Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Low AdBlue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Level in Current Rental

Old Apr 3, 19, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Hello Hertz forum,

I just rented a diesel car at the MXP Hertz agency, and after a few km the AdBlue light came on and asked me to fill it up.

I tried to call the office but the choice menu doesn't work, and calling the helpline only yields very confused agents because I am not in need of roadside assistance, I just want to know whether they'll reimburse me.

Has anyone had experience with this problem? Shouldn't it be their responsibility like oil or window wiper fluid?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 3, 19 at 11:17 am Reason: added details to thread title for clarity
Old Apr 3, 19, 10:25 am

DEF fluid is pretty cheap, and driving around with it empty runs the risk of damaging the engine. I'd just fill it up and hang onto the receipt - there's a good chance they'll reimburse you.
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I'm not particularly worried about the cost of it, I just found it poor form (what other maintenance has not been done or done poorly?).

I'll fill it up and then request a refund.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:35 am

I'm with you, I think this is hertz responsibility. That said, it varies by car model how the warning shows up, so it's possible that when the car was checked over there was no warning showing.
On some models you can cycle the dashboard messages to see "how many miles to go before adblue runs out" - I was able to do that on a Mercedes I had recently.
Whatever - you cannot afford to let this run out. Virtually every car using adblue has software that will prevent the engine starting if the adblue track is empty.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:05 am

I've had this problem several times as I take 1-2 week rentals in Europe.

Option 1 is to drive into a Hertz location and they should be able to top up the DEF within 15 minutes if not busy.

Option 2 is to buy DEF from a gas station and to add it yourself. Unfortunately, I once bought a bottle but the Audi was missing the kit to open the DEF reservoir. I then took the car to a Volkswagen dealership in a small Polish city and Sixt deducted the 40 EUR charge from my rental.

Search this Thread