really expect that the customer should get the item for $10?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Finding a Jaguar XF in the President's Circle section of an Ultimate Choice lot is not an impossible unicorn sighting.

Originally Posted by Often1
In my experience, the impact of the Hertz staff improperly parking a reserved car in a stall in the PC section of Ultimate Choice was having to return the car back to the PC section (after waiting in the queue to exit the lot), unpacking my bags and removing my personal GPS, and finding another (and lesser) car in PC and having to wait in the queue again. I'd say I was delayed at least 15 minutes and was late in meeting someone as a result. It was very frustrating to have been delayed through no fault of my own and knowing that there were other, superior cars that I could have legitimately selected that I passed up. I didn't file a complaint, but I certainly put negative remarks into the post-rental survey.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 17, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Considering the behaviour of many customers now, a prudent disciplined approach is reasonable.
And who are we kidding here? It's obvious it wasn't the class of vehicle available as per the rental agreement. It's no different than an instore pricing error. Retailer advertises the goods at $100; sale contract is effected at $100, but when the customer goes to pick up the item at the store, the price tag says $10. Does one really expect that the customer should get the item for $10?
I suppose it depends on the extent of the mistake. A $100 item for $10 is clearly an error, but for $50 or so, it might just be a good deal. I’d consider a Jaguar XF in the PC lot to be more like the latter - not common, but not so outlandish as to obviously be a mistake. Perhaps if they’re going to be so distrusting of their customers, they shouldn’t have implemented a take-whatever’s-on-the-lot system.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by strickerj; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:25 pm Reason: clarify analogy
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Let it go.
Nothing on FT is a big deal. I presume you never mind not getting upgrades? You get what you paid for.

Originally Posted by maarten22
You can still take the car from another section, park it in the PC isle and take a picture so this proves nothing.
You can also take item B and return to the store where you bought item A for a full refund (they are the "same item" though not truly the same). The store will give you a refund. So, how else should they verify?
At the end of the day transactions depend on trust.

Ever heard of mistake fares?
Often stores will give you the marked price. How else are you to supposed to know the price? Nothing has an inherent worth/value.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
In Knoxville they didn't even have the Hertz Gold counter opened and when I trekked back inside and stood in line they wouldn't let me have the a Infiniti parked in a PC spot. In my example of this practice they didn't even try to pretend it was midparked they just refused.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:24 am

Actually here in California... retailers are required by law to honor the lowest in-store displayed price regardless of mistakes. I've even seen these little signs at registers saying so.

But yes, I agree with you.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
I found a Mercedes SLC300 in the 5* section at O'Hare recently and took it no problems (they didn't challenge - it was clearly an intentional thing). So it's easily possible you'd legitimately find a Jag in the PC section.
Ordpc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.