FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Lost hubcap experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1964827-lost-hubcap-experience.html)

MojaveFlyer Apr 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Lost hubcap experience

I recently had a rental in LAS and on my last day noticed a hubcap missing; I'd hit a pothole on a rough road and probably lost it there. I had no idea how this would be handled on return so I thought I'd describe it here. They noticed the missing hubcap, asked if I'd put on the spare, then said "We'll have to charge you for that'. No surprise, I'd expect to pay for the loss I caused. The return agent then looked something up on her mobile tablet and said "$21, should I put it on the card". No problem, reasonable price, great solution. It showed up on the receipt as "mobility aid" but whatever.

AutoSlash Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Yep, Hertz has a whole schedule for these things.

strickerj Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am

Some cars still have hubcaps? :p

AutoSlash Apr 11, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30989384)
Some cars still have hubcaps? :p

Only the cheap ones. :p

wadewei Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 30987276)
I recently had a rental in LAS and on my last day noticed a hubcap missing; I'd hit a pothole on a rough road and probably lost it there. I had no idea how this would be handled on return so I thought I'd describe it here. They noticed the missing hubcap, asked if I'd put on the spare, then said "We'll have to charge you for that'. No surprise, I'd expect to pay for the loss I caused. The return agent then looked something up on her mobile tablet and said "$21, should I put it on the card". No problem, reasonable price, great solution. It showed up on the receipt as "mobility aid" but whatever.

$21 sounds pretty reasonable. My VW stealership charged insurance $100 to replace a hubcap on my Jetta.

Often1 Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by wadewei (Post 30989556)
$21 sounds pretty reasonable. My VW stealership charged insurance $100 to replace a hubcap on my Jetta.

No, they charged you.

Wonder why premiums are what they are?

MojaveFlyer Apr 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 30987634)

Thanks, I had not known that. I did fret a bit about possible hassle and not knowing until much later what they would have wanted to charge me, whether to notify the credit card (rental damage coverage), etc. Fortunately I lost the hubcap only on the last day so I did not fret for long. Had I lost it earlier, I might have gone to a Napa or Autozone store to see if I could just buy it myself.

Auto Enthusiast Apr 11, 2019 8:35 pm

An auto parts store would probably sell you a clearly generic hubcap from inventory, not one that matches the manufacturer's design. The rental company would immediately see the difference, and charge you to replace it with original equipment parts anyway.

jim32190 Apr 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 30991115)
An auto parts store would probably sell you a clearly generic hubcap from inventory, not one that matches the manufacturer's design. The rental company would immediately see the difference, and charge you to replace it with original equipment parts anyway.

Depends on the agent checking in the car LOL when I had a flat tire, I exchanged my car, pointed to the tire, the lady just wrote the mileage and 8/8 gas and told me to go into the gold booth, and went to the next person.