FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   RFID tag on windshield (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1964431-rfid-tag-windshield.html)

docbert Apr 7, 2019 11:44 pm

RFID tag on windshield

Picked up a car at SFO a few days ago. In the lower-left of the windshield was what appears to be an RFID tag sticker.

When I returned it to my local HLE I checked their lot and a few other cars also had them, but most did not.

I'm guessing these might be related to the roll-out of CLEAR (which SFO doesn't have yet) as their mechanism of detecting which car you're in.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3528b35f16.jpg

kennycrudup Apr 8, 2019 1:33 am

How do you know (for sure) that it's RFID? It looks a lot like the ordinary-paper stickers National has been using for years for barcode check-in/check-out.

Silver Fox Apr 8, 2019 1:37 am

I have noticed them on Hertz cars before but mostly on one of the side windows for more years than I care to remember.

Auto Enthusiast Apr 8, 2019 11:12 am

Those bar code stickers have been in the bottom corner of Hertz windshields for at least the 10 years I've been renting.

docbert Apr 8, 2019 1:59 pm

Sorry, should have been clearer. I'm not referring to the barcode sticker. Look above it and you'll see a second black sticker in the clear part of the windscreen, pretty much right in the middle of the photo. This has no printing on it (on either side), and has a real thickness to it (more than 1/32" thick).

I don't know that it's RFID, but I can't see any other purpose for it.

Rental_Guy Apr 8, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30979089)
Sorry, should have been clearer. I'm not referring to the barcode sticker. Look above it and you'll see a second black sticker in the clear part of the windscreen, pretty much right in the middle of the photo. This has no printing on it (on either side), and has a real thickness to it (more than 1/32" thick).

I don't know that it's RFID, but I can't see any other purpose for it.

I believe those are the plate pass transponder. They are becoming my common on the vehicles.

cestmoi123 Apr 8, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy (Post 30979316)
I believe those are the plate pass transponder. They are becoming my common on the vehicles.

Interesting - so how do people with their own transponders, or who want to pay cash, block these? With the larger EZ Pass units, you can just close the box...

seawolf Apr 9, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 30979351)
Interesting - so how do people with their own transponders, or who want to pay cash, block these? With the larger EZ Pass units, you can just close the box...

Rip it off. :)

jmastron Apr 9, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 30979351)

As a data point, I had a car from SFO last week that I *think* had the same black sticker (but not 100% sure, and it's not clear in the video I took of the car). I held my Fastrak transponder up to the windshield and it registered/beeped/charged my account just fine.

kennycrudup Apr 9, 2019 10:31 am

I have a FasTrak account, and just "add a rental vehicle" to my account for that car with the rental dates on it before I get on any tollways and they charge it to my account instead of National's (avoiding NCR's fees). Just has to be done before you get charged the first time, as there's no grace period (as there's already an account setup on the car already).

jalves Apr 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy (Post 30979316)

Cars using "plate pass" don't have a transponder. The term "plate pass" refers to technology that reads the license plate of the vehicle and then looks up the registration to find the correct party to bill the toll to.

docbert Apr 11, 2019 1:41 am

Originally Posted by jalves (Post 30987118)
Cars using "plate pass" don't have a transponder. The term "plate pass" refers to technology that reads the license plate of the vehicle and then looks up the registration to find the correct party to bill the toll to.

I'm not sure if you're playing on semantics or being serious here, but just in case...

"PlatePass" is a company Hertz uses for toll charges, and in some states they most certainly do use transponders. Now technically "PlatePass" and "plate pass" are different, but I'm pretty sure it's the former that the previous poster was referring to.

1P Apr 12, 2019 9:27 am

On my last rental (LAX), the sticker was black on the outside but the inside had PlatePass and EZPass and other details printed on it. I didn't use a toll road, but it was good to know that I could have done.

Auto Enthusiast Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am

So the black label was just a label, with text, separate from the toll device?

oftech Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am

Could be a tag to let them into/out of a parking area or the cleaning area. The parking garage I use for work stopped issuing RFID tap cards and now uses stickers that look just like that, albeit white.