Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Excellent experience at HRL. I had a SCAR booked for 2030 PM. My flight from IAH arrived late, at 2126. The Hertz location closes at 2130. By the time I got off the plane and got to the counter it was 2135. The agent on duty stayed despite my reservation being the only one still outstanding. She had a 2023 Kia K5 with 4,900 miles ready to go for me.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:11 pm

PC @ Malta International Airport

Reserved: Economy (Hyundai i20 example car)
Received: Compact Crossover, Hyundai Bayon

I was pleasantly surprised, given that many smaller European Hertz locations don't recognize member status and aren't obligued to give upgrades. Anyway, after driving (on the left side of the road) a while on the narrow streets and tight corners of Malta I was beginning to think that a real upgrade would rather have been to get smaller car... Anyway, after a while I got the hang of it and enjoyed driving there!

If you ever go there, don't book a bigger car than you need and unless you're comfortable driving on the left side, ensure to book an automatic, I'm glad I did! Mind you, the biggest class Hertz has for rent there is Midsize and the example is Hyundai Tucson which is a compact crossover, you really don't want to drive anything bigger than that in Malta...
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:40 am
Suspended

fantastic rental experience in HAJ

Reserved: compact (CDMR)
Received: Mercedes Class C

The only bad surprise was a speeding ticket received directly from Höxter city hall a few weeks later at my home. So instead of being charged for the fine and administrative fees by Hertz, they gave my contact details directly to the authorities.
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by zerem
PC @ Malta International Airport

Reserved: Economy (Hyundai i20 example car)
Received: Compact Crossover, Hyundai Bayon

I was pleasantly surprised, given that many smaller European Hertz locations don't recognize member status and aren't obligued to give upgrades. Anyway, after driving (on the left side of the road) a while on the narrow streets and tight corners of Malta I was beginning to think that a real upgrade would rather have been to get smaller car... Anyway, after a while I got the hang of it and enjoyed driving there!

If you ever go there, don't book a bigger car than you need and unless you're comfortable driving on the left side, ensure to book an automatic, I'm glad I did! Mind you, the biggest class Hertz has for rent there is Midsize and the example is Hyundai Tucson which is a compact crossover, you really don't want to drive anything bigger than that in Malta...
I've been 'upgraded' in Europe quite a lot. Many people book the smallest/cheapest car, and they never have enough, so they "upgrade" you. But a lot of the times you really do want a tiny car! I usually politely push back and say it's a downgrade in experience (more fuel, more stressful to drive etc), but a lot of the time they just don't have the vehicles available
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
PC @ BGO

Booked Compact SUV CFAR. Received U class. Suzuki Across (Rav 4 basically). Not the easiest to manage on the narrower roads but overall a nice drive.

Nice Hybrid which had surprisingly long range when charged up. Averaging 5.5l per 100km in the fjords hilly and winding roads.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: National, Hertz
Credit to Hertz when they come through for a PC member! I'm burning my remaining points while my car is in the shop so I picked up from an HLE up the street from the shop. I got a notification from Amex that morning that the $200 hold had been authorized but didn't get an email with the contract ahead of time. When I arrived there was one employee vacuuming cars outside, and inside were 5 people waiting. Among their whispers it didn't seem like anybody had been helped yet, so queue my worry about how long this was going to take. A few minutes later the employee came inside, apologized for the wait, and asked for the next person. Then he stopped and called out my name to see if I was there, and proceeded to hand me the keys and a contract. He said he checked the car and didn't find any damage but to come back inside if there were any issues. As I was walking out I overheard one of the other customers asking why I got my car so fast and I couldn't help but chuckle thinking about the scene in Up In The Air when George Clooney cuts the line at Hilton.

I booked a G premium for 2 days and was given a brand new 2023 T4 Lincoln Nautilus with 2,000 miles and working Sirius XM. It was also cleaned, fully fueled, and parked ready to leave. Happy with the service this time; if only it could always be this way...
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:48 am

PC member at an HLE...60k mile beater. Why would I expect different?
Auto Enthusiast and oftech like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: F
Received: Q5 2019 Jeep Cherokee 2WD Latitude Plus with Florida plates and 54,000 miles on the odometer.

Expectations were low renting from a Manhattan location on a Sunday summer morning. Despite the high mileage, vehicle was in decent shape and I got pretty good mpg.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Received: Q5 2019 Jeep Cherokee 2WD Latitude Plus with Florida plates and 54,000 miles on the odometer.

Expectations were low renting from a Manhattan location on a Sunday summer morning. Despite the high mileage, vehicle was in decent shape and I got pretty good mpg.
I think I would have preferred a regular old F car over that. Glad it worked out though.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:59 am

A few PC data points from the recent European trips:

Florence train station - Via Borgo Ognissanti
Reserved: Group A MXMR, Fiat 500 or similar
Assigned: Fiat 500
Reminded about PC status/Visa Infinite, received Jeep Compass, Automatic

Naples train station - Piazza Garibaldi
Reserved: Group B EBMR, Fiat Panda or similar
Assigned: Citroen C3, Group C
Car had almost no fuel and lot attendants recognized PC status immediately (while a clerk at the station couldn't care less), so they proactively swapped it to a Lync&Co 01 crossover (group R5), automatic with all bells and whistles

Luxembourg Airport (LUX)
Reserved: Citroen C1, Group A
Received: Nissan Qashqai, Automatic
Super friendly and easy to deal with, one of the best rental counters experiences overall. Long walk to the lot.

Nantes Airport (NTE)
Reserved: Group A, Fiat 500 or similar
Assigned: Toyota Yaris, Group B
Pushed a little bit for a better upgrade, received Renault Captur, Group F, Automatic

Last edited by chipspb; Apr 15, 2024 at 9:06 am
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:39 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Received: Q4 2023 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD with Virginia plates and 19,200 miles on the odometer. Sirius/XM was enabled as well. The extra storage space came in handy for a weekend of running errands and buying groceries.
Old Today, 1:15 pm

Programs: National, Hertz
PC @ MHT

Reserved: C
Received: F7 '24 Subaru Forester Wilderness

If I'm honest I was dreading a last minute trip to MHT given that National was sold out and my prior experiences with Hertz. This time, though, things went off (mostly) without a hitch. Contract was ready ahead of time and I got keys and a space number after showing my DL. Was given a nice upgrade, only 3,000 miles and working SXM on the Forester. Wouldn't have been my first choice in car but compared to the base Altimas and Malibus they could have given me I was happy to take this. The only hiccup was I found a full bag of unopened milanos when I opened the center console. Or perhaps it was actually a gift from the team? But likely something the cleaners missed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.