Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Bierjunge
I have two upcoming reservations in Tampa.

1. TPA to North Dale Mabry Highway HLE as a single day rental (class L4 FRAR)
2. North Dale Mabry Highway HLE to TPA as the "main" rental for 14 days (also L4 FRAR)

Question: I am in PC and as TPA has UC (the HLE doensn't), can I simply take a car from the UC lot in TPA and expect to keep it when I switch reservations at the HLE?
Since you reserved the same class, yes - if the car didn't suddenly catch some safety recall hold
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by corolla
Since you reserved the same class, yes - if the car didn't suddenly catch some safety recall hold
Even if I pick a car from another/higher category from the UC lot at TPA? Couldn't the HLE make me switch to the FRAR I have originally reserved with them since they don't offer any UC services there?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Even if I pick a car from another/higher category from the UC lot at TPA? Couldn't the HLE make me switch to the FRAR I have originally reserved with them since they don't offer any UC services there?
Are you trying to save on the airport fess by doing this transaction? You’re not guaranteed the same car but typically they will let it keep the one you have, perhaps call that HLE station in advance and ask??
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Are you trying to save on the airport fess by doing this transaction? You’re not guaranteed the same car but typically they will let it keep the one you have, perhaps call that HLE station in advance and ask??
Yes, the HLE is so much cheaper than TPA ($550 vs. $2xxx) for a 14 day rental period. It’s insane…
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have two upcoming reservations in Tampa.

1. TPA to North Dale Mabry Highway HLE as a single day rental (class L4 FRAR)
2. North Dale Mabry Highway HLE to TPA as the "main" rental for 14 days (also L4 FRAR)

Question: I am in PC and as TPA has UC (the HLE doensn't), can I simply take a car from the UC lot in TPA and expect to keep it when I switch reservations at the HLE?
Depends on the HLE staff. Typically, they will not let you keep a higher class car if it's something they can easily rent out of their office. Let us know your outcome.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:22 am

Depends on what kind of higher category. HLEs can't rent some classes out, like the dream car collection (but there's no way these are in the UC anyway). But you reserved L4 in the HLE and there are not too many classes higher than that. You should be fine for most things you find in UC.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: B
Received: T6 2021 Infiniti QX80 Luxe with California plates, 42,000 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM. I had the car for just under an hour, driving myself from Manhattan to JFK.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: B
Received: T6 2021 Infiniti QX80 Luxe with California plates, 42,000 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM. I had the car for just under an hour, driving myself from Manhattan to JFK.
Were you on empty when you got there?🤓
Auto Enthusiast, oftech and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The rented me out with a 4/8 tank of gas and the needle was a little over the half-full mark; I put $5 of gas in before I returned it. At least there was enough room for my luggage!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 7, 2022 at 8:20 am
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Telluride (TEX) Airport, CO
Reserved: Standard Car

I got a call from the Hertz the day before confirming my reservation. I let them know I'd be on the flight up from DEN. When I arrived at the desk the agent said "what's your name?" Once she confirmed I was Mr. CMK10 she handed me the keys to a 2019 Equinox with 36,000 miles parked out front. It's the fastest I've ever gotten my car.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:51 pm

NYC HLE. I casually said I'd prefer a newer car, and was asked (by a shockingly accommodating Hertz employee, a real rarity) a dreaded question: "Do you mean low miles or new model year?" As if getting both wasn't an option. I said "Uh, both" and it became pretty clear they didnt have much as I waited and they searched the garage for this unicorn concept-- a newish car.

They were going to give me a new Equinox when a bright red Charger pulled in. Not my cup of tea, but I asked about it, and it was brand new, 1100 miles. Happy to snag it.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:11 pm

That's probably because the old cars with low mileage are lease returns, and possibly more abundant than the recent model years. Those were likely purchased new during the chip shortage, spent their whole lives as rentals, and thus ran up heavy use.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Pretty bad experience at BUF. Had a Full Size booked and arrived at the Gold Booth. Contract wasn't ready. I don't think I've ever arrived at a small airport as a PC and not had my contract and keys ready for me.

I was given a 2019 Buick Envision with 41,800 miles. It had working XM at least but also was on a half tank of gas. To go along with the lack of contract being ready I've certainly never had a car at a Hertz airport location with less than a full tank.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Pretty bad experience at BUF. ... I've certainly never had a car at a Hertz airport location with less than a full tank.
I rent at BUF often, at least they didn't bus you to the actual off-airport location when they don't have cars on the airport lot. I've also gotten cars with less than full gas, it is not unique at this location because they have to bring airport-returned cars to the off-airport site to fuel them.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:16 pm

Have to say that (at least the NY city locations) are getting new cars again. Nothing special, but actual 2022 models, and without those FL or TX or CA license plates. Today I got a brand new Malibu with 5200 miles, NY license plate. The person ahead of me in line was doing the manager's special and got a brand new (lime green) Hyundai Venue; they also had a new Santa Fe being washed down as I pulled out. Just nice to see a shift away from 2018 post-lease FL cars.
Auto Enthusiast, oftech and Ordpc like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.