Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's with the crazy difference between Hertz.com and Delta.com pricing?

Old Apr 9, 19, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I almost always book through Hertz.com and take Hertz points over miles because I redeem the points for one or two yearly cross-country road trips. The only time I don't book through Hertz and take points is when it's a franchise location. Most of the time Hertz.com is as low or cheaper than third-party websites.

Yet, recently I've noticed Delta.com to have significantly lower rates for the exact same car for the exact same dates at the exact same Hertz branch. What's up with this?

For example, Hertz.com gives me a quote of $287.24 at the St. Louis airport. The same car for the same dates is $118.27 on Delta.com.
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:33 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Surprised you're seeing lower rates on Hertz.com most of the time. It probably depends on what the default CDP is on your profile. When you book at Delta.com, they apply the Hertz CDP for Delta. In this case, it was probably lower than whatever got applied from your profile.

Worth mentioning here, that if you check rates via AutoSlash we check not one CDP, but all the ones you are eligible for based on information you provide to us. The more discounts that can be checked, the lower your rate, so probably worth comparing. You can also apply your Hertz Gold Rewards number on the checkout page to earn points, skip the counter, etc.
bozacksmith likes this.
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
FWIW, following up on AutoSlash's comment, I have seen a couple of my recent Hertz reservations through AutoSlash come up using the Delta CDP. I haven't seen that in the past that I can recall, so maybe Delta's getting better deals of late on a relative basis.
Old Apr 9, 19, 7:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Surprised you're seeing lower rates on Hertz.com most of the time. It probably depends on what the default CDP is on your profile. When you book at Delta.com, they apply the Hertz CDP for Delta. In this case, it was probably lower than whatever got applied from your profile.

Worth mentioning here, that if you check rates via AutoSlash we check not one CDP, but all the ones you are eligible for based on information you provide to us. The more discounts that can be checked, the lower your rate, so probably worth comparing. You can also apply your Hertz Gold Rewards number on the checkout page to earn points, skip the counter, etc.
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
FWIW, following up on AutoSlash's comment, I have seen a couple of my recent Hertz reservations through AutoSlash come up using the Delta CDP. I haven't seen that in the past that I can recall, so maybe Delta's getting better deals of late on a relative basis.
But is it normal for Hertz.com to be $168 more expensive? That's one heck of a deal through Delta.
Old Apr 9, 19, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
But is it normal for Hertz.com to be $168 more expensive? That's one heck of a deal through Delta.
What CDP were you using through the Hertz site? Not normal to see that big a discount off list for a CDP in my experience, FWIW.
Old Apr 9, 19, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What CDP were you using through the Hertz site? Not normal to see that big a discount off list for a CDP in my experience, FWIW.
Hertz member program.
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Hertz member program.
Which one is that? Not familiar with that CDP...
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Which one is that? Not familiar with that CDP...
See below:

Old Apr 9, 19, 9:34 am

The "Hertz Member Program" one can be decent in some cases and terrible in others. On the whole, we find it one of the lowest performers on average.

To answer your question, "But is it normal for Hertz.com to be $168 more expensive? That's one heck of a deal through Delta."--it is normal, but it's not specific to Delta. It's that different CDPs provide different discounts on different rentals. There is no one "best" code. It depends on the situation. By not checking multiple discount codes, you are potentially leaving a very significant amount of money on the table.
FlyinHawaiian and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
I booked Hertz thru Delta.com for a car pick-up at Spokane airport in February. Price was $55. Later Autoslash came back with a $25 offer for Hertz via Priceline. Canceled the Delta reservation and booked thru Autoslash. The Hertz rental was flawless and upgraded me from an econobox to an Acura.

I like earning Delta Skymiles, but at some point price does matter.
AutoSlash likes this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 10, 19 at 1:33 am
Old Apr 10, 19, 5:46 am

As an FYI, you can use the Delta CDP through Hertz, and get that price, while still earning Gold Rewards points, rather than DL miles.
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As an FYI, you can use the Delta CDP through Hertz, and get that price, while still earning Gold Rewards points, rather than DL miles.
How?
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:51 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The process for using any CDP via Hertz’ website is the same; obtain the CDP number (for Delta, in this case) and enter it in the OTHER field under the one you’ve been using for the Hertz Member Rate. If you add the CDP to your profile, then it will be even easier to use.
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:09 am

You can even earn DL miles when booking via the Hertz website. You just need to set your Hertz profile to earn miles/points instead of Gold Rewards points. Keep in mind that there may be a "recovery fee" or surcharge for buying the miles from DL (or whomever) on your behalf.
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
The process for using any CDP via Hertz’ website is the same; obtain the CDP number (for Delta, in this case) and enter it in the OTHER field under the one you’ve been using for the Hertz Member Rate. If you add the CDP to your profile, then it will be even easier to use.
What is the Delta CDP?

Search this Thread