Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pc at lax..refused to let take vehicle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:12 am

what I have clear that if the error is hertz to assume, the client did not act with malice so there is nothing to object. Nothing would have happened because they gave him the car and I'm sure it did not happen again
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Nothing on FT is a big deal. I presume you never mind not getting upgrades? You get what you paid for.
I have no issue in getting what i pay for ; involuntary upgrades are a rare treat, but not expected

Originally Posted by s0ssos;
Ever heard of mistake fares?
Yes - there are plenty of cases where airlines simply refund and refuse to honour mistakes. A car was parked in the wrong place ; the person was never allowed to leave the car rental location with the car
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
At SFO, they actually have Jaguar XF's often in the PC area. They are nice cars, but missing a lot of features for a luxury car in my opinion.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have no issue in getting what i pay for ; involuntary upgrades are a rare treat, but not expected

Yes - there are plenty of cases where airlines simply refund and refuse to honour mistakes. A car was parked in the wrong place ; the person was never allowed to leave the car rental location with the car
How do you know the OP gets nice cars all the time? Maybe this was "the" rare treat.

How do you know the car was parked in the wrong place?
How do you know if a fare is a mistake? Is a $1500 business class fare a mistake? Who knows.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:55 pm

How do you know the OP gets nice cars all the time? Maybe this was "the" rare treat.

How do you know the car was parked in the wrong place?
How do you know if a fare is a mistake? Is a $1500 business class fare a mistake? Who knows.
Obviously this wasn't the rare treat , but simply a car placed in the wrong bay

Depends on what the route is as to whether it is a mistake. What matters is whether the airline decides whether it is a mistake and chooses not to honour it; it is the one that will know and it is the one that will decide whether to honour it
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Roona
Actually here in California... retailers are required by law to honor the lowest in-store displayed price regardless of mistakes. I've even seen these little signs at registers saying so.

But yes, I agree with you.
Those little signs have to do with settlements in California by county district attorney's and/or the AG of California against specific retailers such as Macy's, CVS or Ralphs.
Having an item or in this case a car placed in a space that it isn't supposed to be will not invoke any law that will force the retailer, or in this case Hertz, to honor them giving you the product (or car).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Anybody here also use National? Because I have seen National have nice cars in their executive selection. Like an Audi A4. It isn't a mistake.
But I guess for Hertz if you see a nice car it is?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:02 pm

Anybody here also use National? Because I have seen National have nice cars in their executive selection. Like an Audi A4. It isn't a mistake.
But I guess for Hertz if you see a nice car it is?
An A4 seems to be a lot cheaper than a Jaguar , so doesn't seem to be a reasonable comparison
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
What matters, generally, when it comes to honoring a "mistake," is whether a reasonable person would think it was a mistake. Running an ad offering a top-end 80" TV for $19.95 rather than $1995? Clear mistake. Pricing it at $1895 rather than $1995? Not an obvious error.

In this case, a reasonable person could certainly believe that the Jaguar XF was offered as part of the Ultimate Choice PC area - I've seen more expensive vehicles there on many occasions.

Had I been in this situation, I would have asked for a supervisor, and then said I'd wait there at the booth until they arrived. No reason for me to drive back to the PC area and then wait in line again.
strickerj, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
An A4 seems to be a lot cheaper than a Jaguar , so doesn't seem to be a reasonable comparison
Cost doesn't have anything to do with it. Take a large SUV. Very expensive. A BMW 3 series? Not so much.

We've all seen the Infiniti QX80, which starts at over $60k. BMW 3 series starts at $40k. Somehow a BMW is always a premium vehicle though.

If you are purely looking at "value" or "MSRP" then why are convertibles so expensive to rent?

Do you rent a lot? I do. And I'm sure you can ask the other people who rent a bit that cost of vehicle doesn't correlate with how expensive or "luxurious" it is perceived. German vehicles are usually charged at much higher rates than American vehicles.
Sometimes Enterprise has a Maserati. Ghibli is only $76k. Which is the same as a Cadillac Escalade.
How come the Escalade can be reserved normally, or gotten as an upgrade, whereas the Maserati never?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
@ s0ssos Not perhaps correct for USA but in UK 'Prices' are very misleading. On a Ford or Vauxhall (GM) you'll pay a much lower price than the quoted price, that will be much less true of a BMW or Mercedes, they're just not discounted to the same level.

As to the original point as a foreigner I wouldn't have a clue about the cost/position of a Jag in the USA. I have however experienced something like this when I arrived an found my name above a bay with a very nice brand new Dodge Durango in it. At the gate the agent said this wasn't my car, I pointed out it was in the named bay, she said OK she'd change the booking, I made it very clear I wasn't paying extra and did check the paperwork given to me. As it happens I had photographed it for the amusement factor of my name on a screen, I'd not seen that before with a rental. Whilst I suppose there could be two people with same name on that day, it seemed unlikely. Again I suppose I could have started to reposition cars in the garage to create the situation, but that would have been pretty extreme. I notice with short rentals, 1 to 2 days I often get what seem far better cars than I'd rented, with longer ones mostly what I've rented, well mostly something from the 'or similar' list.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:39 am

it is still a rental, so it's not like it's a sale where there could be more discussion. Hertz assumes the error and the client happy with his Jaguar. And the truth is in a business where everything is so diffuse at least for me, sometimes a luxury category is cheaper than a standard. I have a reserve of 13 days for May at LAX (Z4) and it has cost me $ 510, I have been following the reserve and I have seen it go up to $ 1200 and go back down to $ 500, not to mention the upgrades that Sometimes they give you a car two and even three categories above, as you take a garbage.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Had I been in this situation, I would have asked for a supervisor, and then said I'd wait there at the booth until they arrived. No reason for me to drive back to the PC area and then wait in line again.
This. If Hertz parks a car in the PC area I am going to assume that as a PC I am entitled to take it. That's the point of Ultimate Choice with PC status. Their employees' incompetence should not turn into my problem. Driving back to the lot and swapping all my belongings into a different car is unacceptable.

As many have pointed out, a Jaguar XF hardly approaches obvious mistake territory.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Evr13
it is still a rental, so it's not like it's a sale where there could be more discussion. Hertz assumes the error and the client happy with his Jaguar. And the truth is in a business where everything is so diffuse at least for me, sometimes a luxury category is cheaper than a standard. I have a reserve of 13 days for May at LAX (Z4) and it has cost me $ 510, I have been following the reserve and I have seen it go up to $ 1200 and go back down to $ 500, not to mention the upgrades that Sometimes they give you a car two and even three categories above, as you take a garbage.
An error occurred parking the vehicle ; no error occurred with the rental since the rental had not started at the time the mistake was discovered; the person was never allowed to start the rental

If the person was allowed to start the rental and then the location asked for it back since it was not supposed to have been rented, then I can see that as being different and at that point, that is the agency's issue and too late
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:23 am

What I mean is that it was a mistake or error on the part of Hertz that did not exceed a few days of rent, I do not think that anything would have happened to Hertz because the client had enjoyed the Jaguar for a few days.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 20, 2019 at 2:33 pm Reason: removed quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.